November 26, 2014

The commercials of Super Bowl XLII: A summary

by Richard Keller, posted Feb 4th 2008 7:30AM

Super Bowl XLII is all done except for the cleanup and the hangovers. And, you are probably doing one of two things right now. Either you are joyously celebrating the win of the Wild Card New York Giants over the undefeated (until Sunday) New England Patriots, or your are cursing out that f@#&ing Tom Brady and coach Bill Belichick for screwing up a perfect season and, most likely, starting a new sports curse in New England.

Oh well, at least you have the commercials to take your mind off of it all if you were a Patriots fan. This year's crop was pretty diverse with a mix of serious and humorous ads. Plus, a little star power thrown in just for taste. Thanks to Jason Hughes, Jen Creer, JJ Hawkins, and yours truly, TV Squad has postings about every new commercial that aired, from the E-Trade baby to the guy who attached jumper cables to his nipples.

If you're scratching your head on what the hell I mean then jump over to the next page, where you'll see a list of links to all of our commercial reviews.

Sony Pictures: You Don't Mess With the Zohan

Toyota: "Big Wheels"

Bud Light: "Semi-Pro"

Coca-Cola: "Carville & Frist"

E-trade: "Baby Trader II"

NFL.com: "Super Ad"

Amp: "Jumpstart"

Bud Light: "Ability to Fly"

Victoria's Secret: "Model"

E-Trade: "Baby Trader"

Gatorade: "Thirsty Dog"

Hyundai: "The Genesis"

Doritos: "Mouse Trap"

Taco Bell: "Fiesta Platters"

Pepsi: Justin Timberlake

CareerBuilder: "Spider"

T-Mobile: "Chuck and Dwayne"

Coca-Cola: "Dueling Parade Balloons"

Planters: "Unibrow"

Sunsilk: "Hair Icons"

Bridgestone: "Headlights"

Walt Disney Presents: The Chronicles of Narnia, Prince Caspian

Bud Light: "Carlos Mencia"

Yukon: "Hybrid"

Ice Breakers: "Carmen Electra"

Bud Light: "Caveman Invents the Wheel"

White House Office of National Drug Control Policy: "Neighborhood Dealer"

SoBe Life Water: "Thriller"

Vitamin Water: "Horse Race"

CareerBuilder.com: "Follow Your Heart"

Garmin GPS: "Napoleon"

Salesgenie.com: "Ching Ching and Ling Ling"

Cars.com: "Witch Doctor"

Universal Pictures presents: Leatherheads

Toyota: "Corolla"

Tide: "Stain"

Cars.com: "Death Match"

FedEx: "Carrier Pigeons"

Dell: "Red"

Go Daddy.com: "Wardrobe Malfunction"

Gatorade G-2: "Derek Jeter"

Universal Pictures presents: Wanted

Doritos: "Crash the Super Bowl Winner"

Bridgestone: "Squirrel in the Road"

Under Armour Shoes: "The Future is Ours"

Bud Light: "Wine and Cheese Party"

SalesGenie.com: "ACME Widgets"

Diet Pepsi Max: "Roxbury/What Is Love?"

Audi R8: "The Godfather"

Bud Light: "Breathe Fire"

Budweiser: "Rocky"

Which was the best Super Bowl ad this year?
Gatorade: Thirsty Dog17 (3.0%)
Doritos: Mouse Trap37 (6.5%)
Taco Bell: Fiesta Platters1 (0.2%)
T-Mobile: Chuck and Dwayne10 (1.8%)
Coca-Cola: Dueling Parade Balloons60 (10.5%)
Planters: Unibrow10 (1.8%)
Sunsilk: Hair Icons1 (0.2%)
Walt Disney Presents: The Chronicles of Narnia, Prince Caspian1 (0.2%)
Bud Light: Carlos Mencia1 (0.2%)
Yukon: Hybrid1 (0.2%)
SoBe Life Water: Thriller14 (2.5%)
CareerBuilder.com: Follow Your Heart5 (0.9%)
Garmin GPS: Napoleon3 (0.5%)
Universal Pictures presents: Leatherheads2 (0.4%)
Toyota: Corolla4 (0.7%)
Tide: Stain23 (4.0%)
Cars.com: Death Match2 (0.4%)
FedEx: Carrier Pigeons32 (5.6%)
Dell: Red1 (0.2%)
Go Daddy.com: Wardrobe Malfunction2 (0.4%)
Gatorade G-2: Derek Jeter3 (0.5%)
Universal Pictures presents: Wanted3 (0.5%)
Doritos: Crash the Super Bowl Winner4 (0.7%)
Bridgestone: Squirrel in the Road36 (6.3%)
Under Armour Shoes: The Future is Ours2 (0.4%)
Bud Light: Wine and Cheese Party10 (1.8%)
SalesGenie.com: ACME Widgets1 (0.2%)
Diet Pepsi Max: Roxbury/What is Love?50 (8.8%)
Audi R8: The Godfather29 (5.1%)
Bud Light: Breathe Fire11 (1.9%)
White House Office of National Drug Control Policy: Neighborhood Dealer2 (0.4%)
Bud Light: Semi-Pro22 (3.9%)
Coca-Cola: Carville and Frist7 (1.2%)
E-trade: Baby Trader26 (4.6%)
E-trade: Baby Trader II25 (4.4%)
NFL.com: Super Ad11 (1.9%)
Amp: Jumpstart10 (1.8%)
Bud Light: Ability to Fly1 (0.2%)
Victoria's Secret: Model14 (2.5%)
Toyota: Big Wheels1 (0.2%)
Sony Pictures: Don't Mess with Zohan2 (0.4%)
21 (3.7%)
Budweiser: Rocky53 (9.3%)

Cold Chilli

you Missed Iron Man Trailer
Wheel Sucks!!

February 06 2008 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rogphi

I thought the Caveman invents the wheel was the funniest commercial apparently I was the only one

February 04 2008 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
segsig

What happened to Pepsi's silent commercial? It got the most pre-game buzz and then it wasn't shown!

February 04 2008 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maestro610

I felt like The Godfather - Audi commercial was very well done. I understood the reference and remembered what they were advertising. Hank training Rocky style would be 2nd. Although I didn't remember what they were advertising the Lizards dancing to Thriller was cool. Honorable Mentions for the Justin Timberlake Pepsi commercial and James Carville and Bill Frist sharing a Coke.

In the loss column, of which I mean commecials that tried for a cool gimmick and missed not just bad commercials like Sales Genie's. I'd say probably were the Amp commercial with the guy from Salute Your Shorts putting jumper cables on his nipples. Also the Heart leaping out of it's chest for careerbuiler was just a trainwreck. I initially liked Bud Light breathe fire until they showed the flying one and it felt too gimmicky.

In the movie advertisements, which since 'The Matrix' commercial in 1999 I've held as a separate entry. Iron Man looked to impress me the most, even with its incomplete special effects. I felt like it was a tie for second between 'Wanted' and 'Prince Caspian'. 'Wall-E' scored big with the kids and ladies in my life, even though I'm really skeptical of it myself... after Ratatouille and The Incredibles, my standards for Pixar are really high.

I am not a fan of Will Ferrell or Adam Sandler, but their commercials could have been better. For 'Semi-Pro' they should have just used the teaser trailer where he's lying on the bench naked with just the ball; also I'd have filmed a standalone for 'Don't Mess With the Zohan' and given the audience 30 seconds of one example why they shouldn't mess with him instead of clips of the whole movie of people messing with him.

February 04 2008 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamie

Where's the Pepsi commercial with Justin Timberlake on the Poll? That was by far my favorite, and one of the few that made me actually laugh out loud!!!

February 04 2008 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim K

Even though not a commercial, per se, I thought one of the best advertisments was done by FOX when the had the Terminator attack the FOX Sports Football Robot (although I'm sure it has a better name than that). Just a great way to build a commercial into existing game graphics and very well done, imho, by Fox!

February 04 2008 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eric f

A few of the commercials were obvious viral video rip-offs. Sad they couldn't be more original.

Who voted for the lame Victoria's Secret commercial????? Really? come on...

February 04 2008 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georgia

Yeah -- to me, it was Hank the Clydesdale.

I voted for the Wine and Cheese - loved the going on a "Cheese Run".

GO ELI!! GO GIANTS!

February 04 2008 at 9:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vacelts

My two favorite were the Audi Godfather and Hank the Cyldesdale.

February 04 2008 at 9:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

There is a great wrap-up in today's Wall Street Journal. They had my favorites right at the top: the Coke balloon commercial and Hank the Clydesdale.

CareerBuilder bombed with the heart ad.

February 04 2008 at 8:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply