August 29, 2014

John Ritter's family sues over his death

by Brad Trechak, posted Jan 24th 2008 8:01PM
Three's CompanyJohn Ritter's widow Amy Yasbeck is suing two doctors who treated her husband before his death in 2003. She is suing for the potential earnings of the show he starred in before his death, 8 Simple Rules For Dating My Teenage Daughter.

I'm kind of ambivalent regarding this lawsuit. On one hand, the death of a loved one is always a tough time and my heart always goes out to anybody who lost someone special in their lives. On the other hand, we have too many frivolous lawsuits in this country and suing a couple of doctors isn't going to bring John Ritter back.p>Doctors are human and make mistakes. John Ritter had a congenital heart defect that multiple doctors missed. This lawsuit will only drive up everybody's health insurance costs.

The Ritter family has already received $14 million in settlements, including $9 million from the hospital in which he died. At the risk of sounding heartless, I think it's time for Mrs. Ritter to let go.

Brad Boyd

I survived an aortic dissection in July 2004. It was originally diagnosed as Acid Reflux and I was told I could go home. Another doctor in the ER remembered John Ritter showing similar symptoms and ordered me back to bed and a CT scan that saved my life. It is a disorder frequently misdiagnosed through, I believe, a lack of experience in dealing with it. I do not believe ER doctors previously knew what to look for. Thanks in large part to the Ritter Family's sacrifice, my life and untold others' has been saved. This country's laws allow for legal action to recover damages for negligence and for lost wages. I hold no grudges towards my original doctor. He is a good man, and still my cardiologist. But in the Ritters' case, I am proof that timely intervention can save someone with our shared condition. Mrs. Ritter is a kind and generous person who has devoted a lot of time and money towards helping educate doctors about this condition, and help genetic researchers search for a cure and cause of this condition. I too hate "frivilous" lawsuits but I disagree that this is one of those. John Ritter had the potential to earn a lot of money on his future work. His celebrity status should have no more bearing on his family's right to seek compensation than it would for my wife or anyone else's. If it is proven that the doctors were negligent, and not as mere case of human error, then they should be held responsible. If not, the Jury will decide in their favor. I have never met Mrs. Ritter, but I have spoken with her. She was kind enough to contact me and wish me well. She also wants to do more to educate and help others. I am a huge fan of hers as a human being and wish her and her family nothing but the best. Those of you who criticize her for "greed" or worse are entitled to your opinions, but you are speaking from ignorance. I hope you will allow the facts to speak for themselves.

February 06 2008 at 10:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vivi

I heard John Ritter had a blocked aorta not the heart it self I wonder if thats what happened.

February 06 2008 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ross Bielema

Properly triaging a patient at the hospital is crucial. Ritter had an aortic dissection...not a heart condition. I had the same thing and my hospital caught it, saving my life by minutes. There are simple tests and a CT scan can find it. If you don't act fast with an aortic dissection (tear in the wall of the aorta), you die. The facts indicate a major mess-up. There are many frivolous lawsuits...this isn't one of them! Ritter's case has already made more doctors and hospitals aware of aortic dissection...it's possible his case actually helped save my life! Thanks.

February 05 2008 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Survivor

PROVIDENCE SAINT JOSEPH HOSPITAL NEEDS TO BE INVESTIGATED !!

On August 15, 2006 I went into that facility for a routine procedure. Following surgery, I developed a nosocomial (hospital-acquired) case of 'Man-eating Flesh Disease" ...NECROTIZING FASCIITIS. My two day stay turned into two months and 6 more surgeries to save my life and leg.

To date the hospital assumes no responsibility and says I must have had 'man-eating flesh disease' when I came there. Strange how the pre-op test never found that.

I am still healing from the ordeal and fighting to get a normal life back. Medical errors kill over 98,000 people in this country a year. Hospital infections kill another 100,000. (per the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention in Atlanta.) Yet after numerous complaints while I was still in the ICU, my family could not get the LA Public Health dept to come out and investigate.

I hope the Ritter family hits them hard where it counts...the bottom line. Lucky for them and the Quaids they are famous. Otherwise they would be in the same boat as the rest of us - fighting the $250,000 MICRA CAP and unable to get justice!

www.youtube.com/AmendtheCap

January 27 2008 at 8:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susi

He's gone. She already got a settlement. To ask for anything more is greedy. It also drives up the cost of healthcare for everyone. It won't bring him back. So just stop.

January 25 2008 at 9:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Susi's comment
Stigmata

susi, lets hope nothing horrible happens to your husband / father / kids / siblings etc.. but if it does, then lets see how 'rationally' you behave!

talk is cheap!

January 25 2008 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

I'm not 100% sure about this lawsuit. Ritter's death was unfortu..... ooochimama, Suzanne Somers used to be HOT! I'd thighmaster that alllll night long, if you know what I'm saying...

January 25 2008 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zackdawg

Why don't we wait until a judge or jury evaluates this suit before we dismiss it as frivolous or judge the character of the widow bringing the suit? Is there something that we are missing out on if we simply wait for the facts to develop before we pass judgment on the players involved? Especially when it is acknowledged that more than a hundred thousand annually lose their lives to medical error.

January 25 2008 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Zackdawg's comment
FedUp,

My Father died because of the negligence of several doctors, none of which were, or will ever be, held accountable for it since we do not have money to pursue the situation. Why is it in this supposed great country that the ONLY people that can get justice are the ones that can pay for it? NOT the ones that also deserve it?????????? Several "DOCTORS" misdiagnosed what was wrong with my Father and that ultimately led to his death. Does anyone care about that? NO, because we are not rich!

January 25 2008 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric H

If the doctors were negligent then they should be sued, if not its a pointless lawsuit. Simple as that.

January 25 2008 at 8:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Party! US court stupidity. I just love it :-)

January 25 2008 at 6:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

I do not think she's doing it for the money! I think his family isn't about to let the hospital where he died forget. Goes to show what our doctors are doing now days. Absolutly nothing. Ya, nearly 5 years past, his family can not forget it. I see him such a happy guy in the "8 Simple Rules", which is one of the best shows that I have ever seen. I found it is funny, heart felled, sad, and everything: http://dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?deal_id=80260&ru=279 , John ritter is priceless no matter what he did... and in the show he was just gold! WHAT A PITY! MISS HIM!

January 25 2008 at 4:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply