September 2, 2014

CBS adds TV classics to web line up

by Allison Waldman, posted Feb 21st 2008 6:01PM
Captain KirkRecently, TV Squad reported that NBC has added all kinds of classic TV shows to their online outlets. Now comes the announcement that CBS is also bringing a variety of well-loved TV dramas to the web. CBS Interactive is raiding the CBS Library, which is "one of the largest television programming libraries in the entertainment business," to present TV series online across the CBS Audience Network.

Like the NBC fodder, the CBS offering is gangbusters: full-length episodes of classic Star Trek, Rod Serling's The Twilight Zone, MacGyver, Hawaii Five-O and Melrose Place. CBS plans to add more programs and clips in the coming months, including sports and other kinds of entertainment.

For Trekkies, all three seasons for ST will be shown, all 79 episodes -- including City on the Edge of Forever and Spock's Brain! For The Twilight Zone, seasons one and two will be the initial offering. Season one of MacGyver, Hawaii Five-O and Melrose Place, as well.

The TV shows are available online right now, without a fee (although you will have to watch an ad or two). The CBS Audience Network is comprised of 300 web sites, including partners such as AOL, Microsoft, CNET Networks, Comcast, Joost, Bebo, Netvibes, Sling Media and Veoh and social application partners including Automattic, Brightcove, Clearspring, DAVE Networks, Goowy Media, meebo, MeeVee, Musestorm, Ning, RockYou!, Slide, VideoEgg, Voxant and vSocial as well as Web sites from CBS's owned television, radio, and affiliated stations.

Galley

If they allowed me to stream all of this content to my Apple TV, then that would be another story. I'd even be fine with a few commercials now and then.

February 22 2008 at 9:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morjana Coffman

CBS owns Paramount Television -- which has the rights to Star Trek and Macgyver, as Star Trek was first produced by DesiLu Studios, which sold its rights to Paramount, and MacGyver was a Paramount property, that aired on ABC.

Morjana

February 21 2008 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

I've had a dedicated PC connected to my TV for several years. It's like BC said, most PCs and Macs (recently, it's more like *all* PCs and Macs) have the ability, but that's not the problem. It's the lack of full-screen and/or low resolution video that makes it undesirable.

On the bright side, at least the networks are waking up to the concept of getting a clue. It'll only get better.

February 21 2008 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevinc

Wasn't MacGyver on ABC???

February 21 2008 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kevinc's comment
erroneous_nick

I don't know what network MacGyver was on, but I do know that Star Trek was on NBC, not CBS. I guess it has to do with who currently owns the rights to each series and not who originally broadcast it.

February 21 2008 at 10:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy

I agree with the last post.I really dont like watching Tv Stuff on my PC.Alot of the times you can get picture in Fullscreen,and if you can it loses its quality.Anyone know a simple way of connecting PC to TV.

February 21 2008 at 8:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Andy's comment
Bravo

Most of the HDTVs have a VGA input now. That's the easiest and highest quality method I've found.

February 21 2008 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

Most PCs from the last several years and just about every Mac in the last 10 years can be connected to a TV quite easily. Now, if you have a full-size desktop, you probably don't want to move it. But the biggest problem is that many of the network streaming sites don't have genuine full-screen capability and offer resolution roughly equivalent to VHS, so you probably won't like watching it on a TV, especially a modern large-screen.

February 21 2008 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
johngaltx

Until they can get their very large library EASILY from my PC to my TV it is only going to be a novelty item. I do not enjoy sitting in front of my computer watching television shows regardless of how great they might be.

February 21 2008 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply