September 2, 2014

HBO: no On-Demand premiere for Wire finale

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Feb 27th 2008 5:55PM

Dominic West as Jimmy McNulty on 'The Wire.'Interesting bit of news just came into TV Squad headquarters:

HBO has nixed the early On-Demand premiere of The Wire series finale. Set to bow on Sunday, March 9th from 9:00 to 10:35PM, that airing of the finale episode (entitled "-30-") will be its first.

This bucks the trend of debuting each new episode On-Demand the Monday before its Sunday premiere. HBO maintained this practice for all of season four and had been doing the same with season five, until now. This Sunday's new episode (it's the second to last one) has been On-Demand since Monday.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Not going to lie -- since I cover The Wire, it's been really nice to watch everything days in advance and have the opportunity to get my posts up minutes after the episodes air. While I understand the desire to drum up buzz for the finale, I don't think this will help all that much. For an episode as anticipated as this one, I'd think that anyone who truly appreciates this show would understandably jump at the chance to see it early, but would then probably end up watching the broadcast premiere anyway.

Tk68

The Wire is by far the finest show of this season, and many seasons for that matter. I'm so bummed to say goodbye to Michael, Bubs, Mcnutty, Freeman, Chris, Marlo, these characters are so infused with soul, good or bad, its more likely I'll miss them all the more in their passing. Like Emily once said, "parting is all we know of heaven, and all we need of hell"

March 06 2008 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shy

It was done for season 4 also. The finale wasn't put up on Demand. I feel that everyone should wait, just for the simple fact that everyone does not have demand. I enjoyed seeing everything in advanced, but I would like to be surprised at the end just as everyone else is. When you know what happens, you can't keep your mouth shut for a whole week.

March 05 2008 at 5:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
William Box

Hi from HBO, THE WIRE fans. We saw that a few of you were upset that the series finale wasn't going to be put on HBO On Demand in advance of its airing on standard HBO as we've done with all the other episodes from this season. From the comments here it looks like most of you have already figured out why.

Just to put in our two cents and confirm what you seem to have already figured out, it has to do with not spoiling the finale for all those THE WIRE fans who don't have HBO On Demand. Keep in mind, we're not just talking a season-ender here, but the big finish for the series. What eagerly-awaiting THE WIRE fan would want that ruined?

Glad to see you all understand. We think you'll find it was worth the wait.

March 03 2008 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to William Box's comment
estnyc

-30-

What you'd expect an old newspaper man to use for the finale's title.

Fitting, and sad.

March 05 2008 at 1:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric Munn

Shhheeeeeeet! The Clay Davis thing is sweet. Im still gutted I cant watch the finale tonight though : (

March 03 2008 at 5:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Benjy

There's a hilarious announcement video on HBO On Demand featuring an announcer saying that the series finale wouldn't premier on HBO on Demand with a clip of Clay Davis in reply saying his trademark "Sheeeeeit!"

March 03 2008 at 12:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Quito

Trying to drum up ratings to prove once and for all that people do watch the show, eh HBO?

Oh well. It is frustrating having been able to watch all the other episodes early, but I get it. They want to go out with a bang. But I am really happy that its going to be an hour and 35 minutes. That is going to be great!

February 28 2008 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
healyemlissa

devastating news! My husband and I will actually be away when the finale will air and we were planning on getting it On-Demand before we went away so we can obsess over it during the entire vacation. Now we'll have to wait until at least March 15th to see it. Tears are forming....

February 28 2008 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amy

OK, this is completely weird, but I can't find the original news about this. Maybe I'm just psychic, because I've been telling people this the entire season and even blogged that I was glad my boss wouldn't be able to see the finale before me.

If I come across it later today, I'll respond again....

February 28 2008 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amy

This isn't new, though - HBO announced this before the season even premiered.

February 28 2008 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to amy's comment
Jonathan Toomey

Where did you see this Amy? The press release I received yesterday was the first I heard of it...

February 28 2008 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Usama

I don't have HBO and have to wait for the people who have onDemand to uh.. share it. Anyway, as much as I'd like to see this episode right away, I'm fine with this decision. I just wish I had HBO, or knew someone who did. Oh well, I can wait a day or two. Come Sun night I'm going to ignore TVSquad for a few days.

February 27 2008 at 11:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply