April 23, 2014

TV in comics update: Buffy, Angel, The Stranded and Serenity

by Keith McDuffee, posted Feb 14th 2008 3:21PM
buffy comicIt's been a while since my last review of a Buffy season eight comic, and since then there's been other developments in the TV-on-comics front (we should have a category for that). Rather than dedicate separate posts to this news, I'll round everything up here, at least this time around.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - season eight - Issues #10 & #11
These were stand-alone "episodes," unlike 'The Long Way Home' and 'No Future for You'. A few things are revealed here that help keep the Big Bad of this season in play. Willow has even more power than we could have realized in past seasons, and an unexpected person has a crush on Buffy. I really liked 'A Beautiful Sunset' (#11) more than any other issue, with a great moment where one of the main, masked antagonists is almost revealed. Classic Joss writing.

A new multi-part series kicks off March 5, written by veteran Drew Goddard.

angel after the fallAngel: After the Fall - Issues #1 through #3

As much as I've loved having Buffy back with an eighth season, I had mixed feelings when I heard Angel would be coming back in comic form (and following canon.) Firstly, Dark Horse passed on obtaining the license for the series (a thing I believe they later admitted regretting), meaning the two series would, again, not cross-over into each other. Secondly, I had my own assumption of what happened after the events in the televised "series finale," and I knew they were going completely away from that (not that I felt I was right, mind you, just that they were going for a far-out-there world that could really only work in comics).

I'm happy to report that I was totally wrong to think this series would suck. So far, at three issues in, I'm hooked and loving it. The writing is on-par with what we're used to from the televised show, if not better. The shockers thrown at us early on make fans of the series hungry to read more. It would be difficult to discuss this series with anyone without giving away some sort of spoiler. If you've been wondering if the series is worth picking up, definitely give the first three issues a try. They may be hard to find, though, as I've had to go to the comic store on release day mornings to get a copy before they sell out!

the strandedThe Stranded - Issue #1
This series bears mention because it's something a television network put out, Sci Fi, along with Virgin Comics. other than that, it's not television related ... yet, at least. I do wonder if the network is trying a new approach by releasing a comic book first, with a show based on it second. So far I'm not sure they could pull it off with the effects intact.

The first issue definitely has me interested to see where they are going with the series, and has a kind-of anime feel to it, though in the theme and not the art.

serenitySerenity: Better Days
This one nearly flew under the radar for me, and I'm glad I caught wind of it early enough to keep a lookout for it next month. This is another series that will be co-written by the man him self, Joss Whedon, and at least according to my contacts at Dark Horse, is considered canon in the Firefly universe. The series is only set to run for three issues, just like the previous series, Serenity: Those Left Behind (which, sadly, I never picked up but plan to.)

'Better Days' takes place in the Firefly timeframe, even though its title indicates it's more movie-related. Somewhat more specifically, the series takes place "before the movie and before certain people were iced." Look for the first issue on March 12.

mike.chauvet

Dark Horse passed on the Angel license, but I believe they did so years before Buffy Season 8 was announced. IDW had been putting out Angel comics for a few years by that point, and Whedon liked them enough to work on Angel Season 5 with them.

Dark Horse would either have had to buy the Angel rights from IDW for a ton or wait out the contract, which would have taken years.

February 14 2008 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mike.chauvet's comment
Argus

I seem to recall that IDW getting Angel had more to do with Whedon than any move by Dark Horse. In the "Slay the Critics" letter pages Whedon acknowledges his mistake in giving it to IDW rather than Dark Horse.

February 14 2008 at 10:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Love the Buffy. Angel is pretty good, but the drawing style makes half the characters unrecognizable. Not good, given how the character reveals are going in the plot.

February 14 2008 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jennifer's comment
Argus

Are you kidding me? The art in Angel is FAR superior than the nondescript Buffy stuff. If you saw an in-comic picture of Buffy completely out of context there is no way she would be identifiable unless you have already seen the way Jeanty draws her. In my mind the story is far superior in Angel as well, especially since Buffy's story seems relatively obvious.

February 14 2008 at 6:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

I'm not a fan of Serenity with the TV show. Both separate are good, but as one story I don't like what they changed for the movie.

I also have never got the comic, but I think all new Firefly has to be called Serenity because Fox still owns the Firefly rights.

February 14 2008 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Oreo's comment
Akbar Fazil

See Oreo, we can agree on something.

I absolutely hated Serenity for the fact alone of the changes/differences to the show.

February 14 2008 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Mark this day everyone, world peace is possible.

Akbar and I agree with something. I hate the movie for the changes too. They were supposedly having a hard time finding work, yet they have a hover car? Then Mal and the Doctor HATED each other, it all felt weird.

However it was a nicely done sci-fi movie that didn't end the same way a lot of blah sci-fi movies do.

February 14 2008 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shaun

I love the Buffy comics so far but I really feel that the Angel comic is garbage. The writing is nothing like what we get with Buffy. It's choppy and poorly done, the dialogue and characterization is so off. It's like there JUST enough of them left to call it Angel but it just seems like the writing went to Hell along with L.A. I figure I'll finish out the firs major arc before giving up, but I really can't see it getting any better.

February 14 2008 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Hope the Serenity comic is better than the movie tie in comic that was supposed to bridge the series and film. Man was that a terribly written piece of crap.

February 14 2008 at 3:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply