August 20, 2014

Jericho: Reconstruction (season premiere)

by Paul Goebel, posted Feb 12th 2008 11:02PM

Lennie James & Skeet Ulrich(S02E01) As the show began, I couldn't help but feel like I was seeing an old friend. You know, that friend who went away for a semester and you missed because he was always entertaining. I know I wasn't the only one grinning like an idiot as the the new season of Jericho began.

Esai Morales sure has come a long way since he played Ritchie Valens' big brother. Seeing him in another leader role reminds me how good he was on NYPD Blue. Taming Sipowicz is going to look like a piece of cake compared to this job.

The recapping of events was a little ham-fisted with the scene in the hospital. Did Blueberry Bob suffer a head wound? I appreciate being brought up to speed but I think the news report could have easily done all that.

Part of the reason I love this show is because the premise seems fairly fantastical and yet it's clear that this kind of thing could actually happen at any time. Consequently, the fallout (as it were) of the attack leads to decisions that no one would ever consider having to make. While I understand Jake's thirst for revenge, it's clear that Maj. Beck is doing the right thing. He's there to keep the peace and help rebuild the country. Turning a blind eye while Jake, Eric and everyone else with a grudge gets their revenge on New Bern is the best way to sabotage that rebuilding.

Making Jake the new sheriff is an idea that has been a long time coming. When the sheriff was killed in the first episode, I had to be one of many who saw Jake wearing the star. Although, to be honest, it's taken so long, I had forgotten all about it. The great thing is that now we get to see Jake wrestle with his need for vengeance and his duty to uphold the law.

It's nice to see Sprague Grayden back in town. I, honestly, thought that she was gone for good. Now we get to see that love triangle we all loved so much last season. Seriously though, with Heather acting as the liaison between the towns, it won't be long before she and Jake have a difference of opinion. Could this all be a part of Beck's master plan? Is he setting the town of Jericho up for failure so he can institute the kind of martial law we saw in the other towns?

I've never been a fan of the turbulent love affair between Stanley and Mimi but it's nice to know that as annoying as Mimi is, she is still quite business savvy. Why anyone would trust Jennings and Rall is beyond me. After all this town has been through, the last thing they should be doing is trusting some corporation with matching outfits.

I thought we had seen the last of the battling Green brothers but it seems that isn't the case. Eric is still trying to be the favorite son even after their Dad is dead and gone. This song is a bit overplayed for me.

One thing I never tire of seeing is the straight up, bad-assedness of Robert Hawkins. The conspiracy is my favorite part of this show and watching Lennie James come closer and closer to unraveling it is a lot of fun.

I can't end this review without mentioning the casting of George Newbern as the the President of Cheyenne. I mean New Bern? Come on.

Who will be the next character to die on Jericho
Eric78 (28.3%)
Gail56 (20.3%)
Darcy56 (20.3%)
Emily30 (10.9%)
Heather56 (20.3%)

JonInCanada

Like the rest of you I really loved season 1 of Jericho and was excited to see it return.
However, I was sadly disappointed with the new episode. The thing I loved about season 1 was the story of the community rebuilding society in the face of fear and the loss of communication. Now that Jericho has television, access to the outside world, and the potential for unlimited resources, I feel like most of the tension from the show has been removed. Shows like Jericho and Lost work well because they set up certain boundaries which the viewer learns to expect. By opening up the boundaries in Jericho I think the writers have created a world which will be difficult to manage and difficult to watch.

February 18 2008 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj green

I was also one who emailed, sent nuts, etc, and seeing the nuts made me grin. I love this show. It could happen, but it is so much more. THESE characters are believeable, unlike Lost, etc. People would be hoarding, and still trying to make money. I don't trust the new government, or the Major. I sure don't trust Chavez. Hawkins is telling too much. Where's Gail? I, too, keep thinking Lassie when Constantino is on. But the contrast in his characters is pretty awesome. Talented guy. I hope they don't kill him off. Maybe Beck will use him to keep Jake in line. I have already emailed CBS and Sci Fi, thanking them, and yes, begging them to keep going.

February 14 2008 at 7:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

just got around to watching the show on dvr... did anyone else notice the horrible editing and production quality? it appeared to me that nothing was the same... camera angles, scene transition, dialogue, character interaction... nothing seemd as it should be... I was trying to come up with a better way of describing it but to me it looked like a very low budget made-for-tv movie rather than a primetime show... it's almost as if there was no real thought put into post-production at all... I hope they following episodes are more polished... still great to have the show back.

February 13 2008 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dave's comment
Lynn

I felt the same, but I also felt like someone else was writing it. Like the familar characters were speaking in words and cadences that are completely different from last season.

February 14 2008 at 1:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

The thing that struck me most while watching this episode is that I really need to go back and watch Season 1 (and 1.5 or whatever they called it) again. I liked what I saw last season, but I couldn't remember half the people who were popping up on my screen. And two of the people I remember most, Jake's mom and the deaf chick, were MIA. So I'd have to say I was entertained but confused last night.

February 13 2008 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Benjy

Great episode! Welcome back, Jericho! I hope you can last at least one more season.

Heather is back. Yah! I was getting sick of this Jake/Emily crap. Emily forgot about her fiance as soon as he left town! I liked the Jake/Heather chemistry much better and I hope that, although she is billed as only a "Special Guest Star", Sprague Grayden is here to stay as Heather and back to claim Jake as well.

February 13 2008 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jessie

I loved the episode as well but I am totally confused with the Hawkins part of the story. Maybe someone can clarify. Here is what I think I get. Hawkins was undercover as a terrorist to set off one of the bombs but then backed out? Is that right so far?

Was Sara then one of the bad guys hired by the bald guy to act as a good guy going under cover?

Who was the guy last night that tracked down Hawkins? Was he a good guy undercover as a bad guy or just a bad guy who thinks Hawkins is a bad guy?

See confused - is there anyone who can sort this out for me?

February 13 2008 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Livi

It was great to see the show again and I loved the peanuts - it was a great shout out.

February 13 2008 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan Burns

I too was grinning the entire episode as I was one of the people who made phone calls, wrote letters, and helped to bring the show back.

You can tell it is only a 7 episode season because of the quick resolution between Jericho and New Bern. I would have liked to see more of the primitive conflict between the two cities.

I too see Lasiter every time I see Constantino, and it's wierd. It's really wierd with their series overlapping right now.

I can't wait until next week and hopefully our #s will be decent. I do agree with where they placed the show. It fits better with the Unit and NCIS.

February 13 2008 at 9:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Susan Burns's comment
iamhoff

I, too, was grinning like an idiot for the exact same reasons. Who knew I'd actually get thru to Nina Tassler at CBS on the phone? I completely agree that the ep was very fast paced. All that's going to do is make me want more. Stanley was kind of a goober, but I did like seeing Mimi get her business smackdown on with Jennings and Rall. Loving the new conflict with Jake (revenge vs. upholding the law), and the anticipation of more (more Jake vs. Eric, Jake/Emily vs. Jake/Heather, etc.), and I find it interesting that Hawkins has his wife that much more involved in things. I seem to recall last season that she became aware of everything, but that she was trying to avoid involvement. She looked pretty damn involved last night! It's also going to be really interesting to see how the "new governments" work out. Who are the good guys, who's got the edge, when is the civil war coming? And has anybody figured out who all is missing from last season? Obviously Johnston is gone. Jake's mom is supposedly out at the ranch, but is she still cast? Stanley's sister is MIA, as is Dale and I think Hawkins' kids. Anyone else?

Cannot freaking wait for next week!

February 13 2008 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jaerisk

yea Hawkins is bad ass, if this show doesn't come back how bout he and Jake travel the states and beat down the baddies, heck throw in Maj. Beck. The bad assery would increase by 110%.

February 13 2008 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

At least now we know what happened to the tank...

February 13 2008 at 7:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply