July 22, 2014

Lipstick Jungle: Pilot (series premiere)

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Feb 8th 2008 12:45AM
Lipstick Jungle(S01E01) Earlier today, I gave you a take on what I thought NBC's new dramedy Lipstick Jungle was like. The series, based on a novel penned by Sex and the City author Candace Bushnell, premiered with a slightly revamped pilot and a whole lot of promos for Maybelline.

I won't rehash what I said in my early look post since there weren't enough changes between the two versions of the pilot. The main change is the recast of Wendy's husband (Paul Blackthorne took over the role held by Christopher Wiehl); a good move if you ask me. Wiehl's performance in the pilot wasn't believable and strong enough. Blackthorne is more fitting in the role and will bring in a nice flavor to the show thanks to his English background.

Even if Jungle is not the next big TV hit, I liked the somewhat complex characters and their storylines from the pilot enough to tune in next week. I'm particularly rooting for Victory and Joe mainly because he's a jerk who hides a charming man underneath a truckload of money and she calls it as it is. It's probably why he likes her, she doesn't play games with him and tells him exactly what she thinks about his ways of doings things and using his assistant.

The show is clearly aiming at the Sex and the City audience. Moreover, it will most likely share viewers with Cashmere Mafia. The network is not hiding the fact that females are their main target. Maybelline ads and tips aside, the show's website offers an online issue of Bonfire Magazine, that links to beauty and relationship articles found at iVillage.com. Fans will also be able to find more information about the feature accessory of the week and how to get the Jungle look.

If you've missed the pilot, it is set to rerun on USA Network on February 10 at 11 a.m. ET and 14 at 12 p.m. ET. Seven out of the 13 ordered episodes were completed before production was shutdown due to the strike.

What did you think of Lipstick Jungle?
Fantastic!123 (29.9%)
Good.110 (26.7%)
Meh.88 (21.4%)
Yuk!30 (7.3%)
I didn't watch.61 (14.8%)

Gordy

You people need to lighten up...it's TV. I thoroughly enjoyed this show. Brooke Shields, as expected, was excellent. I was amazed by how much she resembled Lynda Carter.

February 11 2008 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
T.

I have to admit that this is a show I would never watch based simply on the title and synopsis.

I'm only watching because Paul Blackthorne is in it (http://www.paulblackthorne.com). I like Brooke and Kim as well but I'll follow Paul anywhere.

I'm a little concerned that viewership is low because LJ is the 4th show this season featuring the Lifestyles of the Rich & Whiney: Dirty, Sexy, Money-- which I gave 20 minute to because of Donald Sutherland, Big Shots--- which I watched for 1-3 minutes of Paul each week, and Cashmere Mafia-- I tried that one because of it's competition with LJ but didn't make it past the first commercial.

February 09 2008 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zarina

I have to say that I only watched it because Paul Blackthorne is such a tremendous actor. I wasn't at ALL disappointed in his performance as Shane. Excellent, as always!

Wendy - she hardly sees her family all day & instead of spending time at night with them & possibly trying to strengthen her marriage, she's off to the friend's house to drink & commiserate.

Nico - instead of talking with her husband and at least TRYING to work out what the problem is, she has an affair - in the 1st episode.

For such supposedly extremely busy business people, they sure have an abundance of time to goof off together...As for the series itself, I can't see how the vast majority of the population are going to relate to these people.

February 08 2008 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tanya Palta

Was looking forward to this one as the book was good and it was touted as the next big thing! Boy I was disappointed. Boring and the actors looks uncomfortable. I think Cashmere Mafia may just emerge the winner. Not going to watch it again.

February 08 2008 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabelle Carreau

After reading comments here, I think one of the things that helped me think LJ was not that bad was because 1) I never read the book, 2) I wasn't an avid watcher of SatC. Therefore, I didn't really have something to compare it too. I tried to push my SatC knowledge at the back of my brain so not to see the differences/similarities and be too disappointed.

February 08 2008 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Isabelle Carreau's comment
sarah

i agree that Lipstick Jungle is not that bad. but, having read the book, i realize how the show could have been a whole lot better.

February 08 2008 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cheri

At least with Cashmere Mafia I watched two or three episodes before I gave up. I couldn't even make it through the pilot of this one! I turned off the TIVO and deleted it at about halfway.

Predictable, boring, and poorly acted.

February 08 2008 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rex

I thought Candace Bushnell was upset with the creation of this show. I remember reading that she was basically betrayed by a friend who decided to produce the show and cut Bushnell out of the way. I have told my wife that we shouldn't watch the show because of that. How can you expect the show to be good when the creater is shut out and swindled out of the process?

February 08 2008 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rex's comment
klm

Actually, Candace Bushnell is still involved with Lipstick Jungle. The friend you're referring to is Darren Star, who went on to make Cashmere Mafia for ABC.

February 08 2008 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah

vacelts, i would def recommend the book. its a great read.

February 08 2008 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vacelts

Brett, I'd rather watch Bionic Woman over Lipstick Jungle.

February 08 2008 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vacelts

Jen, I think I might have liked it better if it had a lighter feel.

February 08 2008 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply