April 24, 2014

Roger Ebert has more surgery today

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 24th 2008 3:27PM

EbertWe've all been waiting a long time for Roger Ebert to come back to his seat on Ebert & Roeper, and now it looks like we might have to wait a while longer.

Ebert writes in a message on his web site that he has gone in for more surgery today. He doesn't go into details about the procedure, but he says that he hopes that this will "solve some problems I've been living with." He won't be in the hospital as long as he was before, but it's not day surgery either. He'll be in there long enough to have prepared some film reviews and other columns in advance so they can run while he's away.

By the way, a side note: in the message, Ebert says he'll be "in hospital." When did we all turn British? I've been noticing this a lot the past few years. People are saying "in hospital" instead of "in the hospital" and "go to prom" instead of "go to the prom." Maybe the phrases changed when I wasn't paying attention (I also find it odd when people end sentences with "come with").

Hurry back to your seat Roger. Get well soon.

Buffy

I hate when someone says when something matters, "at the end of the day," this or that. What about at the end of the week or the end of the month? Does it still matter?

January 28 2008 at 8:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

"Want to come with?" I've only heard in the Midwest.

My pet peeve are the TWO words "a" "lot." It is not "alot." It is "a lot." Two separate words. It's annoying that otherwise educated people write 'alot.' Look in your dictionary. ALOT IS NOT A WORD.

January 28 2008 at 12:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
COMMENTER

YOU GUYS directed at women cause me TO LEAVE the restaurant etc

January 27 2008 at 11:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris1968

I believe proper grammar is going out of style and in 50 years time,all the pet peeves of speech mentioned will be the norm,sadly.

January 27 2008 at 10:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debbi

What I can't stand is the phrase, "my bad" what is that all about? Where did that come from? It drives me up a wall!

January 27 2008 at 9:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanne

I love this subject! When did the word "work" become a noun instead of a verb? As in "he came by my work today."
And I hear many people say "All the sudden" instead of "all of a sudden."

January 27 2008 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mea

I first heard the "come with" on TV shows the last couple of years. It makes me crazy, too. In Canada they say, "Go to University" instead of " go to the university." The first time I ever heard someone say "stand on line" it was from a person who was not originally from the US and I just thought they had it wrong. I didn't know at the time it was so common. Speaking of people from other countries not really getting idioms, a friend of mine once told me a woman who was from another country originally was telling her about her new car. "It can stop on ten cents!" she bragged LOL!

January 27 2008 at 8:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deirdra

Most of this stuff we see on language is due to the internet. Sometimes, I wonder if anyone in the US
can spell and talk and write the language instead of
the BFF LOL POS, just junk lingo for kids, certainly
not for adults. It is amazing how illiterate they sound,
or maybe are. I find it truly amazing how many do not
know the difference between two, too, or to.
D

January 27 2008 at 8:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patricia

THe one phrase, heard a lot, where I live, is, Someone is calling "out" from work, or school, instead of calling in, sick, or whatever. Drives me nutz!

January 27 2008 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BigBird1017

I am very impressed!
All this correct English!!
I COULD CARE LESS!!!

If you all speak that well, you should be in a Sales Career!!!!
Why don't you get jobs as rel-A-tors?

January 27 2008 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply