November 29, 2014

V: The Second Generation, the book and TV movie?

by Brad Trechak, posted Feb 14th 2008 2:04PM
V: The Second GenerationAint It Cool posted an interview with Kenneth Johnson, the creator and writer of the V television mini-series from 1983. He has recently released a sequel book called V: The Second Generation (available on Amazon here).

The most interesting facts to come out of the conversation with Johnson is that in his novel he ignores the sequel mini-series V: The Final Battle and the short-lived V television series that came afterward.

I remember watching and being terrified as a kid from the original V mini-series (think of the Nazi takeover of Germany, except with aliens). Johnson left NBC before the sequel came around and, to make an understatement, the sequel strayed from his vision. The book more represents what his original vision of the continued V story would be like. It takes place twenty or so years after the original.

According to IMDB, a television mini-series version of the book is in the works. Based on the interview, I think we may even see Marc Singer reprise his greatest role since The Beastmaster. Fingers crossed.

Cold Chilli

I want to see the Freddy version of Willy

February 18 2008 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

The first mini series was fantastic. The sequel mini was pretty good, though the ending was a little lame. The weekly series was God awful.

I hope this new project moves forward. Since it takes place 20 years after the original, they could pretty much use the surviving original cast. It would be interesting to see Robert Englund reprise his Willy role.

February 14 2008 at 11:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I remember being so drugged up in the hospital after having my appendix out that I couldn't even follow the show, but I watched it anyway because it was cool

February 14 2008 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

The scene in the original where the alien gets his forearm frozen solid and broken off caused me to lose a few hours of sleep. Developed a small case of limb phobia after that.

February 14 2008 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ronan

Was Michael Ironside in the first serie, or only in the sequels?

He was my favorite character as a kid. I'd love to see him return.

February 14 2008 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ronan's comment
Preach

Ham Tyler was introduced in "V: The Final Battle", so he'll (unfortunately) not be in "V: The Second Generation".

A shame, he was my favorite character in the franchise...

February 14 2008 at 9:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MerJim

I'm going to DVR this, on all 17 of my TV's. Then I will watch this repeatably for 21 days. Upon completion I will take my favorite scene and have the image burned into my iris so I can enjoy it for ever!

February 14 2008 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

I have no idea WHAT my parents were thinking when they let me watch this in '83... I was 7! Still gives me chills... but I was so messmorized by it...

THIS would be cool if it came off right.

February 14 2008 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
boxlight

> think of the Nazi takeover of Germany

More like Nazi Germany invading France.

I was terrified when that brunette chick swallowed that guinea pig whole. Gave me nightmares as a little kid.

February 14 2008 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
popbuzz

I actually loved V, have all the books, comics and as much as I could find on DVD. A great mini-series for its time. The idea of continuing it the way Johnson wanted sounds cool. I have this book on order and can't wait to get it and see what's going on. I always wanted a continuation.

February 14 2008 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sludgehound

Thanks for info. Also loved original V.
Not so the sequel. And Beastmaster was