December 18, 2014

Michael Vick's ex-dogs get their own show

by Jason Hughes, posted Jan 29th 2008 11:31AM
Michael VickSeriously?! Is this what it's come to. Not only does every C- and D-List celebrity get their own reality series, but now we're giving shows to animals from the news? Sure it's great that the National Geographic Channel show Dogtown is going to try and rehabilitate the dogs that Michael Vick used in his dogfighting gambit, but is this really TV-worthy? Does the channel really need to stoop this low?

Apparently they could use the buzz, and look it worked because here we are: Nat Geo is going to chronicle the rehabilitation efforts of the 22 animals rescued in the Vick scandal, focusing on four of the toughest cases. I certainly hope they're successful, because I think if an animal proves unable to rehabilitate, they have no choice but to put it down. That'd make for a hell of a downer to end the series. "In the end, the dogs were too far gone, hopelessly driven by fear and violence. Let us now say goodbye as they take their final slumber into eternity ... Damn you, Michael Vick! Damn you straight to hell!" Then PETA stages a protest.

vsmith28213

I would much rather see a show on dogs being rehabilitated then a stupid show on some dumb bimbo with big boobs getting drunk, or some rock star trying to quit drugs, or some has been trying to be life coached!! Abuse of animas is REAL!! Too many of us turn our heads because we don't like to watch it. Maybe if we were able to see these animals in a different light, more action would be taken to help crack down on the abusers! Oh...and I would much rather watch a dog show then read the garbage you call writing!!

November 08 2011 at 8:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chloe Webb

Michael Vick sickened people. He had 47 abused and neglected dogs shackled in the woods as well as a pile of dead ones that were put down because they didn't want to fight. 2 of these dogs had to be euthanized after the rescue. Really disturbing. A special like this will allow not only these dogs, but people sickened by this news, to heal.

Michael Vick got off EASY. This is HBO documentary level, not reality TV.

Dogtown and organizations that take care of these dogs, as well as Cesar Milan and animal benefactors are angels; they stick by these animals unconditionally and that's pretty amazing.

February 13 2008 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chloe Webb

When reality tv is actually GOOD! Michael Vick got off easy and heabsolutely should be paying AT LEAST 1 MILLION for torturing and abusing trusting dogs for entertainment. Dogtown and other organizations who tick by these animals, are angels. He had these dogs in varying states of abuse and neglect shackled to tire irons. 47 dogs were found and 2 were euthanized.

There's 45 dogs to replace the star that was Michael Vick who sickened people around the world with this story. People and these dogs have a chance to heal together.

Now that's quite an amazing STORY!

The Meerkats were campy and fun in a soap opera kind of way on Animal planet, but Nat Geo latched onto something really hot. People like Cesar Milan, who is also not a reality t.v. star, paved the way for Nat Geo do some on more of an HBO Documentary Special level.

Finally something I can watch on one of the 800 stations on my t.v. that rebroadcasts the same old re-runs.

February 13 2008 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chloe Webb

When reality tv is actually GOOD! Michael Vick got off easy and he absolutely should be paying AT LEAST 1 MILLION for torturing and abusing trusting dogs for entertainment. Dogtown is like the guardian angel for animals, sticks by them. This is not cheesey t.v. entertainment. Whatever happened to athletes being someone worthy of being admired? I don't really find any of these questions ~trival~

February 13 2008 at 8:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

This has nothing to do with "stoop(ing) this low." And I do believe that the rehabilitation of these dogs is news worthy, at least to those of us who are interested in their welfare. Most dogs involved in dog fights that have wound up at animal shelters across the country have been killed, but the treatment of these dogs in this highly publicized case shows progress, that shelters are willing to try a more humane route to treat animals that have been forced to engage in dog fighting. And I can't wait to see Dogtown on National Geographic to see the progress and rehabilitation of the dogs that have been living at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. I think the only people who have stooped so low are those who torture, mistreat and victimize pit bulls every day for this disgusting sport. People need to get over the perception that they are just animals. They are living, breathing things that deserve to live out good lives just as much as human beings do. This is a case study, in a sense, and I think maybe that's where you may have missed the point. And, as I've read, most of the animals at Dogtown have already started showing signs of progress.

February 05 2008 at 1:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

BADRAP is exactly right, a number of those dogs are living in foster homes as we speak. Some of the homes have other dogs in the household. As for the ones at Dogtown, they are doing very well. How do I know this? Because I am here with them and have been since day one. DT3 is the perfect example of how the breed got the reputation they have. Just some mindless moron who will believe anything that Nancy Grace says.

February 05 2008 at 1:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BADRAP

You guys missed the big headlines. Many of the Vick dogs are already in homes, living as family pets.

Enjoy!

January 30 2008 at 11:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chase

you know what they say, you can take a dog away from Mike Vick, but you can never take away the Mike Vick from a dog.

January 29 2008 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
david

worst idea ever.

these dogs arent the typical "dog whisperer, my dog wont stop peeing on the carpet" type dogs. These are animals that have been breed, trained, and taught to do nothing but attack. I dont think any amount of training/loving will take all of the mike vick out of the dog.

If you know someone who has worked with pits before and has a large farm or something for them to live on, great. Give the dogs to them. Unfortunately, I dont think there is that big of a market for killer dogs. I hate to say it but the best option for these dogs is to put them down. Otherwise its just a matter of time til we are reading about how one of them attacked (and possibly killed) someone.

January 29 2008 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to david's comment
Horse N. Buggy

I think your statement is pretty rash. I'd much rather watch Cesar Milan (if that's who they give the show to) attempt to rehabilitate these dogs than some pampered "rat dog" that attacks any human who sits on "his" couch. Ultimately, all the dogs that receive attention on Nat Geo (I HATE that nickname) shows are screwed up because of the way people have treated them (feeding their insecurities, not administering discipline, not exercising them, etc.).

I don't know enough about dogs to blatantly say these have no hope of rehab. But I would like to see someone try. Obviously, if it doesn't work out, then I agree that they need to be put down and the fault for that lies with the humans who bred and trained them to fight.

As far as rehab shows go, this sounds much more promising than VH-1's Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew.

January 30 2008 at 8:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vince

Given the popularity of NatGeo's "Dog Whisperer" show, I am sure there is an audience for watching Vick's dogs get rehabilitated. My spouse pointed to the morning news show today featuring this effort.

We will probably be watching the Dogtown series too.

January 29 2008 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply