October 22, 2014

Carter out, Woolsey in for fifth season of Stargate Atlantis

by Richard Keller, posted Feb 5th 2008 12:42PM

Robert Picardo's Richard Woolsey assumes command of Atlantis in the fifth seasonFor those of you who were gnashing their teeth over Samantha Carter's (lack of) administrative abilities on this season's Stargate Atlantis you can relax your jaws. Well, only for a moment, because you may not like who will be replacing her in the show's fifth season.

According to a press statement released today by MGM and the SciFi Channel, the newest administrator of Atlantis will be: I.O.A representative Richard Woolsey, played by science fiction veteran Robert Picardo. Ah, I see you're gnashing your teeth again. No surprise there, since the members of the Atlantis team aren't too fond of him, either. In fact, the SciFi release mentions that Colonel Sheppard and his team must adjust to Woolsey's leadership style. Look for some friction between the two sides as the season progresses.

The promotion of Woolsey to regular cast member status is just one of the many cast changes taking place during the fifth season of Atlantis. Current administrator Samantha Carter, played by Amanda Tapping, will be stepping down as a regular cast member (if she could be called that this season) but will still guest star in several episodes, including the season premiere. Her former SG1 teammate, Daniel Jackson, will also be showing up on Atlantis for an unspecified number of episodes.

Dr. Carson Beckett, who was killed off in the third season to the disappointment of many fans, will be appearing in five episodes. How he returns to life will be covered in the upcoming two-part episode "The Kindred" (and this was reported back in August, so it really isn't a spoiler). Meanwhile, Beckett's replacement, Dr. Jennifer Keller (Jewel Staite) looks to be promoted from a recurring to a regular character.

My opinions on this: I think making Woolsey the administrator of Atlantis is a good move to shake the series up a bit. Shep and the rest of the team have had pretty decent relations with the past administrators and we could use some conflict, as long as it isn't too heavy-handed. I also think moving Dr. Keller up to a regular is a good choice as she has shown some considerable growth in character since being introduced. Plus, if will give the Keller-Ronon romance a chance to bud (if it actually comes to fruition).

crocket42442

What a terrible mistake replacing Carter for woolsey no wonder this great show didn't make it to season 6. I swear writers look at what the fans want and do the polar opposite. Well you lost a fan sci fy thanks for making yet another stupid decision just like canceling the show after season 5. You wonder why you lose so many fans, fire your writers and producers, stick with something that works for once!

April 08 2011 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roninesque

That was raw what they did to Tori Higginson she had contract for 6 years in 2004 which means she would have been doing the show till 2010. She quit the show , I hope they bring her back to her post and write it in.
If she decides to come back.

February 26 2008 at 8:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

The only thing that would be worse then Woolsey taking over is if Weir came back.

The show has improved tenfold since Weir left.

Picardo ruined Voyager and he's here to ruin Star gate.

I just feel livid that they keep making these dumb casting decisions.

The dream cast is the way it is now. But soon it's going to be over. I'll just enjoy the few episodes Woolsey/Weir free episodes.

February 24 2008 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phyllis Jacques

It wasn't that Col. Carter had a "lack of administrative abilities" as you put it. It was that the writers were so clueless about what a commander is supposed to do so they just left her out of every episode. (They never really gave Weir much to do except for clucking like a mother hen.) They had Sheppard making all the military decisions without consulting with his commanding officer. They had McKay assuming total control over all scientific matters even though she had at least the same amount of scientific knowledge he had and she was his boss.

February 11 2008 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jjm3.2007

Well it looks like this will be the 5th and final season of Atlantis. Dr. Woolsey has got to be the dullest choice for the Atlantis Administrator. The most logical choice would be Dr. Daniel Jackson. Nobody is more qualified than him; since he's the formost expert on the Ancients.
"Good move MGM." NOT!

February 07 2008 at 5:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jjm3.2007's comment
Akbar Fazil

Wow, you really have no idea what you are talking about.

How exactly will this end Atlantis?

Daniel is the most logical choice? Sure, he knows a lot about the Ancients and would fit fine in working on that side of things, but actually being an admin and running the whole base? HE HAS NO EXPERIENCE IN THAT WHATSOEVER.

Also, the IOA is the one footing the enormous bill for Atlantis, isn't it more logical to have someone of their staff in charge?

February 07 2008 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

In the SG universe, this moves makes sense. While the U.S. military runs security and missions off world, the I.O.A runs administration and it would only stand to reason that they would put one of their own to run the Atlantis operation.

I assume it's going to be like it was in season one, where Wier was in charge of inside operations while Shepard was in charge of military operations.

Woolsey has grown from his first appearance, after being in the thick of it several times, so he may have some empathy for the feelings of the current staff, but he isn't all the way there yet, so he will still be confrontational.

I just hope they don't revert him back to complete ass Woolsey from the first time we saw him on SG-1

February 06 2008 at 8:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to LC's comment
Alicia

I hope so too! He was almost unwatchable.

But I can see it now... "Woosley this has to happen!"~ Sheppard/McKay/whomever

BUT I don't know if that is a bad thing.

February 06 2008 at 9:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A Gould

My problem with Carter was that as a recurring character, she just looked out of place - especially since we were used to seeing Weir in most episodes. It's the same effect when Richard Dean Anderson stepped back from SG-1 - his absence was conspicuous. We never really see Carter as an administrator - she's just a guest star, basically. (I mean, in "Outcast" she plays the role of "Delivery Person". No wonder she's happy to be working somewhere else.)

Woolsey is a cool choice, so long as we actually see him most episodes.

February 05 2008 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
penguendedektif

You know there is always the tool of character development. Remember the times we hated McKay? Woolsey has already showed that he could be somewhat be tamed, plus this The Doctor for god's sake, how long can we stay mad :)

Also I think that Jewel Staite's character should be worked as well, or else she could end up like Weir or Aiden Ford (anyone remembers? :) Don't get me wrong I adore Jewel Staite, she was amazing in Firefly (as were everyone on the show of course)...

February 05 2008 at 5:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to penguendedektif's comment
Akbar Fazil

I agree. When Atlantis first started I HATED McKay. His appearances on SG1 made me cringe with his wannabe Tarantino attitude and presentation. I was even ready to give up on Atlantis at the end of season 1 but kept watching because the wife enjoyed it. I am happy to say that the growth we had with McKay is what got me to enjoy the show and find it the enjoyable action scifi show that it is.

February 05 2008 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Natrino

I was personally hoping for Mitchell. Seemed like a good way to continue using the character, but I guess he would be too similar to Sheppard.

Woolsey would be my second choice, or Caldwell.

I think the progression of Woolsey so far will make this seem more natural. Yesterday, a friend and I were discussing who we'd want to see in charge, and how we'd feel about the different people being rumored. One thing we discussed was whether the person should be military or science. He commented that the leader should be the leader, not affiliated with either, and Woolsey seems to fit that perfectly.

February 05 2008 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Carter was moved to Atlantis just because the writers were lazy. Honestly there was no reason at all to have Weir leave nevermind charter showing up.

I think this would have been a great choice if I trusted the writers, but after what they did to McCay this season I do not. Still better than someone knew.

February 05 2008 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply