July 23, 2014

Nip/Tuck: Candy Richards (mid-season finale)

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Feb 20th 2008 9:44AM

Julian McMahon and Dylan Walsh
(S05E14) "I pretend to do the thing I actually do and suddenly I'm cool." - Sean

Going into this episode, I was really expecting it to be just be so-so. With the trend of so many other shows being cut short because of the WGA strike, I just assumed Nip/Tuck would fall victim as well. Not the case. Even if this season's full order of 22 episodes had been met, this installment was still clearly meant to be a mid-season finale. There's no way an ending like that gets a new episode the very next week. It worked here as the season ender and it worked well.

This entire season, with the McNamara/Troy move to Hollywood, the theme of celebrity has sort of been toyed with. Every week has essentially built up to this episode, the moment when it all comes crashing down. The moment when Sean and Christian both finally realized that their quest for stardom is actually ruining their lives. Of course, as everyone knows, by the time you finally make it to that conclusion, it's usually too late.

Think about it. If Sean had never taken the role on Hearts n' Scalpels, then Eden never would have developed a crazy schoolgirl crush on him. She never would have seen Julia as a leech on Sean's life and probably would have never started poisoning her in the first place. She wouldn't have shot Julia and Julia wouldn't have had retrograde amnesia. If it wasn't for the poisoning, Julia probably would have gone back to NYC by then.

If Sean had never taken the role on Hearts n' Scalpels, he wouldn't have earned his own paparazzi fan club and Christian and Annie wouldn't have gotten into a car accident. And most importantly, the episode wouldn't have ended the way it did. I'll come back to that.

If Sean had never taken the role on Hearts n' Scalpels, Christian would have never become so jealous of his partner's new found fame. He would have never done the Playgirl spread and he would have never met Darlene and his daughter, Emmy. Matt would have never slept with his half-sister.

Now based on the previews, we knew a tragedy was coming and I thought the writers did a good job of layering it. At first, we thought it was Julia. Then, we thought it was Annie and Christian. By the time the ending arrived, I had considered the possibility of what happened, but by then thought it was too late. It wasn't.

If Sean had never taken the role on Hearts n' Scalpels, he would never have met Colleen Rose, his crazy fan. If Sean had never taken the role on Hearts n' Scalpels, he wouldn't be lying in a pool of his own blood with multiple stab wounds, as his daughter lay unconscious on the operating table. You knew Colleen would be back.

Now I have questions...

• What did Colleen do with Bob's body before she hid him in Sean's closet? It's been a few weeks and the body didn't look like it had decomposed at all.
  • Did Colleen stab Liz too?
  • What did Eden tell Olivia before going to the hospital? I'm guessing she told her mother the truth and Olivia chose to keep her mouth shut once Julia's condition was discovered.
  • Christian will obviously call 911 once he finds everyone, but is he going to be able to do enough in the meantime with only one arm? Did Colleen stab him too maybe?
  • I'm not sure if it means anything, but do you think that maybe Matt got Emmy pregnant? I only ask because Matt was her first, and Darlene made a point of saying that Christian was her first and he got her pregnant.

The rest of the episode was pretty standard tongue-in-cheek Nip/Tuck fare. The return of Jennifer Coolidge as Candy Richards was great and I loved how her delusions of celebrity were juxtaposed against Sean's very real fame. The Christian/Darlene sex was hilarious too. It was one of those moments where you felt bad for laughing, but you laughed regardless. How could you not, seeing her diabetic foot stumps flail in the air as he screwed her? And I loved the part when Christian had to tell Matt that he can't sleep with his sister anymore. The look on Christian's face was priceless.

The other thing I wanted to mention was Dirt. I had talked about it before, but this would have been the perfect episode for these two shows to cross-over. Dirt's season one ratings were only mediocre and it would have been great for FX to merge the Nip/Tuck finale and the Dirt season premiere together. Anyway, just a thought.

So there are technically eight episodes left this season, but it looks like they'll be billed as a new season six since these most recent 14 episodes are coming out on DVD on May 20th and the set isn't called "season five, part one." If the show goes right back into production, we'll probably see the show return around this time next year assuming FX sticks to its schedule of airing The Riches, The Shield, and Rescue Me before it. In the meantime, for those looking for a new FX fix, Dirt returns with seven episodes starting on Sunday, March 2nd.

Which moment shocked you the most?
Julia being diagnosed with amnesia70 (4.8%)
Christian and Annie getting into a car accident245 (16.8%)
Colleen stabbing Sean1143 (78.4%)

nicole

So is the season over now? I counted down this past week to see what happened to Christian! I was so disappointed and kinda shocked when I realized it wasn't on tonight. Are they going to continue the remaining episodes, or are we in for a big wait?

I do think that Olivia and Eden had something to do with the amnesia. It was just too subtle that they were at the hospital with her together after Eden told Olivia that they needed to talk. And then it went to a commercial....that's always a sign of slight importance.

As for the pregnancy, yes Christian gave her a morning after pill, but do we know for sure that she took it or if Matt even gave it to her? We just saw him ask for it (as far as I know).

I have to admit the show got off to a slow start...and I wasn't fond of the "reality episode", but they always hooked me in the final five minutes.

Guess I will have to occupy my time with Dirt. I'm not completely excited about it, although "Don" is an AMAZING actor to pull of his part so well. I am looking forward to The Riches! Absolutely award-winning acting from Minnie Driver...and the rest of the cast too, but she is fantastic. The story line is so brilliant...funny, dramatic, and so metaphorical! Can't wait to see them take over the Real-Estate world!

:) Any answers about nip/tuck would be greatly appreciated!

February 26 2008 at 11:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nicole

Guess I will have to occupy my time with Dirt. I'm not completely excited about it, although "Don" is an AMAZING actor to pull of his part so well. I am looking forward to The Riches! Absolutely award-winning acting from Winnie Driver...and the rest of the cast too, but she is fantastic. The story line is so brilliant...funny, dramatic, and so metaphorical! Can't wait to see them take over the Real-Estate world!

:) Any answers about nip/tuck would be greatly appreciated!

February 26 2008 at 11:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kate

Like the others above, I also thought Julia's amnesia was too convenient. Why did Sean tell Julia they were still married? It didn't benefit Julia and I see no benefit for Sean. Plus, Olivia's obviously going to have a problem with that. Wouldn't Olivia have told her they were a couple when Julia first asked who she was?

I always thought that Eden hated Julia for her relationship with her Olivia and especially when she started the affair with Christian. Has Eden ever said her hatred of Julia had to do with Julia's relationship with Sean?

What's happening with Julia's mercury poisoning? Will she get better now that Eden's not poisoning her anymore? Or does she need to take medication? I assume Eden already destroyed all the evidence.

So many questions!!!

February 21 2008 at 11:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to kate's comment
ladyangst

Regarding the pregnancy question, remember that Matt called Christian last week and asked for a morning after pill.

February 21 2008 at 11:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

Does it say something that I didn't really care when the car accident happened and when Sean was stabbed? I'll watch the show when it comes back because I'm loyal like that, but I hope they figure out how to make it interesting again.

February 21 2008 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tfizzle

And the music is also great. when you are watching the dvd's listen to the songs they play, and think about what is going on in the show. It is the perfect song to play at the moment every time.

February 20 2008 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tfizzle

How can you say that this show is horrible??
This show is f**king brilliant. There has never been a show in the history of television that has pushed the envelope more bye bringing preverse and violent themes and photography with completely twisted and complex plots. The plots are rediculious, and The writer is amazing to say the least. Every event in the show and every object is connected is some way. I don't like any TV except for comedies, and I have very high standards and expectations, and this show has blown me away with every single episode for the last five seasons.
My attention is exclusively directed towards the television after 9:59 on Tuesday nights.

February 20 2008 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Caroline

WHAT are you guys talking about? I've been a fan since the first season and I actually think this has been the best season (though it had been cut short). In every episode I've genuinely laughed, been seriously suprised and the new characters have been intriguing, not to mention the plot lines just as controversial as always. Plus that scene at the end last night of Sean's mouth filling up with blood all the while with "Fame" playing in the background will stick with me for a while, it was so chilling.

February 20 2008 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Caroline's comment
Karin

I agree I have loved the show since it started. Then when I turned on the TV and saw Nip Tuck on I was glued to the TV Well tonight how come it wasnt on :( I dont watch much tv but then I came on the internet to c why then I found this site. :)

May 09 2008 at 11:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela

Poor. Very poor. Don't think I'll be extending N/T's contract on my DVR next season. The show is horrible.

February 20 2008 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rmpr

I think julia is pretennding to have amnesia because when eden told olivia the truth olivia got so scared that she threatened julia to say she has amnesia and doesnt remember anything. I knew colleen was coming it was just soo obvious... although i never thouhgt she would stab sean, i thouhgt maybe she would kidnap everyone in the bulding or something.. Great season finale can't wait for next season

February 20 2008 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rmpr's comment
tv junkie

that's my thought too! but it was really sad to see her ignoring poor annie though.
also, i agree the last twist was one too many, although great shock value, it was a bit predictable...and gosh, the security at their office has always been unbelievably poor, even when everyone in town knows there's a crazy Colleen out there haunting Sean.
is FX gonna order more episodes to fill up the now shortened 8-episode sixth season? (since this was supposed to be a supersized season.)

February 20 2008 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ryanrobot

We were just talking about the finale here in the office and a co-worker brought up an interesting insight that I didn't catch...

If you remember... in the "reality show" episode - Olivia used her acupuncture talents to sedate a patient that didn't want to use anesthesia... Is it possible she used her acupuncture talent to induce the amnesia Julia has when she wakes up?

Notice how Olivia beat everyone else to the hospital? Eden may have told her mother about poisoning Julia, and to protect her she could have induced the amnesia... preventing Julia from identifying Eden as the shooter.

It certainly fits within the twisted story-lines that NipTuck is known for...

What do you think?