December 19, 2014

Boston Legal: Glow in the Dark

by Paul Goebel, posted Feb 13th 2008 7:33AM

Sam Beckett leaps into the body of a Boston lawyer(S04E13) "Denny Crane, to serve and protect" - Denny Crane

Only a couple minutes into the show and the crazy meter is off the charts. Nutjob Leigh is threatening Katie. Denny is having anonymous sex with Shirley's friend and I'm having a Murphy Brown flashback.

I've lost a lot of respect for Jerry. What could possibly compel him to get involved with Leigh again other than his being a pitiful loser? It seemed like he was making progress for a while there. Doesn't he know that a woman who leaves you once is very likely to leave you again? I just hope he never takes her on a date to an electronics expo.

I love it when Alan goes up against a lawyer who is a challenge. All his opponents who get upset and bluster about how out of line he is can get really boring. Scott Bakula is a perfect nemesis for Alan, too bad he sings like Mandy Patinkin.

Who exactly was I supposed to feel sorry for during the musical number? Carl the mope who refuses to fight for his woman? Jack Ross for pining over a lost love? That dude at the bar for having to hear Bakula actually sing?

As if Alan and Denny couldn't get any weirder, they have now come one step closer to making love to each other. The sexual tension between Shatner & Spader is beginning to rival that of Maddie & David on Moonlighting. Is it only a matter of time before they give in to their desires only to have Denny run off and marry Dennis Dugan?

Is it just me or has Henry Gibson started to act more and more like Judge Henry Bone? He doesn't let people finish talking. He bangs his gavel incessantly. I was half expecting Fyvush Finkel to storm into the courtroom and announce that he was second chair.

Once again, I fell for it. During Alan's closing, I thought to myself, "Gee, this argument on nuclear power seems pretty fair and balanced." Then Alan jumped out of his seat and hit me with this week's agenda. For the most part, I agree with what he said about the poor neighborhoods becoming giant landfills, I was just hoping, for once, I could see an episode that didn't take sides. Hey, a guy can dream can't he?

The scene between Denny and Shirley was a little creepy but also a little sweet. It also made one thing perfectly clear. Shirley has a thing for starship captains. I can't wait 'til Kate Mulgrew makes a guest appearance.

In all seriousness, I'm glad Carl broke it off. Shirley has no idea how great she has it. She's a powerful, successful senior partner in a law firm. She's well-liked and respected by her friends and colleagues. She's smart, beautiful and funny and until she blew it, she had a man who was madly in love with her. What is it that makes people take for granted the ones who care about them most?

Who do you miss the most
Paul Lewiston53 (26.8%)
Brad Chase62 (31.3%)
Denise Bauer70 (35.4%)
Rebecca Elder13 (6.6%)

Bapman

What is the music that plays when Jack Ross [Scott Bakula] says goodbye to Shirley in the courtroom and leaves.
It was beautiful... can't get it out of my head.
Can ANY 1 help !!!??? Please !?

April 11 2008 at 3:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elsie

What is the very last song heard in the bar Shirly is sitting in. I thought I heard "I was born too late". It seemed to be being done by a guitarist in the bar. Thanks

February 19 2008 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron

Does anyone know the name of the song played at the bar while Shirly and that guy are talking? Some of the words I could get were "I could stay...Playing around with my heart." Could someone help me out? Thanks!

February 16 2008 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Aaron's comment
Elsie

I can't stand it- by Clapton

February 19 2008 at 1:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leila

Eh, it may just be the fact that I'm soft-hearted romantic who's a sucker for any musical number in television, but I LOVED that scene. That song is just pretty darn sad. You could see that both of them were pining over it inside, and well, with the crazy sex crap and the nutcase Leigh trying to be threatening and whatnot, that little bit of poignancy was nice. And that song is just pretty darn sad.

February 16 2008 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CygnusTM

Your poll is missing Lori Colson. And who is Rebecca Elder?

February 14 2008 at 10:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ric Kaysen

I know it sounds so wrong, but I actually enjoy reading the episode synopsis before watching the show and since I time shift everything on my DVR...well, that's just the way it works out. After reading this review, I was so discomforted by the suggested homoerotic trend that I questioned whether or not I could continue watching. Thankfully, after seeing Allens persistent discomfort at the mental imagery of being anywhere near a naked Denny Crane, I was mercifully less discomforted. Yes, the political preaching is still a bore, but as with West Wing, superior writing makes it tolerable and a few opinionated Hollywood writers are not going to brainwash me. And another thing...the recurring sexual innuendo between Denny and Shirley is part of the long relationship. It's obvious she "gets him" and his raunchy comments lighten the mood.

February 13 2008 at 6:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ric Kaysen's comment
Akbar Fazil

So it's ok for rampant heterosexual sex but if it strays anywhere near homosexuality it is wrong and disgusting?

February 14 2008 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JasonM

I still really like Jerry, he and Denny are the reasons I watch the show.

Also, Boston Legal is so funny, except for the 15 minutes of each show that Alan spouts liberal talking points. I've never had such a love-hate relationship with a show.

February 13 2008 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carole

Is anyone else sick of the whole Asperger's shtick? Jerry was funny the first season for a few times, now I want to just turn off everytime he's on. There have been a lot of people who have come and gone on this show that I would much rather be watching every week.

February 13 2008 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorothy

Sure would love to see Scott Bakula back on the show as Shirley's love interest!!

February 13 2008 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pashworth

I know I have a copy of Mandy singing Once Upon A Time (although I don't know if he did it on Chicago Hope), hence *my* flashback.

It was downright odd for me to flash like that, considering I'm a major fan of Scott *and especially* his singing.

That said, I've known that song since I was at least a teenager and even own a 45 of it by someone that I'm not totally sure who she is. And I tend to sing it at random times, when nothing else is stuck in my head. And yet, I never liked it all that much, since it's a very sad song, and it tends to depress me. But now... Mandy-like or not, I thought it was beautiful.

As for the rest of the ep - I'm going to have to watch it again (and again), and yes, it's nice for Alan to have competition who is not a wet noodle. I kept forgetting which side I was supposed to be on. And yes, the bully pulpit thing gets old sometimes. However, it was about a second between NIMBY and Alan's punchline that I remembered where the waste goes....

February 13 2008 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply