April 24, 2014

Medium: To Have and to Hold

by Paul Goebel, posted Jan 22nd 2008 11:39AM

Patricia Arquette(S04E03) "That's so not fair." - Ariel Dubois

Paris, 10CC, white wine, the only thing that could make this scene more romantic is a corkscrew through the hand. Am I the only one who immediately thought of the scene in True Romance when Patricia Arquette drives a corkscrew through James Gandolfini's foot? Good times.

Michael Gross looks good, right? He looks a lot older than Steven Keaton but he wears it well. Personally, I would be thrilled to see him as a recurring character, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't know how they do it but the way Arquette and Weber talk to each other just like a married couple is uncanny. It always makes me laugh to see him tease her the way he does and the way they react to Alison's dreams and visitors like they're no more odd than a wrong number is brilliantly effortless.

I think it's about time that some ordinary citizens come to Alison for help. I don't know why people weren't beating down her door in the first place. If I had a loved one who had gone missing under mysterious circumstances and I heard about a woman in Phoenix who can talk to dead people, I'd be all over it. How many Dubios' can there be in the area?

Not to discount Alison's gift but I really thought it was unlike her not to realize that Melissa's first husband had abducted her. The guy makes realistic, life-size dioramas for a living and is always wearing gloves. What more do you need? Even the police would peg him as the prime suspect once they started investigating. I guess naivete is the side effect of being an average suburban mom instead of a professional psychic.

Another moment that stuck in my craw was Scanlon's skecticism about the situation. Hasn't he learned by now that Alison is always right? It's fine to keep their relationship on the down low but if it wasn't for her, he'd still be doing puppet shows at elementary schools. This "Alison is a pariah" storyline is getting real old. All that being said, the image of Scanlon stepping over the Paris skyline was delightfully surreal.

The final scene certainly made up for any shortcomings this episode had. What is more frustrating than explaining to your kids that even when you do the right thing and help people you hardly know, you very often end up getting screwed? As my father and I are fond of saying, "Life isn't fair."

Which True Romance star would you like to see on Medium
Christian Slater40 (30.1%)
Dennis Hopper13 (9.8%)
Christopher Walken68 (51.1%)
Bronsan Pinchot5 (3.8%)
Michael Rapaport7 (5.3%)

Tess Capra

Katerae5, the song was 1975's "I'm Not in Love" by the British pop group 10cc. There are several hair-riffic versions on YouTube, including the original video and a concert video.

January 27 2008 at 6:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nansee

I agree with kenm re: Scanlon and scepticism. The point of the scene in the hallway was to show that he did believe in Allison. He offered her a way to let him conduct a search, even winking at her to make it clear that he was a card-carrying member of the Allison DuBuis Fan Club.

January 26 2008 at 3:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hz08

Ridiculously well-written as always. (if you ask me the show's premise doesn't deserve it but oh well beggars can't be choosers).

Paul- I think you forgot to file this under the category "Medium." I would use the corrections? link but it rarely gets results until I actually post it in the comments so that's what I'm doing.

January 23 2008 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
katerae5

What was the song that was playing in the background in the "Paris" hotel?

January 23 2008 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

This show is brilliantly written and acted. It gets better every season. The quality surprises me every time I watch and I don't surprise easily. :-)

Four weeks is WAY too long to wait - we're only 3 eps into the season. Guess they're saving their canned eps for the next sweeps.

Jake Weber, Patricia Arquette and Sophia V (Ariel) should all win emmys.

January 22 2008 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teddy

The two main elements this show's plots depend on are Alison's idiocy -- it takes her longer to figure out her own dreams than it would an average chimp -- and the fact that the DuBois family trips along from bad news to worse news without ever figuring out that maybe the universe IS against them.

January 22 2008 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jessie

I love this show and was very sad to see it wont be returning for four whole weeks. I just love Patricia Arquette. She is delightful - the casting for all roles in this show is so on it is just a joy to watch. The family interactions are so real.

I totally forgot about the cork screw scene in True Romance. Thanks for that!!

This show always amazes me in weird ways - some gruesome others not. Overall good balance of good and evil. I love the show - hope it doesn't go away for a very long time.

January 22 2008 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kenm

Scanlon wasn't skeptical. He was simply explaining that he couldn't just get a warrant based on her dream. Then he came up with the plan to call in a fire and be in the area so that he could search the buildings. That doesn't sound like skepticism to me.

January 22 2008 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply