September 1, 2014

Ben Silverman loves Friday Night Lights (but it's about to get canceled)

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 5th 2008 3:06PM

Friday Night Lights

Yeah, I know, we already had a Ben Silverman-centric post today, but this is going to be interesting for fans of Friday Night lights.

Radar ran into the NBC Entertainment President Ben Silverman at a party for Lipstick Jungle (I'm sure it was a great party, but that show doesn't have a chance), and they asked him if the high school football drama was going to be saved even though it doesn't get good ratings, and Silverman responded in typical Silvermanian (?) fashion.

"I love it. You love it. Unfortunately, no one watches it. That's the thing with shows. People have to watch them. We're NBC, we have a reputation to uphold. And, man, with this writers' strike ... well, we'll see what we can do. But start watching 30 Rock."

It's funny that Silverman not only tells the writer to start watching 30 Rock because "it's the best show on TV," he says it three times. In fact, he sort of dodges the FNL question twice, pushing the merits of 30 Rock instead, and then decides to answer by saying that NBC "has a reputation to uphold." Not really sure if this means that he wants to give quality shows time to get an audience or he wants to replace it with another episode of 1 vs. 100, but it's really great to see him behind 30 Rock so much.

[via Pop Candy]

mitchell

I hate football but i really enjoyed FNL. Makes me very sad they might not get a good series finale. I wish i had started watching it sooner. Im depressed now 8(

February 24 2008 at 4:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
popista

Man, I sure hope they can get it back next fall. It's one of the few dramas that made it thorough a couple seasons and still leaves me saying, 'dang that's a good show.'

February 17 2008 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jo

Lisa Willett, you go girl -- if I had the connections, I'd try them also.

To the nudniks at WNBC: I am a long-time, die-hard WABC viewer. Your Friday Night Lights is the only show that makes me tune into your station. Wanna keep me tuned in? DON"T CANCEL FNL.

February 14 2008 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jimmer

too bad its getting cancel,,,it deals with good issues that everyone can relate to young or old. ......I guess if its not that Reality crap shows they put on TV...its some non- sence ,make believe, trashy TV sitcom crap. Like someone stated before..i NEVER see any commercial when its gonna be on...if it wasnt for my DRV recording the new shows.. i would never see it.. And when it is on its on a FRIDAY night.......really what young teen stays home on a Friday night to watch a tv show....doesnt make since.. I guess they'll find another shitty Reality show and drive that down our throats for another year....

February 11 2008 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa Willett

I need to get this email to the people at NBC. Hopefully to Ben Silverman himself. PLease read:Okay, I've never done this before and I can assure you I have better things to do than to discuss the possible cancellation of this show. Friday Night Lights is the only television show I watch on a regular basis and that is saying a lot. I do not have time for television nor do I enjoy watching the endless variety of pathetic shows that are currently available for viewing.

We pay for cable television, we pay for all the perks of having hundreds of channels to choose from. I still have to admit that there is little on television today I would want to spend my valuable time watching. That is however with exception to my favorite show, Friday Night Lights.

I am a mother of one daughter age 8, a full time homemaker and event planner, fundraiser, classroom mom, neighborhood social director and philanthropist. I do not watch television so that I have something to talk about with others. I watch television to relate and to connect with other situations that occur around me and in our world. Friday Night Lights shows a variety of issues that effect us all on a daily basis. I identify with many of the subjects and often find myself in tears at the end of the show.

More than many of the stories I read about in the newspaper, I connect with the story line of the show. It is a pretty accurate depiction of real life in a real town minus the super heroes and excessive violence other shows use.

I am no bible thumping Sunday School Teaching Girl Scout leader. I am actually a very fun, very optimistic woman and because of that I enjoy the way the stories usually lead to a positive conclusion. You have included all aspects of race, social demographics, religion and family dynamics more than any show I've ever seen. The reason people are not watching this is because they don't know about it or cannot seem to watch it when it's on. That is the only reason this show is not top rated and I know ratings equal dollars.

The marketing department at NBC should be ashamed of their poor attempt of getting this show off the ground. I've been in marketing for 15 years and one thing I get is people. People watch what is popular. People buy what is popular and people vote on what is popular. For whatever reason, your station has failed to make this show "popular". It isn't difficult to do so.

I have a list of suggestions that would help get more viewers but I'm sure you pay someone a lot of money to do that for you. I am only a customer but I do have a way of getting things done. I promise you if given me the opportunity to help promote this show, I will guarantee results. You tell me what you need me to do and I will do it. Please do not cancel this show.

I will forward this email to other media organizations and get the ball rolling but in the mean time, I will be watching Friday Night Lights as long as it airs on your channel. By the way, since I was a little girl, NBC has always been and will always be my network of choice. I hope you find the time to at least read this email. A reply would be appreciated but not expected. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Lisa Willett
916-873-7350

February 09 2008 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lisa Willett's comment
IloveFNL

Great email Lisa. You said what we all feel and said it in a manner that was very succinct, and yet not brash or crass. I appreciate your comments. If NBC only could get it through their heads what a diamond they have in this show and start marketing it (I also was a marketing major), they would make money hand over fist. Lets hope for the best. You can copy and paste your email on the NBC website. Go to the bottom left-hand side where it says contact us, and about half way down, you will see where you can select which show to comment on and then paste your letter there. Maybe they will listen. If not, maybe another network will listen and pick the show up. Thanks again.

February 14 2008 at 11:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I don't watch FNL, but I certainly feel for those of you who do. I felt (feel) the same way about Journeyman, which I thought was the best new show this season. I loved it & I hate,hate,HATE!, that they cancelled it. I don't hate all reality shows; some like Survivor continue to be interesting and entertaining, but I hate that reality seems to be taking over tv and replacing well-made and written dramas. I'm just glad Journeyman got to complete it's whole run of already-shot episodes. Any other year and they probably would have pulled it sooner.

February 08 2008 at 4:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve Flack

I wish it was cancelled last year, because then Landry never would have killed that guy.

February 07 2008 at 12:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dragulf

NBC is upholding the reputation that N B C stands for Nothing But Crap. That's right.

February 06 2008 at 8:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tree

FNL IS ONE OF THE BEST SHOWS ON T.V. THE SHOW NEEDS TO BE ADVERTISED. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING PUTTING IT ON FRIDAY NIGHT, WHEN HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL GAMES WERE GOING ON. WE HAD TO TAPED IT. PUT IT ON THURSDAY NIGHTS IN PLACE OF ER. I BET YOU WILL GET MORE VIEWERS. I DO NOT BELIEVE THERE IS'NT ENOUGH PEOPLE WATCHING. TO ALL OF YOU NOT WATCHING FNL , GIVE THE SHOW A CHANCE. MORE ADVERTISING AND NEW NIGHT AGAIN.

February 06 2008 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

I can't get into pure character drama's like FNL (also the sports angle puts me off), and it really bothers me because everyone says how good it is. Makes me feel deficient.

February 06 2008 at 2:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply