October 22, 2014

Jericho cast and crew go to convention, but fans don't

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 22nd 2008 10:56AM

Jericho logoJericho fans, it might be time to grab your nuts again.

Last weekend, Jericho fans got a special treat at the Los Angeles Comic Book and Science Fiction Convention: a stage filled with the cast and creators of the CBS drama. The only problem? Not many fans showed up at all.

The Showtracker blog at The Los Angeles Times says that this might be because the show is neither sci-fi nor comic book-ish, but I don't know if that's a good enough excuse. It has a certain mystery/action element to it, and the first season was certainly enigmatic in a sci-fi sort of way. And plus we're talking about Los Angeles here, not a small town in Ohio, so I would think a lot more people would have showed up than did. Executive Producer Jon Turteltaub joked about the 80 fans in attendance making the ratings jump, but I don't know if that was a funny estimate by him or an accurate number.

This is really unfortunate. I don't know if you've ever seen Jericho, but it's quite a good little drama. I'd take it over 12 CSIs or another Law and Order any day. I'm just wondering how long CBS can justify keeping the show around (last week's episode was down one million viewers from the season opener), unless they really care about people who Tivo the show and/or view it online.

Is it the time slot it's in now (10pm)? Is it the show itself? Is it just the fact that networks have to start getting used to the fact that some shows just don't get mega numbers but are still worth keeping around because the fan base is loyal and they'll watch it in some way?

ShellyT

It's not sci-fi, that's probably why sci-fi geeks didn't know what it was. It's speculative fiction, future fiction, but it's not sci-fi and it's not fantasy. It's more like Lost, but it's more down to earth than that. They should go to another type of convention maybe, though what I don't know. I have been advertising this show where ever I can because I LOVE it, but it's hard to describe. I try to describe it as what we are about 4 steps away from in the U.S. and the conspiracy people seem to get that. Maybe have the cast appear at the next Homeland Security/NSA convention. CBS has to give this show time and make many many more episodes before they give up on it.

March 28 2008 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

Geez, now I wish I lived in L.A. and I had known about this convention...

Keep rooting for Season 3!

March 12 2008 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scarlet

I find this show action packed, great concept with the new civil war Love the characters I wait for tuesdays even though it is on so late. it's almost as if cbs brought it back to make it crash again 1st a whole season has to be done in only 7 episodes(that's a lot of story in one show at the same time we miss part of the charm season 1 had) then they put it on so late and we know most people watch it ondemand ,tivo/dvr, or watch online then they do live tv I dvr everything which doesn't matter anyway since i am not a neilson home I am not counted. also the several people i hooked on this show are not counted either. along with the many poeple I know who watch. WhEW! that was alot i know but I LOVE JERICHO some say obssesd pleaase don't cancel jericho again I love cbs day and night but i'll have to block the channel forever if you break my heart again!

February 28 2008 at 12:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth

I really thought the first season was interesting, I think Jerico needs to step it up a notch for this next season to really captivate the audiences I'm willing to stick in there to see what happens, it has potential.

February 27 2008 at 1:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Insert Name

I would have gone if I had known about it. I love Jericho!

February 24 2008 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Sure gets a lot of responses for a show "no one watches."

I watch it...it is good, the show isn't about cops or lawyers or bimbos, thank god.

February 24 2008 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

It does suprise me that people aren't liking the new episodes. Someone upthread said it was moving too fast, but I think the pacing is great. Things are really happening. Last week's show was intense. About the complaint that people are never really in danger, what about the season finale? People died then. And then the complaints that a certain someone died, no longer on the show: you can't have it both ways. I just find it incredible that people say it poorly written, etc. Maybe I' not in the demographic that advertisers want, but I have money to spend too.

I would have gone to the convo, but I live 3000 miles from LA. I don't really blame people for not wanting to start watching now, as it's likely we will get the 7 episodes and that's it. But we will lose another quality show if it's cancelled.

February 24 2008 at 6:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

I watch Jericho and sci-fi shows (like Battlestar), and even I would say Jericho is not sci-fi and, therefore, would not get much notice at a sci-fi con. Most of the people who like Jericho reside in the Midwest and are an older demographic, I'm guessing. Unfortunately, this kind of audience might not be appealing to CBS and its advertisers.

February 23 2008 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann

I LOVE JERICHO!
It's different and so exciting.
Jake is a hot ass and Lennie is a bad ass....
what more do you want??
Well, I would have preferred they had kept GERALD MCRANEY, but I think HE wanted out.
Too bad......

PLEASE GIVE US A SEASON 3 OF JERICHO!!!

February 23 2008 at 5:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ann's comment
Insert Name

If you want to see a season 3, you can do that by emailing CBS at audsvcs@cbs.com after every episode and tell them you watched. This is the only way CBS can count the viewers who are not Nielsen Ratings households.

Catch special previews at www.cbs.com/nuts
login: rangers password: jerichonuts

February 24 2008 at 8:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

I LOVE Jericho. No, it isn't Dexter but then, it isn't supposed to be Dexter. I'm going to be disappointed if they take it off and even though I used to love CSI, I just can't stomach it any more. Something different...that's Jericho.

February 22 2008 at 8:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply