July 27, 2014

Yukon: "Hybrid"

by Jen Creer, posted Feb 3rd 2008 9:48PM
Go, Sisyphus! Any ad that makes use of a guy shoving a boulder up a rock gets my vote. Especially if it's for a hybrid car. Two points! It scores! I just love the connotations of Sisyphus: It's a hard journey, nobody thinks it can be done except the people who are doing it, who just keep at it.

There really isn't much more than that to the ad. You have to know that a hybrid car that will still behave and look like a car and perform well is a really desirable thing-- and a really hard thing to come up with (let alone one that people like you and I can afford) in order to really appreciate the commercial, so I'm willing to bet a lot of people saw the cartoon and went for beer refills. But I enjoyed it.

sitruc

I got the ad. I agree with the above posters. It was a miss with me. It bored most of the people watching. Were you the one person who said it would never be done because I was wondering who said never? The mileage isn't even that impressive and I don't get the claims for being the first.

February 04 2008 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rachael

You like the connotations of Sisyphus? Really? Because the "eternal damnation" connotation didn't really ring my bell. I spent the whole ad wondering aloud to my fiance why they would choose to make that particular association.

February 04 2008 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

I agree, Steven. I don't want crap plastered on my car and I damned sure don't care to advertise what powers my vehicle. It's nobody's business if my car is a hybrid or if it runs on kittens.

February 04 2008 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
steven

That was a dumb commercial. Plus, the Hybrid looks absolutely stupid. Who wants to drive around with "Hybrid" written on the side?

February 03 2008 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to steven's comment
RJ

I hope the hybrid badge is optional. You have to admit, a truck as big and useful as the Yukon getting gas mileage equal to that of a Toyota Camry is pretty impressive. That said, it wasn't a great ad- it was beautifully done but totally out of place at the super bowl.

February 06 2008 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply