April 17, 2014

Sci Fi brings back The Doctor, and Sarah Jane, too

by Jason Hughes, posted Feb 5th 2008 8:04AM
The Sarah Jane AdventuresIn the No Duh News category, Sci Fi Channel has reported that they've acquired the fourth series (or season) of Doctor Who for air beginning in April. What's great additional news is that they've also picked up The Sarah Jane Adventures as well. The latter series focuses on Elisabeth Sladen's Sarah Jane, one of the most popular and famous "companions" in Who History, as she battles to keep Britain and the world save from alien encounters and invasions.

Sarah Jane is aided by a small group of children in her quest. And while the series has a lower budget than Who and is geared more towards a children's audience, I still found it to be tremendously fun. And any opportunity to see K-9 is worth it in my book!

The good Doctor, still played by David Tennant for now, is joined this season by Donna Noble (Catherine Tate reprising her role from "The Runaway Bride" Christmas Special). I have to say, this casting I find odd as Noble was a bitch and from what I've seen in promos for future installments, continues to be a bitch. In fact, the character had no redeemable or like-able qualities. Maybe, after losing both Rose (Billie Piper) and Martha (Freema Agyeman) whom he actually liked, the Doctor is feeling a bit masochistic.

The Doctor: "Right then, who's the most horrible person I've encountered lately."

Donna: "Oy! You there! What you doing around here?"

The Doctor: "Well what do you know, just who I was looking for, only I didn't really know I was looking for you. You being who I was looking for more in the general sense than the sense that I was looking specifically for you, but it is you that I was looking for ... and here you are! Brilliant!"

Donna: "I don't know what--"

The Doctor: "Come on then, lots to do. Time's a ticking, if you know what I mean. Not that it really matters, I suppose. Time Lord and all that."

Donna: "I'm not going anywhere with you!"

The Doctor: "But I'm the Doctor. Everybody wants to go with me."

Donna: "Like hell! I'd just as soon--" (The Doctor bashes her on the head with a cane and then looking carefully both ways drags her into the Tardis).

The Doctor: "Yes, you'll do just fine. Just fine." (The door closes and we hear the familiar groaning sound as the Tardis fades away.

Man: "Donna, did you come this way? Where the bloody hell could she have gone?" (Looks around). "Oh well, good riddance that one. What a bitch!"

Thank god Martha is coming back mid-season (and rumors have it Rose may be back too in some capacity). And in the meantime, Martha will be making a limited run appearance on the second season of Torchwood currently airing stateside on BBC America. If you're a fan of Who and you're not watching Torchwood then now may be the time to start. You've already seen Torchwood's fearless, immortal leader Captain Jack Harkness (John Barrowman) on various Who episodes, so you're practically family!

adhonus

I think people are missing the news here.

American viewers will see the new episodes of the show at more of less the same time as it airs in Britain.

As Christopher Eccleston's Doctor might have said, that's fantastic!

Now, if they can only work out a deal to sell them to American viewers through iTunes. This is a show that is not meant to have commercials, and watching on Sci-Fi is one of the most painful experiences imaginable.

February 06 2008 at 9:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathaniel

Sally Sparrow from "Blink" would make an absolutely amazing companion... they should think about that.

February 05 2008 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
metz

bring back leela and teegan and the other eye candy as companions. Just don't make them annoying like peri and Mel.

February 05 2008 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gene

Don't get too excited -- K9 is not in the Sarah Jane Adventures except for a short cameo. His creators won't give permission for him to appear because they are trying to produce a separate show.

As for Donna: Yes, she was grating and unlikeable in the Christmas special, but by the end she had grown on me and had become a more sympathetic character. I have to say that she brings a bit more sense of humor to the show and is more than a foil for the Doctor, who's previously been surrounded by a bunch of people who never question him. I, for one, can't wait to see how Donna does traveling with the Doctor and how it changes her -- and him.

February 05 2008 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rogphi

While there is no doubt That Catherine Tate is extremely Talented the Donna character is even more annoying than Perri or Melanie, two of the most annoying doctor assistants ever! Meanwhile I am excited about Sarah Jane I have had a crush on her since the John Pertwee days *-* sigh*-* showing my age and I dont care :-)

February 05 2008 at 11:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slantagn

Proving that, indeed, it's all a matter of personal taste, I couldn't disagree more re: Donna. I think she'll bring a totally different dynamic to the TARDIS. Catherine Tate has nice comic timing, and an easy, non-sexual chemistry with David Tennant. I thought "The Runaway Bride" sparkled, and that Donna came across as a character who immediately grasped the Doctor's essence ("I think you need someone to stop you," after all). Whereas Martha always struck me as the Companion who never quite understood what he was all about (and also, imho, Freema Agyeman and David Tennant never quite clicked on all cylinders the way Tennant did with the guest stars that came and went, like John Simm and John Barrowman and Carey Mulligan and Jessica Stevenson). Anyway, maybe Donna will pleasantly surprise you!

February 05 2008 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry Hamilton

Catherine Tate is awesome. So what if she's a bitch? She's hilarious. I was very excited to know she was coming back. I just hope something horrible happens to Martha this season. I hate her. But I am also very excited to know that Rose is coming back.

February 05 2008 at 9:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Larry Hamilton's comment
popbuzz

I have to agree with a lot of these comments, and forgot to mention in the post. I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea to have The Doctor choose someone who's not particularly likeable and doesn't even seem to like him. She is funny but within the context of the characters I'm trying to understand why he'd want to bring her along. :)

February 05 2008 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ronan

Maybe he just wanted to take a companion he wouldn't care about when he'll eventually lose her.

I really look forward to this 4th season. The christmas special was really good, and so far the series got better each season.

February 05 2008 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vacelts

I can't wait for the fourth season. The third season was the best one IMO. I've never heard of Sarah Jane, but look forward to checking it out.

February 05 2008 at 9:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mandy

I welcome Donna as a companion if it means we get a reprieve from the standard female-companion-hopelessly-in-love-with-the-Doctor characters we've been getting. David Tennant is a good-looking guy, but come on, there has to be at least one companion that doesn't fall for him.

February 05 2008 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply