Simon Cowell never liked Katharine McPhee

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 7th 2008 3:00PM

Simon CowellI'm trying to think back in my mental Rolodex to the season of American Idol that featured Katharine McPhee and Taylor Hicks. I know that Simon Cowell wasn't too big on Hicks, but didn't he at some point praise McPhee and her singing?

That seems to have been forgotten by Cowell. He tells ExtraTV.com that he "didn't care much for Katharine McPhee. I don't think she was a credible recording artist. Katharine will end up on Broadway!"

This is kinda harsh on two levels. One, he insults the runner-up of American Idol, a runner-up that he had a hand in getting deeper into the competition, and two, he insults Broadway singers! What, is getting on Broadway what happens to people who don't have talent? I thought it was the opposite.

He does make a good point about Paula Abdul though, saying he'd give her a thumbs down if she was a contestant on the show. It actually surprised me that Abdul came out with a new single ("Dance Like There's No Tomorrow"). Not only has it been many, many years since her last song, but it also leaves her open to ridicule because she's judging other singers. I wonder if later in the show one of the singers booted off will say something sarcastic about Abdul and her singing before he's dragged off stage by security.

[via TV Tattle]

MIKE BERNARD

well randy an paula are great , its the jerk , when was he made GOD ,, american idol would do well with out his nasty comments

March 05 2008 at 8:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jenifer l. orocay

Hi! ms katharine im one of your fans here in philippines. i so wish to see you in a personal. always take care..see you soon..god bless you all the time.
jenifer orocay

February 29 2008 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonasjunky95

Curtis, Simon is a straight forward critic on the show American Idol.

I love Jordin Sparks, Kelly Clarkson , and Carrie Underwood ,that is female talent

February 09 2008 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cearralyn

Patrick, what is the matter with you!? There is NOTHING wrong with marrying someone older, or even younger for that matter, if the chemistry is right and they get along! McPhee is not a slut, a whore, or a bitch for marrying who she did...your attitude disgusts me, and you should be ashamed of yourself, but I am sure you are not. I feel sorry for anyone who has to be around you. In the meantime, get a dictionary...it is obvious you don't know the meanings of the words you are accusing McPhee of being. Being nasty is nothing to be proud of. Shame on you.

February 09 2008 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
way2bee

SHOCK VALUE! Simon will always make comments like this as long as their are people who will be upset by them. Ask Simon if Heather Headly can sing, and if she is a viable recording artist? If you readers dont know who she is, you have had your ears plugged for a long time. Sucessfull on broadway, sucessfull on the radio, sucessfull on the charts. KILL YOUR TV! and all of the Meely MouthPieces that it creates.

February 09 2008 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kent

What happens to pop singers whose careers crash and burn? They go to Broadway, like Deborah "Don't call me Debbie" Gibson.

Back when Broadway soundtracks sold as well as pop records, being a Broadway star was a big deal. But as someone once said, being on Broadway means you are well known in New York. Being a pop star means you are known nationally.

Simon, as usual, is right.

February 09 2008 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mer

I think Kat has a gorgeous voice, much better than that of Hicks. HIs was ok, but not nearly as good as Kats. I wish her the best on her new marriage. They make a wonderful couple, hes a good looking as she is beautiful
GOOOOOOOOOO KAT!!

February 09 2008 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aline Dowd

Simon is paid by the show and in order for the show not to be boreining there has to be drama. The judges have to be bickering amongst them self. There has to be a hero, a scoundrel and a referee. That's why we keep coming back. As for Paula...I feel she is just too nice. She was shot down on one episode when the contestant said that he thought she was different and did she forget how it was when she started. Ever since then, she waits to see what the two judges say and she will say, Yes. Very few times will she be the one to let them down. Just so she won't be the bad guy. I don't believe you have to sing to be a judge. My singing teacher couldn't sing but she had a large class she taught, promoted and assigned an agent to. As for Mcphee...I feel she has it all but that is my opinion. In my day it was Ted Macs Amateur Hour. I was not chosen because I could sing (Put anyone in an echo chamber and they can sing.) but I was cute sassy, full of confidence and not shy at all. And that is why I was picked.

February 09 2008 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cheri

He's right on about the comment about Paula. We saw her on Super Bowl sunday and it was, as Simon would say, "horrendous". Once again she sets herself up for ridicule. Randy however was cool. I hope she does another reality show though. That was hilarious!

February 09 2008 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dannygaviola

ygood day all the jurors all your contestant are good you have a good choise . good luck and more power when you go in philippines. actualy i did not watc you a several month only in internet searching but im not up dated bec. im working.

thanks.