September 2, 2014

Budweiser: "Rocky"

by Jason Hughes, posted Feb 4th 2008 1:56AM
Every year Budweiser puts together an uplifting commercial about some animal who strives to achieve his dreams and with hard work and perseverance, achieves it. This year's installation involved a Clydesdale who didn't make the cut to pull the Budweiser wagon. "Maybe next year, Hank." This leads to a very fun montage of training clips set to the Rocky theme as a dalmation takes it upon himself to get the Clydesdale into tip-top shape. Shots of the horse starting off pulling a little wagon mixed with jogging in place in the rain, running around trees in a snow-covered obstacle, lifting bales of hay until finally he has grit to pull an entire train! Not funny like the Bud Light commercials, but these Bud spots are always feel-good fan favorites. And this one was just as good as any of them.

Oh, and of course Hank makes the hitch team the following year. The high five at the end between the dog and the horse was just perfect. I don't know what it is, but Anheuser-Busch simply has one of the best advertising and marketing teams as they virtually never miss when it comes to their Super Bowl ads. Another banner year for them it looks like.

Michael

I thought this ad, while well made, was only so-so. I certainly didn't think it was up to par with previous Clydesdale/Dalmatian ads they've done in the past, if anything it seemed like it was just a weak concept to me.

ALL of the other Budweiser ads were better than this one. Better luck next year guys!

February 05 2008 at 12:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sitruc

The commercial was well-made and I got it, but it missed with me. It seemed like something(that something you don't what it is until you see it) was missing.

February 04 2008 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roy

Now maybe it's just me, but I was wondering if there was supposed to be some reference to Miller Lwith the dalmatian? I thought they started using him in their commercials.

February 04 2008 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Roy's comment
sean

Roy --
My sister works for the Budweiser clydesdales so I have pretty good insight as to the marketing by both AB and Miller. Every clydesdale hitch has at least one (usually 2) dalmations with their hitch. This is something that dates back to back in the day when they actually delivered the beer by horse. The dog rides on the hitch with the driver.

In the Miller commercial, Miller (mis)represents Budweiser by using the hitch to represent their beer. It isn't the actual hitch -- the commercial shows a driver with a blue suit and 6 horses while the AB hitch are 8 horses with green suits.

So if anything miller stole it from Budweiser.

February 04 2008 at 9:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

If only the people responsible for making Anheuser-Busch's commercials had a hand in making their beer. It could only help.

February 04 2008 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply