November 23, 2014

Craig Ferguson -- U.S. citizen

by Richard Keller, posted Jan 29th 2008 4:43PM

U.S. citizen Craig FergusonWell, not quite...Craig Ferguson will become an official U.S. citizen in a few weeks. However, as the talk show host mentioned on the Late Late Show Monday night, he did take the test to become a United States citizen and received a perfect score. Something a good portion of U.S. citizens probably could not do (end of commentary on American society).

His quest for citizenship actually began as a joke last year when Ferguson was named an honorary citizen by the mayor of Ozark, Arkansas. After that he began a campaign to get the same designation in other towns and cities. The campaign caught on and, as of this writing, Craig has been named as an honorary citizen of over 16,000 communities and 23 states nationwide.

Some of the questions that Ferguson had to answer on the citizenship test were "What month is the new president inaugurated?", "Who is the chief justice of the Supreme Court?" and "Who is your favorite American Idol judge?" I believe that if you answered 'Simon Cowell' your citizenship test was immediately rejected.

Brainfish

Aye well, he owes me a couple of beers from the last time he was "home"

LOL Can't believe someone I used to go to the pub with is now so famous in the US

January 30 2008 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

Ferguson: Colbert (almost) got a bridge in Hungary, and all I got was this lousy U.S. citizenship.

January 30 2008 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrC

Just a correction, the honorary citizenship thing was a joke, Mr Ferguson has been talking about his quest for citizenship long before the whole "honorary citizenship is legally meaningless" quest began.

January 30 2008 at 4:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Yeah I guess only people with at least half a brain and a bit of humor can laugh about his bits.

All the others (those that lack the other half) enjoy Leno.

January 30 2008 at 12:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Congrats, Craig!!

Now if only he was funny, he would have a bright future in front of him.

January 29 2008 at 8:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Awesome news, party at his house! :)

And he hosted the Boston Pops fireworks last year for CBS.

January 29 2008 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

Congrats to Craig!!!

January 29 2008 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Yeah, he takes the pledge on Friday, and I'm betting it happens on his show and led by the Governator. Personally, if I were David Letterman, I'd make sure I was there for my #1 employee's citizenship pledge.

January 29 2008 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

A few weeks? I thought on the show he said that he was going to be sworn in on Friday?

January 29 2008 at 5:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply