April 16, 2014

MSNBC's David Shuster is not having a good week - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 8th 2008 4:23PM

MSNBC correspondent and anchor David Shuster finds himself in not one but two controversies today.

First, while filling in for Tucker Carlson yesterday, Shuster made the comment "Doesn't it seem like Chelsea's sort of being pimped out in some weird sort of way?" referring to Chelsea Clinton's campaigning for her mother Hillary and making phone calls to superdelegates and The View. Well, Democratic officials (and MSNBC execs) aren't happy with the remark, and have threatened to pull out of the February 26 MSNBC debate. Shuster apologized this morning and also plans to go back on Carlson's show today to apologize again. (Update: Shuster has been suspended for his comment!)

But that's not the only controversy Shuster is in the middle of this week...

This morning he was filling in for Joe Scarborough on Morning Joe while Scarborough was on vacation, and during a call from Scarborough to talk about the election with Shuster, Pat Buchanan, and Mika Brzezinski, Scarborough got Morning Mad at Shuster for cutting him off after an answer. Now, they tried to laugh it off, but you could tell from Scarborough's tone and Shuster's reaction that it was really tense and not fake-tense. Scarborough reminded Shuster that the only reason why he's filling in for him is because he let him. Ouch.

The Huffington Post has the first comment and the apology, while the Morning Joe footage is below [via TV Newser].

cmccue5788

I was beginning to enjoy the show until Joe started his so-called "love affair" with Hillary.... He's completely biased and chooses to carefully always or MOST of the time cover what he sees as Hillary's "gains" but purposefully chooses to allow very little time for Obama coverage.... He has said so himself on the show when things come up about Hillary that are extremely contraversail... he tends to sly by those very quickly but gives alot of time to Obama coverage when it is unpopular...

As a news reporter he's an embarrasment!! He clearly takes sides.. I hate watching his show now and wouldn't watch him if you paid me!

He's the epitamy of white supremacy in this country and many of his comments ahve proved such... I never watched or liked Imus and I like Joe way less.

April 16 2008 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pete Amend

"Heck there is a TV show called Pimp My Ride. Now is that offensive?"
There are also shows called Pimp My Dad, Pimp my Van, and others. Snoop Dogg uses it all the time on his PG rated show (in a good way as in 'pimped and ready to go').
I was thinking the same sort of thing when I have seen Chelsea on TV lately. You do not want your kids joked about, don't show them off. Tom & Katie get jokes all the time about their daughter but they realize it comes with being in the public eye. I thought David made a keen observation.

Hope no one ever watches South Park because just about every president's relative is ridiculed (including Chelsea). Will people on talk shows (like David Letterman) and "fake" news programs (like Jon Stewart) be subject to the same suspensions and protests? Paris Hilton is okay but political spokespeople are off limits?

MAD Magazine recently released an ENTIRE book of anti-Bush humor -- no relative was left alone (poor Jeb and Bush daughters/nieces). Do you hear any of them complaining?

Freedom of Speech used to be a right but I guess that excludes spokespeople that happen to also be political children. Is this what we have to look forward to if Hill is elected dictator? I cast my vote for Freedom.

February 14 2008 at 8:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kurt

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH DAVID SAYING WHAT HE SAID. BILL AND HILL ARE USING THEIR DAUGHTER FOR HILL'S GAIN. SHE IS A GROWN WOMAN GLAD HANDING FOR HER MOM TRYING TO GET PEOPLE TO VOTE FOR MOM - BUT NO ONE FROM THE PRESS CAN SPEAK WITH HER. SORRY - YOU ARE NOW A PUBLIC FIGURE PUTTING YOURSELF OUT THERE. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SPEAK, STAY IN THE BACKGROUND. FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND THOUGH - SHE IS AN INTELLIGENT WOMAN. I THINK MOM AND DAD ARE DOING HER A DIS-SERVICE.

February 11 2008 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dee

I think he had every right to question the "Chelsea off-limits" situation, but the word was a little too edgy. Problem is he has been getting away with that for awhile...I find it hard to watch him do a straight report on NBC's Nightly News when I've heard his smart-alec (usually Republican bashing) comments all over MSNBC. It makes me wonder what facts he is leaving out to color the story. It's the same with Andrea Mitchell, David Gregory, and all those types who give opinion on all the NBC outlets. Give me the day when I didn't know a reporter's views and could feel they were giving me both sides of the story.

February 09 2008 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ggrods

Bella AZ
I totally agree with "Giza." Pat Buchanan is the only one
that is neutral/objective when politically speaking about
any subject or other TV personalities. He is respectful. And that's the way it should be. If Chelsea Clinton does not want to speak to reporters, they should respect that, not insult her. MSNBC did the right in suspending David Shuster. He was being disrepectful. It doesnt matter whether is a slang "word" or the "in" thing to say to anyone. He needs to mature a bit longer, if he wants to be viewed as a good reporter, and that goes for Chris Matthews, Tucker, Norah O'Donnell and Joe carborough.
TOM BROKAW THEY ARE NOT !!

February 09 2008 at 4:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
E.T.

Joe Scarborough being a douche again, earlier this week Scarborough laughed and mocked Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan, even though over 70 Canadian troops have died there.
Scarborough saying stuff like the Taliban is not afraid of Canadian soldiers.
Like 5 minutes later he was apologizing on air, but thats more worse than what David Shuster said.

February 08 2008 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to E.T.'s comment
No1Dad

"The weird thing is David Shuster is part of what the right-wing call the liberal media."

How does dissing Clinton in favor of Obama disprove that fact?

February 09 2008 at 1:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

"Well, Democratic officials (and MSNBC execs) aren't happy with the remark..."

In other words the Clintons got pissed off.

The Clintons cheat, lie and will most likely steal to "win" this election. They don't like something said? Then don't have the daughter working for the champaign. This is what happens.

And like the last three people said, so much for free speech and if someone said something bad about Bush the only "news" network would be Fox (so called) News..

February 08 2008 at 8:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
budship1

This has become the problem in America. We have freedom of speech until we say something, then we either get suspended or fired.

This political correct business needs to stop. Being offensive is one thing but just making a valid point using a slang word that is hardly offensive is another.

Heck there is a TV show called Pimp My Ride. Now is that offensive?

Granted Shuster is clearly a fan of Obama but that should have nothing to do with having him suspended. The Clintons are making a much to do about nothing.

February 08 2008 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

What's funny is how people get so upset about what people say know a days. He made a valid observation that Chelsea should not be off limits for the campaign work she has done in this election and then made the pimp remark. It was stupid, but it was valid.

February 08 2008 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angela

I can't believe that the person I agree with most of the time is Pat Buchanan, he's the only one that seems to put personal thoughts aside and analyzes the politics at hand.
It seems to me that the Clintons can't win for losing.
Women pundits seem to think if they say anything good it will be a sign of weakness, men, in general, think they can take pot shots at Bill (but everyone else's spouse's are off limits) and every one else (except Pat, as far as I can see) thinks it's a personality contest.
Very few have a clue what's going on in the country, they are all out of touch and should have a 'man on the street' segment on every show.
Tucker has degenerated into a rabid dog, and Chris Mathews is devolving as well.
Ah well, what do I know.

February 08 2008 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Angela's comment
No1Dad

"It's about time someone did something about the nasty comments some of those hosts make about the Clintons."

Think about what your saying. If they did something about everyone who made a nasty comment about Bush there would be no one left on TV. Is that really what you want? Or is it just the Clintons who should be off limits?

February 08 2008 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mayorjimmy

It's pretty obvious you know JACK about politics with that statement.

Chelsea has been "off limits" to the media since Bill first took office. You'd know that if you bothered checking. Just like Gore's drug addict son. Bet you never read about HIM while Gore was VP. no of course not.

The fact that the press is taking shots at Chelsea shows just how much the Clinton influence is slipping. If i were her i'd pray mommy got the nomination because if Obama gets it, the press is not going to hold back when it comes to Clinton dirty laundry.

February 09 2008 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply