October 22, 2014

Ugly Betty axes two producers

by Brad Trechak, posted Feb 12th 2008 9:31AM
Ugly BettyWhen the writers' strike ends, the show Ugly Betty will be minus two producers. Executive producers Marco Pennette and James Hayman were let go from the series just as it was renewed for its third season.

This is not the first time significant changes were brought to the show between seasons. Five writers were released from the show between its first and second seasons.

Since Ugly Betty still has three executive producers left (series creator Silvio Horta, Salma Hayek and Jose Tamez), I can only guess that they were getting rid of dead wood. I doubt it will affect the quality of the series since this sort of thing happens in television and movies all the time. ABC has not confirmed the departures, but someone is going to notice it eventually.

It's amazing how the politics work behind a television show. I suspect it's very soap opera, much like the show Ugly Betty itself.

marisolace

Eh, I'm with Jan here. I did prefer Season 2 to 1, though in my opinion it's been a fabulous run altogether. As for the overblown drama comment, maybe that's just my thing - Why else would I have a NANA icon for this place? It's like Ugly Betty, only placed in Tokyo with rock bands as the main conflict. ¬__¬

But what else is there to do storyline-wise this season? I mean, we already introduced something huge (faked deaths, real deaths, sex change operations, extreme makeovers leading to hidden pasts, etc) in the first two, so I hope they've got some more ideas for the show to stretch it out. What to look out for..

- The pregnancy. Obviously. It'll take a while to expand upon but there's not much to do with it.
- Amanda and her 'father', who I'm still doubting is actually her dad. Really? Gene Simmons? Can anyone say 'red herring'?
- Renee's secret. If the writers have even thought of what it might be.
- The obvious love triangle found with Henry, Betty and Gio. Though, with Henry.. well.. having to leave fairly soon to take care of his kid, I think we know where this is ending up.

Yeah, there's not much. I guess, if all else fails we can get a lot of Mark/Cliff filler episodes. Personally, I think their relationship could fuel it's own show about various misadventures, but we need to be thinking about plot lines for continuing shows as opposed to new ones.

February 13 2008 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

Ditto, rtms. The writing in the first season was fabulous. It had the perfect balance of realism (working at a magazine), family (suarezes vs. meads), kooky humour with killer lines & soap sappiness (overdone drama & romance). However, this year, with the exception of fashion week, the storylines have gone 80% over to overblown drama and romance. I was bored watching Bradford die and am creeped out by the artificial insemination plot. Plus, the show has narrowed from including meetings with extras about the magazine, family bits with the suarezes & different themes each week (on top of their subthemes), to three months focusing on only a few items and the key characters don't interact as much.

February 12 2008 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Anita's comment
andrew

I disagree. With the exception of this stupid Henry/Betty "nerd-on-nerd" romance, I actually like Season 2, and I personally think that much of this season is better than Season 1. And I do think there is more character interaction this season - plenty of it, in fact (How about "Giving Up the Ghost" or even "I See Me, I.C.U."?).

Besides, the show can't be exactly the same from one season to the next. If Season 2 ended up being an exact clone of Season 1, then how interesting would that be? My attention would dwindle eventually, and I'm sure others would say the same as well.

February 12 2008 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

Po-tay-toe, po-tah-toe - :)

February 12 2008 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rtms

So that's why the stories have sucked this year, no writers!

February 12 2008 at 11:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply