Paula Abdul (and Randy Jackson) at the Super Bowl - VIDEO

by Jason Hughes, posted Feb 5th 2008 3:23PM
Paula Abdul - Well, it wasn't halftime, but Paula Abdul did "rock" the Super Bowl. Somehow, when I sat down in front of my TV for a second before heading out, it was just at the moment when Ryan Seacrest was introducing the Abdul performance. This was about two hours or so before the game in the middle of FOX's fifty-six hour long pre-game coverage, so it was sheer luck that I saw it at all.

That said, I don't know what I think about it. The song is nice enough, and it was fun seeing good old Randy Jackson jamming out behind her on bass guitar, but it sure seemed like she was lip-synching. I even feel pretty damned confident I saw her out of synch with the track at a few points. That said, my girl can still dance and proves that over forty can still be hot.The quality's not great, but here's Paula Abdul "singing" her new single "Dance Like There's No Tomorrow" as pre-recorded live with pre-recorded audio (I think) recorded before the performance was recorded before it was broadcast live to a national audience. Got all that?

I hate to say it, but if that was lip-synched, then she's done a huge disservice to her fans and to the American Idol juggernaut that employs her. A show about real singing talent doesn't need it's one "singer" judge going all Ashlee Simpson at the Super Bowl. And besides her voice was so altered and synthesized, which they can do with live mics too, who would have known if she was off in places? I'd have rather her be live and sound a little worse than fake it. Doesn't she know they take away Grammys for lip-synching!

But if that really was her singing (and I just don't see how it could be), then she nailed that studio recording sound! And why was the "live" performance pre-recorded anyway? She didn't perform live and in person during the show, even though she was there to talk to Ryan after it showed? Were they afraid she'd get booed?

BONUS
Randy's Super Bowl prediction, immortalized forever. Hope he didn't put money on it.

Ryan Snow

Good, Bad or indifferent... Paula's already made her Millions... If everyone was earning what she is, just on Idol, you'd be taking 10 years off too... HA!!

February 23 2008 at 9:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rabia

Cooooooooooooooooooooool, Bravo! I like it Paula.
You did it well, way better then the those of 20 years pop singers. congressssssssssssssssssssssss.

February 23 2008 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
babygirl

Love Paula Adbul, always will! She rocks and Randy he wasn't too bad either :-)

February 21 2008 at 2:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I thought that Paula Abdul was good. Though I would have liked the live band to perform the song. Somehow it's difficult for the band to learn the new studio recorded song and play it live. And even the performer singing and dancing at the same time, so they lip synch instead. I hope that artists don't get into the habit of lip-synching too much--it takes away from their performance. If it means hearing your singing voice, whether it's good or not, we can take it!

February 06 2008 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jackiej

I know people are always talking about Randy's glasses. Turns out he just
launched his own eyewear line, Randy Jackson Eyewear, and that's what he's
been wearing on Season 7. A company called Zyloware makes them. Their website is randyjacksoneyewear.com if you want to check them out.

February 06 2008 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

To me, Randy Jackson will always be the guy who played bass with Journey in the mid-'80s.

February 06 2008 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tristan

Oh wow Paula is really quite good and Randy as well!!!

February 05 2008 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

Yea, that's the worst lip synching ever. However, it's kind of sad that a 45-year-old woman who hasn't performed professionally since the early-90s, still performs way better than a girl in her mid-twenties who performed continuously since she was 17 with the exception of a 2-year break -

February 05 2008 at 8:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
james

You people are stupid. The act was prerecoded and yes it was lip synched. Which 90% of what is prerecoded is studio music. Get a life. It wasn't even shot at the super bowl but i quess your probably bitching about that as well.

February 05 2008 at 6:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

You know how you could tell she really wasn't singing? Her song sounded as if it was a lost Britney Spears track from her new album.

That being said the song was catchy enough and she definitely "performed" better than Britney did at the VMAs (though that ain't saying much). Then again I was more or less expecting myself to humiliate herself ala Britney's VMA performance. So barring that, it was a fine performance as she could've done.

February 05 2008 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply