October 25, 2014

Believe it or not, a Greatest American Hero movie

by Brad Trechak, posted Feb 3rd 2008 2:45PM
The Greatest American HeroAdd to the list of television series headed to the big screen: The Greatest American Hero. They are are casting the two main male roles of Ralph Hinkley and FBI Agent Bill Maxwell (played in the series by William Katt and Robert Culp, respectively). The film is set to be directed by Stephen Herek, whose directing credits include Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, The Mighty Ducks and the big-screen version of Dead Like Me.

I liked The Greatest American Hero as a kid. I've always like the superhero genre and to me this character's origin was a mix of Superman and Green Lantern. More interestingly, I realized as I got older that the three main characters of Ralph, Bill and Ralph's girlfriend Pam represents three different personality types. Ralph was the dreamer, Pam was the pragmatist and Bill was the pessimist.

Since Ralph was the dreamer, he was the one with the ability to change the world. Or, this could just be me talking nonsense and looking at a quaint '80s series with rose-colored glasses. What do you think a modern take on this show would be like?

ERIC

as a young kid i always loved this program and the thought of someone actually making a movie is so great and i'm waiting for it at the movies. if i knew this earlier i would of gone to the casting since i look like ralph the superhero of this tv series. never missed a show hope they finish this movie soon............

June 06 2008 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barry

I was thinking of a good actor to replace Robert Culp as Bill and the first person I thought of was Stephen Baldwin -- but then I realized he's already playing in a GAH remake, "Chuck".

February 08 2008 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Seth

Growing up watching this show was a frustrating experience.

I actually wanted Ralph to finally find the instruction booklet to his suit and/or be contacted by the aliens so he could become a full blown superhero and stop screwing around.

Never happened.

February 04 2008 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Seth's comment
Daniel

I'm pretty sure there was an episode where he was revisited by the aliens and provided with a replacement manual. While reading the manual and learning how to use his powers properly, he shrunk down to near-microscopic size. While shrunk, he placed the manual on a nearby boulder (actually, a grain of sand). He then grew back to normal size, the book forever lost amongst the grains of sand on the beach. Or something like that - it's been a long time and I'm too lazy to look up episode info.

February 06 2008 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I was young when the show aired, but I remembered loving the theme song, and being really frustrated that he couldn't fly properly.

February 04 2008 at 3:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathaniel

Well, if the guy who directed the first Bill and Ted is doing it, I'm in.

February 04 2008 at 2:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

It's very hard to imagine anyone successfully stepping into Robert Culp's role as Bill Maxwell. I'd like to see it, assuming they don't turn it into a spoof where the whole movie is cheesy and making fun of the TV show. In other words, NO WILL FERRELL.

I'd also like to hope that a movie might inspire them to get the #&*@ music rights worked out and re-release the TV series DVDs with the right music, at least the Joey Scarbury songs (beyond the theme, of course) and "Rocket Man". Right now it stands as the second most botched DVD release in history, right after "WKRP", of course.

February 03 2008 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eugene

Only one crap show left to be "reimagined", bring on the movie version of MANIMAL!

February 03 2008 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bayportbob

this could be good..... but if it a P.O.S. like a lot of remakes of old tv shows or movies then forget it. the original concept of the tv show was pretty cool but it then digressed into the high school kids based story lines and then regan got shot and they changed the name of the character and then blah blah blah.......... i hope it is good tho

February 03 2008 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Logan

If they handle this right, I'd love to revisit these characters, even with different actors.

February 03 2008 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply