August 23, 2014

Boycott Dexter, says the Parents TV Council

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 21st 2008 3:01PM

DexterFor a group that has the word "television" in their name, they sure do seem to have a lot of problems with it.

The Parents Television Council is calling for advertisers to boycott Dexter, saying that CBS didn't do enough editing of the show when they broadcast the Showtime drama on its own network last Sunday night. The PTC says that CBS broke their promise when they said they were going to edit the show to network standards and that "depictions of violence were barely altered from the Showtime network original format."

I didn't see it, so I guess I have to ask hardcore fans who watched both the original Showtime episode and the episode that CBS put on. Were they different? Was there a lot of editing done or was it just superficial? Was there blood and violence in the CBS version as the PTC says?

The advertisers on that first episode were Burger King, Macy's, Capitol One, movie studios, and others. I have to say, even though I didn't see the episode, I'm sure that creepy Burger King spokesman is probably more scary and off-putting than anything that you could see on Dexter. At least Dexter talks and has facial muscles that move.

[via TV Tattle]

marie haven

Daniel Cerone was actually the Executive Producer (not co-executive producer) of Dexter, when he left the show to run Dirty Sexy Money. I know... I'm a stickler for facts. Would love to see if he can bring that magic over from Dexter to DSM.

March 04 2008 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josee

You hard-core Dexter fans need to change your minds:

Edited for kids.... What? I don't even want this show to be available to adults!!!!
All of you dilletantes (i.e. have not given serious thought) who are in strong favor of the this serial killer show are just too blind or irresponsible to realize that what you watch says much of who you are. You adults, WAKE UP ! Hell is right here amongst you. On the other side of life (where we continue to exist after we die) you won't enjoy serial killer shows in the security of your homes. You will be suffering the consequences of your choice in hell.... sorry for all of you who choose to continue liking these "death choices". Change your mentality....
Oh, and those of you who are so upset because I dare talk about hell, which is reality, you will see, well, why do you favor the violence in a serial killer show????
WAKE UP! You are morally crippling and on your way to ruin. You, my friend, willingly choose to participate (yes, even if it is a show, you are morally bounded because you give your consent to the content) in murders, lies, etc....
"Love God with all your might" & "Love your neighbor as yourself"

March 03 2008 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A.S

Allow me to indulge in the loudest eyeroll ever.

February 22 2008 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
L.

Let's be honest, anyone who would boycott a show because the Parents Television Council told them to is not really in the target audience for a show about a serial killer who only kills serial killers. You've got to view their position as what it is: an attempt to boost their profile and bolster support amongst people who already agree with them. They're not going to change the minds of anyone who's intrigued by the premise of the show.

"Hmm, this show about a guy who kills serial killers seems like it's based on an interesting concept, maybe I'll watch it. Wait, what?!? The PTC says to boycott it? Can't watch it now. *click*"

February 22 2008 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

I agree with you, Bob. That big-headed Burger King guy and the dudes with Wendy's hair freak me out more than a serial murderer ever could.

How exactly would a series about a murderer be made family friendly?

If the PTC wants to put out a list of what they feel is family friendly and what isn't, then fine. If they manage to get the FCC to act, then it is something to worry about.

February 22 2008 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lotide

Thanks lenny. while i am not a person of religion, i feel that as a people we(as people who believe in different ideals) must find our common ground and unite against people that may repress our abilities or thought processes. I do not agree with religion or religious beliefs, but i respect others right to believe and wish they'd respect my right not to. Applying that thought to our discussion, these organizations need to respect our ability to watch programming (late at night i might add) that may not fit the ideal lineup for people who don't want to see that kind of thing.

February 22 2008 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lotide

I think we(America) need to have a zero-tolerance policy for groups with zero-tolerance policies... what i mean by this is groups like this parents television organization should be screening what their kids watch instead of making sure the networks can't air amazing shows like "dexter" or making sure they edit every time a character says "god damn".
The right to artistic freedom needs to be paramount in this case and it needs to be left up to the parent to shield their child from what they may consider unacceptable. Maybe the networks should start a "be a parent to your child" organization to persecute these watchdog groups that want to press their christian morality on the rest of us...

February 21 2008 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lotide's comment
erroneous_nick

Agreed! Zero tolerance policies are nothing more than zero-thought policies. It is time for these groups to dry up and go away, and it's time for parents to be parents. If someone lets their children watch a show like Dexter, CSI, etc. it's not the job of a group like the PTC to jump on CBS. What needs to happen if that's the case is for someone to jump on the idiot who lets their child watch an adult show.

I have "Christian morals", but I'm not about to push them on someone else or take away another free person's right to watch whatever the hell they want. We have enough channels for every person with every taste, so these PTC idiots just need to learn how to use the remote.

Oh, and I should add that this Christian absolutely *LOVES* Dexter (and CSI and Weeds and so on...) and I don't watch it with my kids!

February 21 2008 at 10:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scooter

I didn't actually see the CBS version of Dexter, but I loved the Shotime version and I didn't think they had as much blood as was promised in the previews. That being the case, CBS had nowhere to go but less. Anyway, that's my two cents, take it for what it's worth. Kevin

February 21 2008 at 7:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kickit

After all the edits and cuts they did, I"d have to say that CSI is much more graphic/violent/bloody than that first episode they aired of Dexter. I don't know what the Parents Television Council are talking about. If they are boycotting this cleaner-than-CSI Dexter episode, I'm kind of wondering why they haven't yet boycotted CSI, CSI: Miami, CSI: NY, even House and Bones! All those are much more graphic than anything that was seen in the edited version of Dexter. How bout that house episode a few years back when the guys eye popped out then his testacles exploded? They didn't have a problem with THAT? but this they have a problem with? HAH.

February 21 2008 at 6:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

What they should do if whach the kids channel and boycott a lot of show that I think the kids should not wach, they are full of bad words and bad messages ( Exp: Zoey 101 she is pregnat and all the kids know about this '' WHAT A MESSEGE''.
Dexter is for adults only.

February 21 2008 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply