August 28, 2014

Six reasons to look forward to season four of Lost

by Erin Martell, posted Jan 29th 2008 3:02PM

Season Four cast of Lost

We've reached the "Beginning of the End," folks. In just a few days, Lost will return for an eight-episode run. In honor of the show's return, I've come up with six reasons why I'm eager to see what's in store for Jack, Kate, Hurley, and the whole 815 gang. Feel free to share your own reasons in the comments section below.

Lance Reddick: Fans of The Wire are already familiar with Lance Reddick. Since 2002, Reddick has played Cedric Daniels, a politically-savvy commanding officer in the Baltimore police department. I'm thrilled that this brilliant actor will get to showcase his talents to a larger audience. Little is known about Reddick's role, but his voice and his intimidating physique (6'4" and ripped) make him a prime candidate for the show's newest villain. The character's name, Matthew Abbadon, indicates that this man will be bad news. Perhaps if Reddick does well on the show, he can put in a good word for some of his former co-stars. Omar would be a fantastic Other, don't you think?

A new set of villains: Do you remember how exciting it was when you first heard about the Others? The island "hostiles" quickly took over the Black Smoke Monster's position as scariest thing on the island. With the introduction of the freighter folks, we get to watch a whole new batch of (potential) bad guys mix it up with the 815 survivors. Ben was convinced that the arrival of the visitors meant death for everyone else. Jack's flash-forward made it clear that something terrible will happen before Jack and Kate return home. Now that we know that the freighter isn't part of Penny's rescue team, the possibilities are endless.

Ben Linus--now with 50% more manipulation: With the impending arrival of the freighter crew, it's a safe bet that Ben will be working overtime to maintain control of the island. Ben looked pretty desperate the last time we saw him. At the close of the Season Three finale, two of his people betrayed him, several were killed, and the rest of the Others were asking questions. To make matters worse, Locke was alive and Jack made contact with the outside world. You can never count Ben out, though. He's done some of his best maneuvering when backed into a corner. I'm guessing that this ruthless man has a few more tricks up his sleeve.

Round four of Locke vs. Jack: These two seem destined to be at odds until the show's end. Every season, Locke and Jack find new reasons to argue--the hatch, Ben, leadership of the island, etc. Their conflict reached a turning point last season, when Jack successfully contacted Naomi's colleagues on the freighter. Locke's obsession with staying on the island will once again pit him against Jack's desire for rescue. Terry O'Quinn recently won an Emmy for his Lost role, and I'm excited to see what he does with his character this year. Locke's already stabbed Naomi and threatened Jack's life. How will he respond to the newest threat to his agenda?

More flash-forwards: Last season's huge revelation--that some of the 815ers make it off the island--changed the show dramatically. At the very least, we know that Jack and Kate return to the mainland, and that a third unknown character dies in the future. The flash-forward left me with a million questions. Why is Jack suicidal? Why isn't Kate in prison in the future? I can't wait to get some answers, along with more questions, in the next eight episodes. Hopefully we'll learn how the other survivors fit into the new timeline as well.

It's new, scripted content: We're not getting the full sixteen-episode season we expected, but it's hard to complain about new episodes of any scripted drama at this point. Most of my favorite shows are on an indefinite hiatus already, and I'm getting sick of reruns and reality shows (no offense, gladiators). Fans have debated whether or not half a season is better than nothing, but I'm happy that Lost is back on TV. Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse will find a way to tell the rest of the Lost story--eventually.

In celebration of the season premiere, TV Squad will host a live chat during the 9pm ET airing of the show. All are welcome. See you on Thursday night!

cin

I am a big fan of Lost ........but i will say I am a bit dissapointed on the 2 new episodes I've seen. I want some answers first before bringing in more questions.. It's very frustrating.. all these new people showing up on the island that no one can find or that no one knows about but yet more and more castmates keep appearing. ugk.. I am sure I will still see it through since there isn't anything worth watching Thursday eve.
P.S. I don't think people are hating on the show they just have an opinion and wish to express it ..isn't that what this forum is for,, not everyone can be lovin' on lost..

February 10 2008 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kimmie

why all the fuss about the castaway's reaction (or lack thereof) in regard to naomi's murder?? pretty typical of survivors facing continual life and death circumstances. i thought it was very Lord of the Flies-ish. :)

January 30 2008 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

It's hard to believe people say Lost is no good and unoriginal when you consider American Idol is the top-rated show on Tv. Talk about unoriginal and lame. Every single season doing multiple shows showcasing bad singers. The fact that every once in a while the show produces a decent singer like Carrie Underwood, or my favorite Kat McPhee, is not reason enough to sit thru hours of people just trying to get their 2 minutes of fame for being terrible. I did watch AI for a couple of seasons, but I lost interest and stopped (and except for this post, to make a point,don't go around complaining about it). People who are tired of Lost should do the same.

Personally, I can't wait. With Lost's return and also Jericho, it almost makes up for Journeyman being cancelled. (Not really, though. I'll never forgive NBC for that).

January 30 2008 at 4:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ChanandlerBongLA

I don't understand when people declare they will stop watching the show and yet the they have the time to care and leave comments on a Lost article. If you don't care, don't say anything!

January 30 2008 at 12:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

@ Tom. I suggest you rewatch Lost from the beginning. Aside from the Nikki/Paulo debacle that the writers took the full blame for and the slow start to season 3 which was ABC's fault, not the writer's, the third season was very good. Was it perfect? No. Was it so bad that I can't wait for it end, have no faith questions will ever be answered, and use every opportunity to bash on those that still like the show? Absolutely not.

January 29 2008 at 11:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanna

I love the show!! The premiere party is set. I just ignore those who are no longer fans. It's not for everyone and that's ok. Not sure why they have to TELL everyone...I guess misery loves company.

I liked the list too, right on the money!

I am looking forward to old friends. Dead doesn't always mean dead on Lost island....

January 29 2008 at 11:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

I would hate to see them split the season on DVD. The idea of getting a "Lost" Season 4 part one DVD set is worriesome. I know that it'll be plenty of time before DVD should/would come out, but if the strike drags on and they end up just giving season 4 two DVD sets with these eight episodes, that would be unfortunate.

January 29 2008 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MAC

>Why is Jack suicidal? Why isn't Kate in prison in the future?

Because it wasn't the future? My take is that the flash-forward is actually a flashback, which would mean that Jack and Kate have been on the island before, and their current occupancy is actually the second time they've been there. The key: Jack refers to his father, who is apparently upstairs at the hospital, drunk and very much alive.

Makes your head hurt, doesn't it?

January 29 2008 at 9:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to MAC's comment
Akbar Fazil

Sorry, it's a flash forward.

1. The phone Jack uses was not made before 2004.
2. More than likely Jack's line about his father was just part of his stressed out/drugged out mental state.

Also, I seem to recall one of the producers stating that it was indeed in the future.

January 29 2008 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bsgfan2003

Good detective work about the phone.

What if the father was actually in the future?....cue dramatic sound effects.

I agree there have been low points in the series. But overall Lost is a fantastic show. I'm not sure why there is so much belly aching going on. I a overjoyed that I'll have something decent to watch soon.

January 29 2008 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

@Jake: Did it ever occur to you that some of the people who disparage LOST might do so because they enjoyed the first couple seasons a great deal and are sad at the unsophisticated mess it has become. Again I say, in Season 1 they intelligently debated what to do without a justice system when Jin when he punched Michael while in Season 3 Locke murders a stranger in cold blood and no one seems to even notice.

I mean, the ratings have been dropping steadily through the last season so I don’t see how this could have not occurred to you. There are now more people who watched Season 1 and then stopped watching than there are people who are still watching. Was LOST not (as you put it) “ultimate interactive television” in the first 2 seasons?

The truth is the writers and producers of LOST have gotten lazy and it shows in the product. There are people who are so predisposed to this type of programming and they are going to enjoy this no matter what but for discerning viewers it has lost its appeal.

@Kyle: My post above was mocking people who post one line responses because they have no depth to their opinion. The fact that you responded with a one line response shows that I was absolutely right in thinking that.

January 29 2008 at 6:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Tom's comment
Dreyesbo

Don't forget another important reason: Harold Perrineau is returning as a regular; we finally know what happened after he left in season 2

January 29 2008 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply