July 28, 2014

Gatorade: "Thirsty Dog"

by Richard Keller, posted Feb 3rd 2008 10:48PM

I have never owned a pet in my life here on planet Earth. So, watching a 30 second commercial of a dog lapping up the water in his bowl wasn't that intriguing to me. Maybe it was interesting for pet owners as they were able to compare the way this dog drank as opposed to their dogs.

Having said that, I think that this was a clever ad pointing out that we humans should be replenishing our bodies with fluids just like our pets do. Granted, we need to do this with Gatorade, as the ad states, not with good old fashioned water. That, of course, would be sacrilege. Frankly, I think the Derek Jeter ad was more entertaining than this one.

Art Shifrin

If you're interested in seeing entertaining shots of dogs drinking, then obtain footage from Animal Planet's "Puppy Bowl". They mount a camera facing upwards into a transparent bowl whose rim is flush to the floor of the play area, which emulates a football stadium. I happily avoided yesterday's SB and am only aware of this spot because it was brought to my attention. The dog has a very strong resemblance to our 'canine grandson Jack, who's gorgeous and lovable. Woof!

February 04 2008 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Art Shifrin's comment
sitruc

The group I was with turned to the Puppy Bowl for halftime. The tension in the room when that happened was deadly. Fortunately, better minds took over and returned to the Super Bowl before anyone got hurt. It wasn't a game or anything. It was just dogs attacking other dogs on a set that looked like a football field. If Michael Vick had been involved people would be up in arms.

February 05 2008 at 2:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

Well the last time I tried Gatorade was the last time I'll try Gatorade. Would it kill them to give it some flavour???

February 04 2008 at 2:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Brent McKee's comment
sitruc

I've never been one to drink Gatorade for the taste and always thought it had some taste to it. The newer Gatorades do have more of a flavor to them though. They also have a "flavored-water" in Propel. Many of the Gatorade drinks are too syrupy for me though. I hate that feeling when working out or competing.

February 04 2008 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rob

this ad sucked. I don't know what gatorade was thinking.

February 04 2008 at 12:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply