July 23, 2014

The Fonz to get statue in Milwaukee

by Brad Trechak, posted Jan 25th 2008 7:07PM
Happy DaysIt looks like the "Bronze the Fonz" campaign worked. The archetypical Happy Days character will be getting his own bronze statue in the city where the T.V. show was set.

This isn't the first time a television character has gotten a statue. I live near New York City and I walk past the Ralph Kramden statue every time I take the bus. The cable channel TV Land has arranged for a half-dozen statues to be placed across America. TV Land is co-sponsoring the Fonzie statue as well.Henry Winkler is quoted as saying the project was "a phenomenal compliment". Granted, the man's career nosedived after this role, but very few of us get to be part of Americana like this. I do admit that if I ever visit Milwaukee after this is built, I will likely get a photo of myself next to the statue giving the double-thumbs-up and saying "Ayyyyyyy".

Of course, the U.S. isn't the only country that builds statues to fictional characters. In London's Hyde Park, there is a statue of Peter Pan. What other American television characters should be getting a statue? Mork? Urkel? Lucy Ricardo? Captain Kirk?

Jose Tucker

Nothing says Happy days, like Erin Moran (joni) losing her marbles, check out TMZ!

April 10 2008 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tess Capra

Laverne and Shirley must be pissed.

January 26 2008 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
markyz

The fonz became a big geek..What the heck happened? Talk about train wreck. Didnt he ever hear of lifting weights? I thought he had a rep to protect. You coulda been huge fonz.. Thats why he tanked. He not only lost his cool. he lost his mojo and. Sorry Henry... You were the man. Then you blew it and sat on it. You became Potsie, Richie, Al and Ralph Malph all in one. You were funny in night shift. What am I talking about. haahah LOL

January 26 2008 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

There are statues of the Peanuts characters in St. Paul, MN, birthplace of Charles Schulz.

January 26 2008 at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ManekiNeko

Remember Arnold's restaurant in Milwaukee? It actually exists, and it's ludicrously small. It's like a damn ice cream stand or something. Even as a ten year old child, I was disappointed... I guess I was expecting the big revolving sign, a jukebox that played music when you hit it, Pat Morita, and all that other fun stuff.

January 26 2008 at 6:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply