July 22, 2014

Stump the King - Wings

by Paul Goebel, posted Jan 21st 2008 8:03AM

The cast of WingsI need a little help this week...

"There was an episode of Wings where it was kind of an homage to Casablanca or Dragnet. This was a very funny episode but I don't know what season or episode. Two lines that may help you out. In the episode they all talk in a monotone voice. Joe (Tim Daly) says at one point "Why the hell am I talking like this". Also, someone says to Antonio, "You Scrapachi?" mispronouncing his last name. If you can help please do. Regards, Ian McCurdy"

I must admit, I was never a fan of Wings, so this particular episode is a complete mystery to me. If any of you have an idea what the title of this particular episode might be, please chime in.

Quite frankly, I was always surprised at the mediocrity of Wings. The cast was one of the most talented ever. Tim Daly, Steven Weber, Tony Shalhoub, Thomas Haden Church and the rest are all very funny. I am a huge fan of Monk and I have watched Daly & Weber on every canceled series they've had since. I'd be interested to hear what it was that made people keep watching.

Now for this week's question...

What was the name of Alex's dog?

Excellent work, Tele-Toby. Chopper is the correct answer.

Phish

if ur a big fan of monk, why arent u blogging it?

January 22 2008 at 2:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chadwick hansford

Wings is the greatest sitcom series ever! When you said a line from that episode I know exactly which one. I probably watch the complete series thru at least once or twice a year. That's right. Everyone has their quirks, this is mine.

January 21 2008 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wu Kong

With regards to Ian's question, the episode is entitled "The Lady Vanishes", and is episode 22 from Season 7. Antonio shares a special moment with a mystery woman in the terminal, but Joe calls him away before he can get her number. So he spends the episode trying to track her down with the help of the gang.

January 21 2008 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

Wings wasn't great or anything, but it was reasonably funny, and did have a great cast.

The closest I can think for the episode the guy's talking about was a two parter (Joe Blows) with a lengthy Sunset Boulevard homage. But no Bogart/Joe Friday voice that I can remember.

January 21 2008 at 10:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

What made me watch Wings? Probably the fact that it was part of the "Must See TV" line-up.

Oh, and it was entertaining.

January 21 2008 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

A homage to Casablanca or Dragnet. You'd think it would be easy to figure out the difference.

January 21 2008 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

Alex's dog was named Chopper.

January 21 2008 at 9:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply