July 22, 2014

Las Vegas: the series that was

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Feb 26th 2008 7:33PM
Las Vegas"This place is cursed." - Danny McCoy during the Las Vegas season series finale.

Danny couldn't be more right. Over the years, Las Vegas switched timeslots so many times that I've lost counts. It also went through as many casino owners as timeslots! No matter, the show was an entertaining one. It's the type of show I enjoyed watching on Friday nights (or in most cases Saturday afternoon thanks to my old VCR) because of its lightness. I didn't have to think much while watching the gang try to catch the bad guys, Delinda put her foot in her mouth and Sam try to please her whales so they would lose big bucks on the tables.

A few days after a cliffhanger season finale, NBC decided that fans would have to do without the Montecito crew from now on; Las Vegas was canceled.

In mid-December, I wrote a midseason analysis of the show. Since then, my point of view on the show didn't change much. The last episodes of the series pretty much followed the usual Las Vegas format: a few bad players, Danny and Mike teaming up to save the day, Sam trying to help her whales, Delinda having to put out fires while trying to learn about life, a mysterious owner, and Mike trying to find love. Even the season finale had a recycled storyline that was featured in pretty much all season finales: the ownership of the casino/hotel up in the air.

But what changed to me is the use of new character Piper. Back in December, I raised concerns about the character saying that she didn't act much like a casino concierge and that she didn't have meaty storylines. That totally changed in the winter episodes. Not only did we finally get to see her as a concierge but she also got fair storylines that led to her and Mike getting married. I even found myself rooting for Mike and Piper!

The last episodes showed me a Las Vegas that was getting back on track after saying goodbye to two of its key players. We were finally getting to know more about Cooper (played by Tom Selleck) and Piper (played by Camille Guaty) was now part of the group. Even if some storylines were repetitive (then again, a lot of series recycle; just look at ER!), the show was still achieving what I wanted it to: light entertainment.

Sadly, fans will not be able to get closure. The series fell victim of the writers' strike. In an interview, creator Gary Scott Thompson admitted that the final episode was meant to be the first part of a two-parter and that they expected to be able to complete the three episodes left in the season. Thompson adds that they talked with NBC about a two-hour movie to wrap things up but that it's the network's decision ($$$). Since it's unlikely that we will get a proper ending be it on NBC, the web, or on DVD, I'll imagine that Danny and Delinda's baby is fine and that they become great parents and get married; that Mike and Piper have a fairytale ending; that Sam remains single and a casino host; that Cooper stays as the owner; and the the Delines patch things up and that Ed can see his grandkid without having to hide.

If you want to let NBC know that you are not happy with the show ending, you can take part in the Save Las Vegas campaign.

Should NBC bring back Las Vegas?
Yes, give it a 6th season.2499 (76.0%)
Yes, but only for a 2-hour movie to wrap things up.741 (22.6%)
No.46 (1.4%)

DeeD

I just finished watching the last part of Las Vegas re-runs and I fell in love with it. COME ON !!!! Bring it back. I love the whole crew.

January 24 2012 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
miiss_piixiie

who cancels a show with an ending like that dumbasses

September 08 2011 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SULLY

i would love to see las vegas come back to NBC , HOPE IT DOES!

September 08 2011 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary Pires

leave your comment on the NBC site to make a appropriate end to the series (movie or a special final episode because it will be almost impossible to carry out a new season)
nbc.com/Las_Vegas/episodes/

July 05 2011 at 6:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tommymomo

Once again NBC doesn't get it. this was fun, escape TV that appealed to the 20-40 age group. FYI NBC, check the TIVO/DVR top ten- this was consistantly ion the top 10 every week.
I guess it's time for another reality show for them.

February 28 2008 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Antonella

It is not right that Las Vegas is cancelled!

February 27 2008 at 6:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alison

I can't believe NBC would be so stupid as to axe this entertaining show, let alone on a cliffhanger!! I think us viewers who watched the show for 5 seasons deserve an ending at least even if it was not renewed for a 6th season. C'mon do the right this and give the cast and viewers closure.

February 27 2008 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

Note that NBC decided not to let Friday Night Lights finish their episodes for the 2nd season, so the audience was left wondering what was going to happen to many characters and if the team made the playoffs. Similar to Las Vegas. It's this disrespect for it's audiences that should be a dire warning to everyone about watching a scripted series on NBC. In two years the Network will have the 3 Law & Order shows and the rest will be bad reality shows and game shows. They are pretty close to that already.

February 27 2008 at 12:43 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

The lack of respect NBC gives it's audiences gives me a lot of mistrust of this Network. Most Networks will at least let a series that has been on 5 years to let them have a proper finish or final episode. But NBC,... well hell no! They don't care. For fans of Heros be wary. If the ratings go down a bit they'll just end it in mid-plot line. NBC is a second rate network. And that is being kind.

February 27 2008 at 12:34 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Anthony

So will other NBC series continue to use the Montecito as their favorite fictional casino?

February 27 2008 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply