April 16, 2014

Send your hair to ABC to save Cavemen

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 13th 2008 1:28PM

CavemenOK, now this might be the grossest "save our show" mail campaign yet.

The folks over at New York mag's Vulture Culture are urging readers to send hair to ABC to save the in-trouble sitcom Cavemen. They're upset that the show wasn't on ABC's list of shows renewed for the 2008-09 season, and they want people to start mailing envelopes filled with their hair to ABC Entertainment President Stephen McPherson. And they're suggesting you even shave your head completely. They want you to include the note "Hair Today, Hair Tomorrow." No word yet on whether or not the stuff will be sent Hair-Mail (ha!).

I guess this could be worse. Viewers could mail in dead Geico lizards to save the show or something, but this is still pretty odd. We've come a long way from nuts and light bulbs. The idea is in jest (I think), but I'm sure a lot of people are going to mail the hair anyway. Stephen, if you're reading this, watch out for hair in the mail.

Personally, I had completely forgotten about this show. Maybe part of it was because of the strike, sure, but I think this is a show that wasn't coming back regardless of what happened. I wonder how many fans are actually sad to see this show go enough to send a part of their body to save it?

CavemanLust

WTF is Wrong with people?!?! Cavemen was Easily the Best show i'v seen in the last 10 years. For Once they actually made a show that was Hilarious, and didnt rely on something sex related for 9 out of every 10 jokes. I guess thats why it didn't appeal to most viewers. The jokes actually made you Think, unlike the vast majority of shows these days. It seems like, if its not about Sex, its not funny anymore. The shows of today definitely reflect that. And people who only watched one episode and say it sucked have no right to judge. Cavemen continually added new layers to the show as the episodes went on. Cavewomen.. Shavers.. Who knows what else since it was canceled so quickly. It was Witty humor, that continually expanded and added real Depth to there "oppressive" world. Something unheard of in todays shows. Sex and Violence only gets you so far.

In searching for the reason why the show was no longer on, i came across one persons "Intelligent" assessment of Cavemen "I Didn't Watch It, But Turning A Commercial Into A Show Is Never A Good Idea. Probly Better They Canceled It." In Truth i thought the same thing before actually WATCHING the show. But my opinion changed immediatly. Cavemen was an instant Classic, yet i knew deep down it probly wouldnt last. It was Above most people. They want boob and fart jokes, they cant comprehend anything more.

If they cant please the masses, At Least release the series on DVD for those who actually Got Cavemen, and understand it's unparalleled Genius!

April 10 2008 at 8:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to CavemanLust's comment
beth

HELL YESSS! i totally agree with everything written in the previous entry 100%. Their are 3 types of groups who don't think the caveman show is funny 1) Those who reject it because they think they are supossed to reject it 2) those who are too afraid to voice their own opinion and wait until they hear what #1 will say... 3) those who actually at one point in their lives really truely believed college was gunna be just like MTV and when they found out it wasn't they went on spring break anyway and pretended like they were having all the fun and "good times" they thought would be real one day

May 07 2008 at 5:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Malina

I checked on Media Predict and they're predicting a 20 percent odds that "Cavemen" will get picked up next year.

(For those who don't know, it's a stock market game where people buy shares in television and movies. Higher shares means higher probability.)

Let's hope they're wrong! I actually thought the show was funny...

March 24 2008 at 9:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I actually watched the first 2 eps of "Cavemen" mainly because I wanted to check out "Carpoolers" and thought what the hell, might as well waste a whole hour. Well, I got tired of Carpoolers quickly, and Cavemen was the worst show I've seen in a long time. Even "Viva Laughlin" was better, and I'm not kidding. Cavemen just wasn't funny it was stupid. I really can't believe anyone thought otherwise, but that's just my opinion.

February 14 2008 at 4:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kickit

def seems like some sort of joke, but who knows. I loved how it was done for Jericho... but if people start doing it for shows that aren't even that good (I can't speak for Cavemen as I've only seen one episode), then it won't have any meaning anymore.. and will get old as the above poster said.

February 14 2008 at 12:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Midnight Penguin

If your hair is long enough send it to Locks of Love instead, don't partake in this ridiculous plan. Is it even sanitary to send hair?? I'm pretty sure in order to go through the mail it's gotta be in a ziploc bag and then in a bubble envelope with some declaration on the outside of the package...while I'm happy that Jericho was brought back, this continued idea that shows can get saved by sending stuff in is going to get old.

February 13 2008 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rex

Great! I have been sending my hair in the mail to ABC for years now! These guys decide it is the cool thing to do and now all the trendy hipsters will start doing it.

Next thing you know people will start copying me and start sending their toe nail clippings to Conan Obrien.

February 13 2008 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rex's comment
kickit

^lol

February 14 2008 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

If they get any hair at all it probably won't be the kind most people would think of...maybe that'll keep the show off air.

February 13 2008 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

At least it was better than According to Jim.

February 13 2008 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

What do we send to keep it off the air?

February 13 2008 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Where do I send my gratitude?

February 13 2008 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply