October 25, 2014

David James Elliott returns to TV

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Jan 22nd 2008 7:42PM
David James ElliottSince the JAG series finale, many fans have been waiting for David James Elliott to return to TV. The actor eventually did when he landed the role of James Conlon in the CBS series Close to Home. His stay on the show was cut short when the series was canceled at the end of its second season (DJE appeared in 22 episodes of the series). Since then, the actor vanished from the small screen and fans have been patiently waiting (and watching reruns of JAG) for his return. But fans can now rejoice as Elliott returns to TV this week. The catch? It airs on a Canadian network!

This is of course not a problem for myself and TV Squad's Canadian readers. David James Elliott will appear in Global TV's The Guard, a one-hour drama about Coast Guard rescue specialists working out on the Pacific Ocean. Elliott will play David Nelson, a recurring character on the series.

The Guard debuts tonight (January 22) at 10 pm ET/PT on Global TV and also stars Andromeda's Steve Bacic. It is unknown if a U.S. network will buy the rights to air the series at a later time.

Shirley

How lucky you Canadians are - what about the poor DJE fans in the U.K. it is pot luck when we manage to find any of his films I have even tried to buy films but have had no success - anyway good luck to DJE hope all always goes well with him

April 04 2008 at 6:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabelle Carreau

I watched the premiere of "The Guard" last night. It's really character-development oriented. We do see them on the water and the premiere actually starts with the saving of a family stuck in a car that fell into the water (the father is safe on the shore not helping rescue is family).

DJE plays the husband (or ex) of one of the rescue people. He seems to be pretty messed up as if he is suffering from post-traumatic syndrome + headaches and maybe vision problems. He wasn't seen much in the episode and when he was on screen it was mostly in the dark and evasive. I sadly fell asleep 15 minutes before the end (not because the episode was boring (it was not) but because I was way too tired) so maybe he turned up in that time and more was revealed about his character. It'll be interesting to learn more about his past. I'll have to watch that part online.

I don't know if non-Canadians can watch the clips on the show's website, but the episode was uploaded (broken into 6 parts) and can be watched at : http://www.canada.com/globaltv/globalshows/theguard/video.html

January 23 2008 at 7:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elizabeth

I just went to the site and they have the show up. http://www.canada.com/globaltv/globalshows/theguard/video.html

I know what I'm doing tonight.

January 23 2008 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elizabeth

As everyone above....I miss DJE too. And I LOVE the idea behind the show....very The Guardian. That type of show would do really well here in the states especially with all the Coasties! Someone needs to pick it up either that or we need to have access to Global TV like we do BBC America.

My only solice about Catherine Bell is Army Wives...which is quite good too.

January 23 2008 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

I can't believe I missed this show... For the Americans et al that want to see it, try a streaming site? And while you're at it watch jPod.

January 23 2008 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bernadette

I also wish that this new TV show "The Guard" was being aired on US TV Stations. I am an avid fan of DJE. I feel as if the show is certainly of a higher caliber than many of the shows on the US airways.

January 23 2008 at 8:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CC

I wish we got more Canadian productions down here in Australia!

We didn't get to see the whole of 'Close To Home' Season 2 because it was cancelled in the US.

Nor do we see many of DJE's movies which aired in the US but not here.

PS: Patrick's TV wife [Harriet] was Karri Turner.

January 23 2008 at 7:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristen

I wish there was a way we could get more Canadian productions here in the US. I only have basic cable, so can't see many of the Canadian Productions.

January 23 2008 at 2:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth

I miss DJE! I wish they would make a tv movie with the whole gang from "JAG", DJE, Catherine Bell, John Jackson, Patrick L. and his tv wife, I can't remember her real life name. I never liked the guy who replaced John Jackson.

January 22 2008 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply