November 27, 2014

SoBe Life Water: "Thriller"

by Jen Creer, posted Feb 3rd 2008 9:17PM
Poor Naomi Campbell. If it isn't bad enough that she has to dance with a bunch of lizards, she has to dance to Michael Jackson's Thriller. Very 1980. Is that song really so great that we have to recycle it and have people lizards dance like zombies all the time? And what is the supposed connection between zombies and water? Is it that zombies are brought back to life with this Life Water?

Or that lizards (because, Come on! They aren't zombies in *this* video right?) need water to live? Or that Naomi Campbell can't get people to dance with her? Or zombies to dance with her?

Sad to say, despite the huge lameness of the concept and execution, this is sort of the type of commercial (song! star! dance number!) that I have come to look forward to and expect from Super Bowl commercials. Only... not this.

Cyn

I think the commercial would have been much better if Naomi Campbell had just refrained from dancing.

March 12 2008 at 9:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Just Passing Through

I believe that the significance of the SoBe lizards dancing to Michael Jackson's Thriller probably has to do with the lizards being a signature symbol for SoBe, which is associated with Pepsi whose advertisements used to feature Michael Jackson who is celebrating the 25th Anniversary of his album, "Thriller". I suspect that Naomi Campbell's purpose in the ad is just doing what she does so very well: looking great.

March 06 2008 at 4:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Midnight Penguin

Thriller has been a staple song at the last few weddings I've attended, so much so that I was left out the first few times everyone got up and danced to it. I now know the dance and was able to join in with the wedding parties the last time.

I've gotta say, this was by far the funniest commercial I've seen. Sorry you missed the hilarity.

February 04 2008 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sitruc

While I think this commercial would have been better if done last year and I wasn't feeling it at all, Jen missed it.

February 04 2008 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
d-rae

i personally thought that this commercial was pretty hilarious! =] it may have not been good for a super bowl commercial but thats fine it was still a good one... and there wasnt that many good commercials anyways, this was one of the few that i thought were actually good.
=]

February 04 2008 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert

Um, it involved dancing lizards because SOBE has long had a lizard on its packaging/as its commercial "symbol".

February 04 2008 at 4:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

Very well said Dee.

February 04 2008 at 1:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Todd Lefranc

Did anyone happen to see the farting lizard in the SoBe ad? Fiery, smokey farts.

February 03 2008 at 10:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dee

What's wrong with you.....let me guess....disgruntled Patriots fan? This was one of, if not THE best commercial during the Super Bowl. I found the intent to be very clear.......Life Water is "Thril"ling....as the statement across the screen at the end of the ad stated. It was fun and entertaining.......and the song will ALWAYS be cool.

February 03 2008 at 10:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply