April 20, 2014

Tex Avery predicts the Television of Tomorrow (in 1953) - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 24th 2008 12:29PM

Philco TVI'm a sucker for cartoons of the 40s and 50s, whether it's Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, or those two squirrels that just wanted to have a nice life where everyone left them alone (their names escape me at the moment). I also like the great pseudo-documentary cartoons that you often saw, like the one after the jump.

It's Television From Tomorrow from MGM and Tex Avery. It shows what the typical household is going to look like in the future (the future meaning now - this was released in 1953). Specifically, it shows what the television of the future was going to look like. It's not serious, of course, but it's very clever and really fun. I like the big guns that pop out of the top of the television, and I think that complicated knob on the front of that one TV accurately predicts the complicated remote controls we have today. Oh, and the 4 out of 5 people who own TV sets? That could have been drawn today.

Can you guess who the narrator is?

[via Boing Boing Gadgets]

Brent McKee

Just imagine seeing that on the big movie screens of the 1950s.

February 26 2008 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cindy Gibson

Are you thinking of Chip and Dale? They are chipmunks
not squirels but I can't think of any others.
They are one of my favorites, right up- there with foghorn
leghorn and Bugs.

February 25 2008 at 7:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mr. G.

Very creative! And a little risqué, surprisingly so for that day and age.

February 24 2008 at 11:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

I believe Paul Free was the Narrator of this cartoon. He did many many voices for Animation. Most famous for me was Boris Badenov of Rocky & Bullwinkle fame. Also did many Wonderful World of Disney voice overs.

February 24 2008 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jeff N.'s comment
Jeff N.

That was Paul Frees not Paul Free. Sorry for the typo.

February 24 2008 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zach

This video taught me two things. Scottish people are cheap and you can shoot your friend in the forehead if he messes with your tv.

February 24 2008 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Zach's comment
Jim

Scots are thrifty, not cheap.

February 25 2008 at 6:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply