August 22, 2014

Bridgestone: "Headlights"

by JJ Hawkins, posted Feb 3rd 2008 10:00PM
This was the funniest commercial I've sen all night. There wasn't quite as long of a buildup as the squirrel commercial earlier in the night, but it was equal to if not funnier.

It started out innocently enough. The driver did a great job avoiding the innocent little deer chilling haphazardly in the street.

Then it got interesting. I couldn't quite tell what I was looking at, then imagine my surprise when Alice Cooper was in crouching in the middle of the road holding a snake. Okay, that was a little random, but I guess that's pretty funny...what could possibly be next?Of course the climax came when we saw Richard Simmons doing exercise in the middle of the street. My first instinct was to scream the exact action the driver took. "Punch It!

This commercial would have been glorious if Richard Simmon's little scream had occurred while his body tumbled through the air like a video game character in a game that employed rag doll physics.

No such luck. We still got a scream, but Richard Simmons survived the experience. I think it was a great commercial nonetheless.

Michael

Three words: Alice FREAKIN' Cooper! 'Nuff said!

February 05 2008 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sitruc

I liked this scream commercial more than the other Bridgestone commercial.

February 04 2008 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hank

This is an interesting theme, somewhat disliked celebrities, and self-deprecating humor. See the Geico commericial with Joan Rivers? "This face has seen more knives than a Benihanna!"

February 04 2008 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

In most of the rest of the world, the spot could have ended with Richard Simmons's scream. In the U.S., unfortunately, Bridgestone would either have been boycotted out of the market or sued into bankruptcy by the next pedestrian struck by a car with Bridgestone tires -- if not the driver of that car.

February 04 2008 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yamakaci

ha-ha-ha!!!

February 04 2008 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

It should of ended with the scream. I was actually dissapoint he swerved to avoid him in the end. I dont care if that makes me a bad person it would of been funnier.

February 04 2008 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply