September 30, 2014

Rufus Sewell cast in new Bruckheimer pilot

by Allison Waldman, posted Feb 22nd 2008 2:24PM
Rufus SewellNobody would ever confuse Rufus Sewell for Patrick Stewart (Star Trek: The Next Generation), right? Well, super-producer Jerry Bruckheimer has chosen Sewell for the lead in the $4 million pilot of the British drama series Eleventh Hour. Presumably, Rufus will be playing the same role Patrick played, that is Professor Ian Hood, Special Advisor to the government's Joint Sciences Committee, enlisted to tackle all kinds of dangerous threats stemming from science gone awry.

CBS greenlit the production last September, no doubt based on the network's track record of success with Bruckheimer. Currently, JB is producing The Amazing Race, CSI, CSI: Miami, CSI: New York, Cold Case and Without a Trace on CBS.

Eleventh Hour was a hit in England, but was not without controversy. Stephen Gallagher, who'd written for Doctor Who, intended for this series to be based on science fact, not science fiction. When the producers altered his scripts early in production, contrary to Gallagher's wishes, he bolted. Despite his exit, the ITV show had a successful run.

Insert Name

Yeah, I'll probably watch it too. I love Patrick Stewart...oh wait...he's not in this one, nevermind.

March 07 2008 at 11:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

"When the producers altered his scripts early in production" - OK, that makes sense. I liked the show. Although it was considered pretty big budget for the BBC (or so I read), it didn't make sense to me when a lot of the 'science' or the 'math' catalyzing various events seemed way too simplistic (the formula to predict global warming was a hs calc derivative) - I like Rufus Sewell and I loved the basic idea of the show, so I'll probably watch it -

February 22 2008 at 10:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj green

I loved the show on BBCA. Patrick Stewart was very good. I'm sure that if it is coming to this country, it will not be as good.

February 22 2008 at 7:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

Some of these comments are a lot like the things said about the new Battlestar Galactica when that project was announced. I'm guilty of saying some of them. I think I'll give this project the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best. It's probably a long shot, but it's worth looking at before condemning it.

February 22 2008 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JBCheese

this show sucked. why are they making an American version?

February 22 2008 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Insert Name

If Patrick Stewart was going to be in it, this would be worth a look. Jerry Bruckheimer can take his 4 million and stick it.

February 22 2008 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dj

don't forget that on the BBC sereies, Patrick Stewart's "bodyguard" was played by the amazing Ashley Jensen from "Extras" and "Ugly Betty".

February 22 2008 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Avi

Oh well, I was hoping Patrick Stewart might have been convinced to return to the roll.

February 22 2008 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Given JB's amazingly bad record (in quality, which unfortunately has not corresponded to viewership), I'm certainly not expecting much.

I'm expecting "National Treasure: Bad Science". I think I'll sit this one out.

February 22 2008 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Cool. I really like Rufus Sewell and I'm surprised he hasn't become a bigger star. I know that partly has to do with his "choosiness" concerning roles. He won't take just any old part in any movie. It's interesting that he's exploring the possibility of an American tv series (although it IS based on a brit show).

February 22 2008 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply