July 30, 2014

Showtime's Brotherhood gets a third season

by Brad Trechak, posted Jan 22nd 2008 9:18AM
BrotherhoodAccording to the Hollywood Reporter, Showtime has given its crime drama Brotherhood a third season. While the show is not the best with regards to ratings, it has been a critical hit.

For those who don't watch, Brotherhood is the story of the Caffee brothers, who are members of an Irish mob family based in Providence, Rhode Island. The characters are loosely based on Winter Hill Gang member Whitey Bulger and his ex-politician brother William.

I haven't seen the show, but in doing some reading about the series it seems like an Irish family variation of The Sopranos (many critics have compared it to the latter. Some found in closer in tone to The Wire). It may start doing better since the ending of The Sopranos has left a void for more crime drama.

I do wish more networks would get behind the idea of keeping a show on the air if it doesn't get the best of ratings but rather it gets critical acclaim. That might have saved shows like Arrested Development.

Kenny Hayes

I find the show to be
In many instances better than the Sopranos
Which I also really enjoyed
The crime component is as gritty
And the political component vastly more
genuine and interesting
than for instance the Dr. Melfi premise on Sopranos.
Having grown up in the Olneyville section of Providence ...I am delighted by some of the locations used for the Brotherhood

I lived in the house next door to Mike Caffey's liquor Store on Valley Street
from season one
I also lived three doors up from
Freddie Cork's Green Bar on Westminster

March 19 2009 at 4:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

I thought the show was lost. It's truly one of the best shows written. I'm so glad to know it will continue. This show is the only reason I subscribe to Showtime!!

July 20 2008 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Hurray for the Irish! I love Brotherhood. Check out the movie "Townies" if you are into Irish mob movies.

January 23 2008 at 6:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MIke

Finally some good tv news

January 23 2008 at 12:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

Wow, this frankly was a surprise, and such a great one. I was so worried because I noticed that after "Dexter's" season finale they said they would have a new season next year, and I got worried because "Brotherhood" didn't have that promise of a new season after season 2's finale. Showtime has shown that they will get behind a series that has a cult but loyal fanbase to this series, and finally I can say a series has survived on its quality, and not just its quanity in viewers.

January 22 2008 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

I have to say I work in RI politics and this show is pretty close to the real thing.....except for the murderers.......oh wait...

January 22 2008 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Benjy

Finally, a brilliant show gets another chance.

Despite its odd ending this season (No reaction after Tommy telling Mike that he knew Freddie was going to try and kill Mike but didn't warn him), this season has been phenomenal and the acting is always stellar. "Brotherhood" is not "The Sopranos." It is far more blue collar than "The Sopranos" and delves into just as much of the political component as the criminal component.

If this coming season is the last season, I would love to see Michael get his due for his actions. In addition, I'd like to see Eileen, Tommy, and Declan get their heads on straight. Of course, the great thing about "Brotherhood" it is very real: nobody is completely good or bad. You get to see everyone's flaws in great detail.

January 22 2008 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
puffin

This is excellent news becuase it's such a great show. It's definitely one of the reasons Showtime has the best series going on premium TV.

January 22 2008 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

Thank you JEBUS!

Great show. I was shocked that the last episode of this season was actually the final one. Now we get to see the fall out of what Michael will do to his brother ... if anything ...

January 22 2008 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BobbyBuz

Great news! This is one of my favorites.

January 22 2008 at 9:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply