November 1, 2014

Update - CBS renews a slew of shows

by Allison Waldman, posted Feb 15th 2008 4:20PM
bigbangFans of the Tiffany network can do the happy dance. CBS has renewed 11 scripted shows for the 2008-2009 TV season. The lucky 11 are: CSI; CSI: Miami; CSI: New York; NCIS; Criminal Minds; Cold Case; Without a Trace; Ghost Whisperer; Numb3rs; Two and a Half Men; and The Big Bang Theory.

There are not a lot of surprises in this bunch, although it's great news that The Big Bang Theory, CBS's rookie Monday-night sitcom from Chuck Lorre's stable, made the cut. Still in limbo, however, are three other Monday-night comedies from the network: How I Met Your Mother, Rules of Engagement, and The New Adventures of Old Christine. The story speculates that Mother will get the greenlight for a fourth season soon, but Rules and Christine seem to be in competition for the 9:30-10:00 half-hour slot.

Last season, Rules ruled, doing better in the Nielsens than Christine. Christine, which recently came back with original episodes and has been strong ratings-wise, albeit at a time when TV viewers are starved for fresh programming, needs to keep pace with Rules. CBS will likely hold off on choosing between Rules and Christine until after Rules returns in April with six new episodes.

On the drama side, CBS has ordered four new episodes of Shark for later this spring, but whether it's coming back in the fall is still undetermined. Moonlight, Cane and The Unit have already been shut down and may not be back as well.

Update: CBS has contacted TV Squad to report that Moonlight is scheduled to return in April with 4 new episodes.

chance6485

Please keep Shark on air - it is one of the best shows out there - I have not missed one episode. James Woods is fantastic and the team work well together. I'm up to my ears in "reality TV" and refuse to even turn the TV on except for Shark and a couple of other programs. KEEP SHARK ON THE AIR - IT'S A GREAT ACCESS TO YOUR STATION.

April 30 2008 at 12:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RJS

I rarely watch TV . Watching James Woods in Shark has brought me back. It's great . Very interesting and great writing. James Woods makes it. The writing makes it. It would be very disappointing not to renew

April 15 2008 at 10:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary Fischer

I am so glad to hear that Shark is coming back. I hope CBS picks it up again next season. I did like Cane and I watched The Unit from day one but I think Cane was getting stale even when the strike started and The Unit was still good but if I had to choose I like the freshness of Stark. After so long I think the story line just dead ends and the writers struggle to keep it going. Just concentrate on Shark for the time being .It's funny and I like the interaction the characters.

April 06 2008 at 10:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nancy

Love Moonlight and love Shark. Glad they are back in the spring and hope we'll see them in the fall.

April 01 2008 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doc

Without THE UNIT, CBS is FUBAR.

March 31 2008 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonathan

It's a shock that the best show on CBS, Shark with James Woods, isn't a shoe-in for a third season. CBS bragged during Shark's first season that it was the season's top drama (http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-cbssharkfullseason,0,6569957.story), and although the writers' strike did affect this newer show, it will bounce back. No other show has the brains, the talent, and the entertainment that Shark gives to its viewers. Excellent writers, astonishing actors, and a fresh portrayal of legal dramas. CBS: bring back Shark for a third season!

March 29 2008 at 7:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda Contreras

I can't understand why Cane would have been considered to be cancelled. It is by far one of the best shows on TV.
It would be a big mistake.

March 26 2008 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joan

when is cane coming back? I love Jimmy Smits.

March 23 2008 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LINDA

SHARK, SHARK, SHARK
THE BEST FAST PACED, QUICK WIT, SNAPPY ONE LINERS WITH A PLOT DRAMS SHOW ON TV.
HIMYM IS NOTHING WITHOUT BARNEY. JUST GIVE HIM A SHOW!

February 27 2008 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tired_

I have just one thing to say about this.

Nuts!