November 26, 2014

Jesse L. Martin leaving Law and Order

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 21st 2008 9:00AM

Jesss L. MartinBad news for fans of both Jesse L. Martin and Law and Order: the star is leaving the NBC show.

Reports say that Martin will film one more episode of the NBC show before leaving. He had originally signed to do 13 episodes this season but the writers strike interrupted those plans. He will be written off the show, but there's no word yet on exactly what that means (quitting the force, getting killed off, abducted by aliens, whatever).

And if you're thinking about auditioning for a role on the show, you're out of luck: they've already found a replacement.

This is good news for the star of another show that was recently canceled (well, probably) by FOX. Anthony Anderson, one of the co-stars of K-Ville, is going to replace Martin. He will take over for the remaining episodes that will air later this season. The show returns on April 23.

Soly

I can't believe my Jessie is leaving. I met him a few years ago while filming Law & Order on Broadway. He was as sweet as I imagined him to be. He gave me his autograph and smiled in that way that makes you melt!
Sorry to see you go, can't wait to see where you're going to be. No matter what it is I'll be there to watch

April 23 2008 at 11:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sblack4558

I really loved Jesse L Martin on this show. I am so sorry that he's leaving. He brought a lot o the role just as Ben Bratt did.

April 19 2008 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tess

No, No, NO. I couldn't place Anthony Anderson, so I pulled him up. I'm sorry -- I'm sure he's a great guy and a good actor, but just NOT a good match AT ALL for the Law & Order team. I love Law & Order, but I remember this guy from SVU, and he just was not a good fit on that show, and will not be on Law & Order, ESPECIALLY if he is going to carry over his persona from SVU. Michael Imperioli fit in well while he was on the show. It's bad enough losing such a great character/actor as Jesse Martin; but filling his space with someone that is real hard for the audience to warm up to, will be jumping the shark.....

April 16 2008 at 9:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tess

Jesse Martin is THE best on Law & Order. Say it aint so that he's leaving. He better not be killed off is all I can say about that. Does this mean he will be in the bio of Marvin Gaye? He has such a great singing voice.

April 16 2008 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
donovan

Jesse Martin is the only reason I could hang on after last year which was deplorable due to Jesse's partner. Sisco is excellent as others have said but the chemistry between Sisco and MArtin is also part of the success of the partnership. As many have said before me, I wish Jesse Martin all the best. He is truly a fine actor and need not be cast in one role for a lifetime. I will be looking for him in another role sooner than later I hope.

April 16 2008 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anthony

I really don't like the new cast. I would like Fred Thompson to come back to his D.A. spot with Sam Waterston returning to Asst. D.A. As far as a replacement for Martin I would like to see Michael Imperioli who has appeared partnered with Denis Farina at times be teamed with Lupo. Waterston is way to talented of an actor for this limited role. I've worked with Linus Roache on an up and coming movie "Yonkers Joe" with Chazz Palminteri but am not a big fan of him on Law & Order. Thanks! SAG Actor in Las Vegas

April 10 2008 at 5:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shelley

I like Jesse L Martin, I think he is a really good actor, and I will be sad to see him go. I am glad they got rid of the female counterpart, she was not sharp and she seemed to be a little dull in her part.
Anthony Anderson will add an edge to the show, he did a guest shot on Law and Order SVU when he and Stabler got in a fight.
I like Anthony Anderson, i think he will make a good replacement, but then it doesn't matter who replaces who on the show I am an Avid Fan and will always watch the Law and Order Series.

April 05 2008 at 10:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roscoe

I am going to miss Jesse Martin. Good Luck to him. Law and Order had so many re-runs and that was discouraging. I have always liked L&W but not seeing the same shows over and over.

April 03 2008 at 11:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wanda Lewis

I am outraged that Jesse L. Martin is being replaced. He is great and his character is very believable. I really do not like the selection of some of the new people they have added on the Law and Order series. Why are you messing up a good thing? I've never heard of Anthony Anderson. You've really disappointed me.

wandalew@yahoo.com

April 03 2008 at 8:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
diane millan

oh my gosh, i can't believe, I love Jesse on this show. Actually I am quite upset. |Why does he need to be replaced? |He does a great job. And I have no idea who this other guy is. For me he will not be able to replace Jesse. I am going to see and keep track of the ratings. I wonder if this is going to make a huge difference.

April 03 2008 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply