August 20, 2014

Six worst prizes you can win on The Price Is Right

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 24th 2008 11:18AM

The Price Is Right logoJason's post earlier today about The Price Is Right reminded me of something I've been thinking about for years: what are the best and worst prizes you can win on the show?

This is all personal opinion, of course. Where I might frown or shrug at a prize I might win another person will scream and jump down about. But I think there are certainly some prizes we can all agree are pretty lame. Below are the six that come to mind. Five of them you'll probably agree with, but I bet several of you will have a problem with number six.

1. Sauna/hot tub. This could be great for someone with a big house and a yard (and extra room), but who else could use this? I've been waiting three decades for someone to sarcastically say to Bob (and now Drew) "yeah, that will look great in my studio apartment."

2. Jet ski. Wow, talk about a product designed for a specific type of person. You'd have to really be into sports of this type (and live near water) to use something like this. I bet this is a prize that a lot of contestants sell on Craigslist. "For sale: one unused jet ski. I won it playing the Grocery Game on The Price Is Right! Must sell."

3. A chandelier. WTF?

4. Karaoke machine. I think this will be fun for about six days (four if you have kids), and then you're going to say "this is all I won on The Price Is Right?"

5. Trampoline. This is one of those gifts that are offered and you can kinda see the excitement drain from the face of the contestant who might win it. A trampoline! That looks like ... fun.

6. A car. Yeah, that's right, a car. Everyone screams and jumps up and down and wets their pants when Rich announces that the prize is a car, and I was always excited as a kid when that was the prize (ah, the days when a new car was well under $10,000), but now? I see it as just another bill to pay: taxes, insurance, gas, maintenance on the car, and who knows if you can even get a car close to your home or have to drive the thing from the West Coast. Maybe it's an L.A. thing, getting excited over cars. If the show was filmed in New York City they'd probably have less car prizes.

lovingthedesert

The worst is not a car...but a boat when you live in the desert. Also, outdoor kitchen, designer shoes, and pool table, fooz ball table, or air hockey...oh and a motorcycle...not everyone want's to ride suicide. Cash out...

June 03 2014 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trix

They wouldn't have lass car prizes, they'd have fewer car prizes. Come on man - you're writing for the Huff Post - learn the difference between less and fewer!

January 27 2014 at 10:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sirbootsalot

TPIR was the funnest free thing I ever did! I won a car and took the $17,500 opt out! dont go to LA without free ticks to TPIR!!!

August 21 2013 at 9:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey

well california population is outnumbered by owned cars duh,lol. and i would deff not mind winning a hottub. ir u dont want it then sell it. either way u win.

January 18 2012 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
church25@att.net

WELL WHEN YOU WIN PRIZES ON THE PRICE IS RIGHT THANK ABOUT THE TAXES IT COST MORE FOR TAXES THAN WHAT IT WORTH THEY TELL THE PEOPLE TO BE EXCIETED

February 17 2011 at 8:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott5114

I want to be a contestant on The Price is Right someday, but I personally could care less about what I could win. To me it's about the fun of going on the show and playing the game to the best of your ability. I'd be happy with just the satisfaction of having beat the house!

Of course, that doesn't mean I would waive all my prizes, because, well, I've won them. If I won a hideous recliner or something, I'd be more willing to waive it than pay taxes on it, though.

April 22 2008 at 11:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark A Warren

I was JUST notified by TPiR that when we attend the shows this month for my 41st Birthday that we will be appearing on the Million Dollar Extravaganza. My wife and I are extremely excited and have been looking forward to just attending for quite some time.

I have read all the comments all of you have posted and admit there are some prizes that would be "useless to our appeal or lifestyle" but all can be sold for multiple dollars over the taxes we would pay on the prizes. Sure we have to pay the "up front" money on the taxes and trasnsportation back to our home in the Midwest but it would still pay for itself once sold. Like the saying goes, "you never get anything for FREE". Honestly, I'm just looking forward to meeting Drew Carey, and he has a personality, unlike what Bob Barker had.....and I BELIEVE Drew Carey will keep his hands off the models unlike others!!!!!! haha

April 04 2008 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aaron m

Would anyone be interested in buying a wine cooler for 700.00? its worth 1000.00.......send a message to gatorhockey40515@yahoo.com

February 15 2008 at 1:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CDN Crockett

A North American car!

January 28 2008 at 9:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Candi

i really think that The Price Is Right is a joke. Don't get me wrong. I do like Drew Carrie & all, but...That game show is a joke!!

January 27 2008 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply