December 18, 2014

This season of Dirt and The Riches will seem a bit short

by Joel Keller, posted Feb 7th 2008 10:02AM
The RichesEver since we heard that the writers' strike is close to being settled, we started wondering whether networks were going to restart production on all the shows that stopped or if they were going to call it a season and wait until next year. In the case of FX, at least, we know the answer: they're going to call it a season.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, FX's spring series Dirt and The Riches will both have shortened second seasons, airing only the seven episodes each series made before running out of scripts. The network is citing economic realities in the decision; I'd imagine rebuilding sets and getting new permits, etc. is a pretty expensive thing to do, especially for a cable network.

Neither show was a ratings blockbuster last year; when FX renewed both shows last year, they had to cite the cumulative numbers the shows gathered over multiple weekly airings. I'll be glad to see at least some new episodes of The Riches this year; it'll be a nice respite from the reality dreck we've been subjected to because of the strike.

Deb

I can't wait either!!! any word on when the new episodes will start?

February 14 2008 at 8:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kris

Did they say anything about starting back up again on Nip/Tuck? I mean, is it all FX shows or just Dirt and the Riches?

February 07 2008 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Any dirt is better than no dirt.

February 07 2008 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rogphi

The riches are back with 7 episodes? Its like living In England again where a season is 6-8 Episodes!
I couldnt Be happier! CANT WAIT!

February 07 2008 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CaptainAmericaHatesHippies

Upon first reading this article, I was miffed at only getting 7 episodes of "The Riches", but Jeremy put it best by expressing that it's wonderful just to have these shows back at all. This would not be the case on most other networks and, therefore, I shall rejoice at this small gift rather than wallow in sadness over the brevity of the new season.

Thanks for "adjusting my outlook" Jeremy.

February 07 2008 at 11:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeremy

Well, the fact that The Riches and Dirt are on their way back is wonderful regardless of the number of eps. we get...my fingers remain crossed, in hopes that both sides of the strike work things out, soon!!

Definitely looking forward to some more Lucy Spiller in my life on Sundays, come March 2nd...

February 07 2008 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply