July 23, 2014

Isn't Montel on or something? Not anymore

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 31st 2008 2:02PM
Montel WilliamsDuring my senior year of college, my friend Ken, suffering through a tough job market right after he graduated, worked as a cook in the fraternity house in which he (and I) lived his college years. As he was preparing our lunches and dinners, he'd walk into the living room, see us slumped in front of whatever crap was on daytime TV at the time, and say, "Isn't Montel on or something?"

It became a bit of an inside joke that year. But even fifteen years ago, it seemed that Montel Williams' talk show was always on. But as of the end of this season, Montel is departing the syndicated airwaves, after 17 years.

Apparently, Montel's fate was sealed when a number of FOX stations failed to renew the show for next season. However, the show still has enough clearance for its syndicator, CBS Television Distribution, to offer a Best of Montel package for next year to the remaining stations.

Tell people that Montel is ending and the first reaction by most would be, "Huh. He's still on?" But you have to give Montel credit for maintaining a bit of class in the wild and woolly world of daytime talk. He didn't resort to fake fights like Springer or paternity tests like Maury; come to think of it, how did he stay on the air for so long?

James

I guess Sylvia Browne didn't see this coming.

I for one say good riddance to Montel. He's a left-wing liberal scumbag. For instance, he had the people from Exodus International on his show (they are a Christian organization who minister to gays/lesbians who want to get out of that lifestyle). But instead of giving them a fair chance and letting them expain themselves properly, he did all he could to make them look bad. He even forbade a few of them to appear on the show, so they couldn't tell how they managed to leave the gay lifestyle. Whatever your views are on this, you must admit that it is not right to forbid them from presenting their case.

And as for his mistress Sylvia Browne, what a putz he is to let this charlatan on his show. He allowed the people in the studio audience to be taken advantage of, and to be made to look like idiots by a con artist. What a scumbag!

Basically, all of Montel's shows are one-sided. He does not allow for both sides to be presented fairly. I hope he never appears on TV again.

February 20 2008 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
linda bradley

Great! now can we get rid of springer, povich, tyra, dr. phil, oprah? I would rather watch re-runs of the 70's and 80's tv shows then this slime. I do know how to turn the channel, actually that is all I do all day, I have been ill and my mental health is now damaged from trying to watch daytime t.v. What a sad society we live in.

February 06 2008 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I thought that Montel Williams had a good run with his talk show. He handled it with class and had a variety of topics. I noticed that the ratings were going down the past couple of years due to the heavy daytime competition. I wish him the best.
But you know who else I would have seen finish their seasons this year? Jerry Springer and Maury Povich! They've become low-life TRASH as of late!!!! The fights on Springer are becoming TIRESOME to watch! I can see why Steve Wilkos walked off that show and started his own talk show! And Maury's paternity shows are getting much WORSE! Sorry, but Jerry and Maury's shows are running out to topics to talk about!!!!

February 03 2008 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I have to agree with Bryan. I haven't watched Montel show since the first year or so he was on, but even if I was a fan of his, having a fake like Sylvia Browne on the show, lieing to eveyone, would ruin it. You ever notice how whenever Sylvia would tell someone she's sees whatever passed-on loved one she claim to, that the perosn is always happy and in a "good" place? Please! Just once if she'd say, "NO,they're not at peace, they're in a miserable place!", then maybe she'd be more credible. Not every single person goes to the "good" place, I'm betting!

February 02 2008 at 2:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott Schrantz

My high school brought in Montel as a motivational speaker in 1991. He burst into the auditorium bellowing "Mountain! Get out of my way!" and scared the bejeezus out of all of us.

February 01 2008 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bryan McGuckin

The fact that Montel continually put that fraud Sylvia Browne on his show really made it hard for me to like him. He genuinely seemed to care about his guests. But to give that memory desecrating greed bag even a minute of air time was the worst thing he could do to grieving people. Your loved one is gone I'm sorry, but remember them for who the were and not what some bad carnival act says the are in the "afterlife."

February 01 2008 at 1:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bobbi

Bless your heart, meme!

And Montel, you will be missed. You are a wonderful person with a huge heart!

January 31 2008 at 8:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meme

You know, as bad as you think Montel's shows were, and silly comments about Sylvia Brown, etc. I also have a hard time believing this "drill sargent" act at his show live since he was nice as could be both times we went to the live show taping - stop for a minute. The man has the same type MS as I do which is probably the TRUE reason behind his giving up the show. He's a guy and male pride could well be why he wouldn't say he's quitting because he is so sick. With this type of MS, one of the few painful types, we're in severe pain 24/7 and very little begins to aleviate it. So before you go off on Montel, remember that you are going off on a man who is extremely ill and I've watched him wince in pain on many a show. (Those without such pain wouldn't see the small winces or notice them unless you watch very carefully.) Give the man a break and say a prayer for him and his family instead of bashing him to smithereens. You have NO idea of not only the pain, but the frustration of that pain NEVER ending 24 hours a day from a disease that for some is still pretty much just live a normal life but for others (like Montel and myself) the never-ending pain take away much of the quality of your life as well as the joy in living. Read his book..I can't remember the title - and it's downstairs. This disease plays with your memory as well. Please, say a prayer instead of a rude comment. There's no doubt in my mind at all that his illness got to be too hard to manage while having to tape shows as well. It's less when sitting but you see him in the audience a lot. Imagine each step causing you unbearable pain. My thoughts and prayers are surely with Montel and his beautiful little family. (He also has a small child who needs "daddy".)

January 31 2008 at 8:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

Yeah I seem to recall him doing some of the "sleazy"-style shows at one point: DNA tests, (barely dressed) teenaged daughters out of control, etc. But for the past few years when I saw his show it was a bit more muted and calm. And unwatchably boring. Oprah Lite.

January 31 2008 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D-Bo

I'm just glad I won't be accidentally exposed to Sylvia Brown's bs anymore.

January 31 2008 at 4:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply