September 2, 2014

NBC post-strike: some series return soon, Chuck, Life, Heroes return in the fall

by Joel Keller, posted Feb 13th 2008 6:02PM
NBC logoWhen I posted about CBS's post strike announcement, I said it would be great if the other networks followed the Eye's lead. Well, almost as soon as I hit "Publish" on that post, NBC came out with two press releases discussing some of their post-strike plans.

The first release confirms what we had been guessing at since we got the news of the settlement: Chuck, Life and Heroes have all been picked up for 2008-09, but none of the shows will return until the fall. The second release discusses the return dates of several shows (list after the jump). It's not as helpful as CBS's release because it doesn't tell us how many episodes are left (so, for all we know, we'll see the Scrubs conclusion on DVD, as Bill Lawrence told Mike Ausiello). But at least we know when all of these shows are coming back -- April 10 seems to be the big day for fans of 30 Rock and The Office, for example.

Now we have FOX, CW, and ABC left. Think they're going to step up to the plate soon?

"Medium" (Mondays, 10-11 p.m. ET)
Continues current run

"My Name Is Earl" (Thursdays, 8-8:30 p.m. ET)
Resumes April 3 with one-hour episode

"30 Rock" (Thursdays, 8:30-9 p.m. ET)
Resumes April 10

"The Office" (Thursdays, 9-9:30 p.m. ET)
Resumes April 10

"Scrubs" (Thursdays, 9:30-10 p.m. ET)
Resumes April 10

"ER" (Thursdays, 10-11 p.m. ET)
Resumes April 10

"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (Tuesdays, 10-11 p.m. ET)
Resumes April 15

"Law & Order" (Wednesdays, 10-11 p.m. ET)
Resumes April 23

sonyaritta

Heroes will return Sept 15!!

April 06 2008 at 7:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eric

why isnt heroes on airing until fall? that sucks

February 27 2008 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
monic

I'm so happy Life's coming back and with additional episodes! However, I've been catching up with Journeyman and loving it, I'm disappointed they didn't renew the series. I think Journeyman and Life works as a back-to-back series.

February 15 2008 at 4:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

I thought that Journeyman's late-season "Aeden Bennett" story-arc was as good or better than any other 2-part episode on TV in a long time. Why do people only watch crap shows like Deal or No Deal instead of good shows?

February 14 2008 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CygnusTM

I wish NBC would confirm one way or the other about the fate of Journeyman.

February 14 2008 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
h8rain

My two new favorite shows are Journeyman and Life. I am thrilled that Life is coming back, but disappointed that Journeyman is not on that list. Is that confirmation of it being cancelled?

Journeyman paid SO much attention to detail. Generally when you have time travel, they throw basic logic out the window. The music, clothes, phones, cars, everything was period specific. I will miss that level of dedication to detail, just to tell a story. :(

February 14 2008 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to h8rain's comment
CaptainAmericaHatesHippies

You're absolutely right about all the details. That alone made Journeyman so much more believable. Getting the little things right where others just ignored them was one of the key reasons I always enjoyed the show.

I don't recall any other series making such a big deal out of something like cash and the little "tweaks" to paper money over the years. I'm a bit OCD so a show missing things like that would kind of bug me. I know it's trivial, but it filled in all the little cracks nicely and made for a smoothly believable transition to another era.

Now I'm missing Journeyman even more!

February 14 2008 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

i figured chuck and heroes were coming back and am glad life is renewed. i didnt watch it until the strike started and ended up really liking it. it had a great self contained plot that they resolved by the end so it made sense that they would just wait till next year for a new one.

February 14 2008 at 1:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Chuck is too stupid for me, sorry. I thought it would get canceled but there you have it - I am not the target audience ;-) I just can't accept that the whole spy-world just happens to happen around Chuck and that intelligence reveals everything but just wasn't correctly analyzed and the right connections made. Well maybe I would accept it if it wasn't a guy who could've fallen off the "Riptide" (and I liked that show). I guess I am just too old to enjoy it and have seen too much already *sigh*. "Journeyman" on the other hand I liked though it was nothing more than another "Quantum Leap". Still don't like how QL ended. But at least that show got a real ending.

I also like that "Life" got renewed but I too miss FNL on that list. There hasn't been a good teenager show on since Dawson's Creek so I have my fingers crossed FNL will get a renew.

February 14 2008 at 12:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bash's comment
Oreo

I think Chuck is stupid too just because of how he got all the know-how, a video download?

However I do see the charm, the actor who plays Chuck does a good job and is likable.

February 14 2008 at 12:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Ditto the Journeyman sentiments. Though the subject matter might not be as interesting, I think the show's writing trumps Chuck, Heroes, and Life. I will miss thee Journeyman.

February 13 2008 at 11:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

Very, very glad to see Chuck and Life get renewals. Sad that Journeyman didn't get a second chance as it improved dramatically over its short life.

I guess 2 out of 3 is better than expected for TV though.

February 13 2008 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply