September 1, 2014

Boston Legal: Roe v. Wade, The Musical

by Paul Goebel, posted Jan 23rd 2008 9:02AM

Where ya been, Carl?(S04E12) "What's the tragic part... beside the music?" - Shirley Schmidt

My first reaction to the opening scene this week was one of amazement. First of all, who was it that decided Missy was the character everyone was dying to see again? I disliked the character the first time and, now that she is sans Selleck, I despise her. Furthermore, what person in their right mind is supposed to feel sympathy for a confessed semen thief who is so mentally unbalanced that she borders on dangerous? By the way, it takes a special kind of actor to pull off the racist comments without being completely offensive. Meredith Patterson is not that actor. Nice voice, though.

To be fair, I had no sympathy for Terrence either. His argument made perfect sense but you simply can not force a woman to stop being pregnant. No court in the world is going to order a mentally sound woman to have an abortion even if it is through a pill even the judge said as much. His only recourse was to sue for damages. There's no law that says he has to be with Missy in order to be there for his baby. That whole argument is ludicrous. More importantly, if he didn't want to be with Missy, he could have walked away before she secured his sample.

To make matters worse, the case becomes a lame battle of the sexes for everyone in the office. Since when do the misfits at Crane, Poole & Schmidt take sides based on their sex? Isn't Carl supposed to only care about winning and making money and am I supposed to believe that the constantly self-objectifying Lorraine is now concerned about another woman's rights?

As if Missy's return wasn't bad enough, Leigh Swift decides to waltz back in as well. Is it really a good idea to hire the one lawyer who hates you because you dumped him for an iPhone? I hate to sound like a broken record but Leigh knew the rules and the consequences for breaking them. Public school is no place for civil disobedience, whether it's by a student or a teacher.

I have always enjoyed Jere Burns in the past. Too bad that stopped tonight. He was clearly phoning in his performance in tonight's episode. I saw a better performance from Burns as Lindsay Lohan's dad in Life Size.

The only saving grace in the episode was James Spader's hilarious performance. It seems that the more ridiculous the case, the funnier he is.

Speaking of hilarious, why has it been so long since we've seen Carl Sack? I actually forgot how funny Larroquette is in the role. Is it just me or does it seem that the writers have a tough time writing scenes that feature both Denny and Carl? Their one scene together this episode was hardly Emmy material.

I had all but tuned out by the time everyone finished their closing speeches. Quite frankly, after a season of Alan's politicizing, I have heard more than enough. At least Leigh's case had the right outcome. As for Jerry, I know his choices are limited but, as Katie has tried to convince him, he can do better.

Would you want a teacher to be allowed to hug your child?
Yes152 (87.4%)
No22 (12.6%)

Teddy

It's a trademark of David Kelley shows that the most annoying and/or "outlandish" guest characters will be brought back again and again.

And it's a trademark of this show that whatever side Alan is arguing for, no matter how ridiculous, will win -- unless the deck is stacked in the other side's favor, as in this case when Jerry lectured Katie on how to beat Alan in court.

January 23 2008 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CW

I LOVE this show.! BEST on TV.!! This episode was kinda silly, but hey... It was still entertaining, interesting, and made a few points. Or at least left us with food for thought. Wish Shirley would do something about that "Courtney Love hair"......... James Spader is GREAT.!.

January 23 2008 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

"Public school is no place for civil disobedience, whether it's by a student or a teacher." What! Since when should students not stand up for what they believe just because they're high schoolers? That has to be the silliest thing I've heard in a long while. Now, that's doesn't mean I think the annoying Leigh was right in what she did. OK, the first time I understand, but once she was warned it became her own fault she was fired. As for teachers hugging a student, I agree with the judge: we've gone too far. Simply because there have been some horrible people out doesn't mean every teacher, priest, or authority figure is a molester in hiding. It's one thing to be vigilant, and we can teach our kids to know the difference and to always feel comfortable talking to us about it, but it's gone too far when a teacher can't even place a finger on a student for fear of a lawsuit.

Of course, Americans are to blame for this. They're the ones who sit on juries that make these outrageous monetary penalties against school districts. Their need for vengeance is what's driving schools to create these rules, and in the long run I think students will suffer for it.

As for the abortion case, it was stupid. I know the point was to bring up the issue of how men are sidelined when it comes to making decisions about whether or not a woman can abort their child, even as a pro-choice person I struggle with that, but this case was just set up in a very stupid way. Semen stealing! Court-ordered abortions! Come on!

I think I may be growing weary of this series because I just don't enjoy it as much as I used to.

January 23 2008 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

THEY LOST!

YAY! :)

January 23 2008 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gig

The fact that you watched "Life Size" kinda makes me question your qualifications to criticize "Boston Legal."

January 23 2008 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RC

My favorite laugh out loud moment was Alan Shore "if I were joking I would have went like this" and then he strikes the pose with a big smile and pointing his fingers at Shirley.

I also enjoyed:
Judge: "you can't be suggesting a court ordered abortion?"
Alan: "I am your honor, isn't it exciting?"

January 23 2008 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

Great episode. Classic Boston Legal.

The songs cracked me up. Xanadu???

January 23 2008 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trisha Smith

Sometimes there just has to be a show filled with the "comedy of errors", where everybody loses, and everybody says the wrong thing! I think this one was it!

January 23 2008 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply