October 24, 2014

Jericho: Jennings & Rall

by Paul Goebel, posted Feb 27th 2008 8:39AM

Skeet Ulrich(S02E03) "Thanks for your help, Sheriff." - Goetz

The prodigal weirdo returns! I know that, like me, many of you were hoping that Dale wouldn't return this season. However, it's clear that the actor and the character have grown quite a bit, so maybe he won't be so annoying this season. Quite frankly as long as his irritating girlfriend doesn't show up, I'm happy.

I don't know about you but I'm getting a little tired of seeing Dale get kicked around. he seems to be the only merchant in town and yet every time he makes a bold decision he ends up getting slapped down by someone. I don't think that he or the rest of Jericho are going to accept that Jennings & Rall get to make the rules but don't have to play by them.

One return we were all expecting was DB Sweeney as Goetz. I liked how he laid it out for Jake from the get-go. It's becoming readily apparent that if Jake wants to protect his town, he's going to have to come clean about what went on in Iraq and not just to his brother.

I have always liked DB Sweeney. I've enjoyed him on all the canceled FOX shows he's been on and he seems like a genuine nice guy. On Jericho however, his reputation as a nice guy is so at odds with his portrayal of Goetz as a bullying thug that it's really unnerving to watch. When he cornered Kenchy, I was genuinely concerned that he might kill the town doctor.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but the parallels between Ravenwood & Blackwater and the Cheyenne government & the Bush administration seem like a pretty bold move. It's almost as if the writers decided that since the show had already been canceled once they might as well go all out and say what they really want to say. Moreover, I wonder what the die-hard Bush supporters who watch this show are thinking.

The last return was that of "Blueberry" Bob Stephenson as Jimmy. I had completely forgotten that he knew about Sarah. The great part about Jimmy's return is that it forced Hawkins to make an offensive move towards Beck. Instead of running, he walks right into Beck's office and pulls rank on him. Once again, proving who owns the biggest balls in Jericho.

It seems like the predictions about Jake, Hawkins and Beck eventually teaming up are likely to come true. It's not that surprising considering what we've seen of Beck thus far but I like the way it's playing out. My favorite part is watching Esai Morales seethe through every episode knowing that he has to lose it eventually.

I feel like we got just enough of the Richmond clan in this episode. It makes sense that Bonnie would want to see what opportunities there are for her in Cheyenne, but, I for one, would hate to see her go. Not just because she is so crazy beautiful but also because scenes like the one between her and Stanley done almost entirely in sign language are the kind of things that make Jericho stand out from other shows.

This was my favorite episode so far. The showdown in the warehouse had me riveted and it was great to see Trish doing the right thing. The only bad part is that the screener I got only had the first three episodes on it so now I have to wait until next week and find out who the guy on the phone was just like everyone else. Damn you J&R!

Who will be the next Jericho resident to die?
Eric31 (11.8%)
Heather37 (14.1%)
Darcy51 (19.5%)
Emily22 (8.4%)
Bonnie121 (46.2%)

The Constitutionalist

Why pray tell can't we just enjoy the show without all the liberal assholes making fucked up comments about the Bush Adminstration? Every one of you can line up to kiss my Scottish ass. IT'S A TV SHOW. Let's enjoy it, eh?

March 07 2008 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deadly Friend

Advertisers dont care about DVR numbers because people specifically use DVR's to blow past commercials - if viewers are watching the advertisers commercials and in turn buying their products, they dont count. Its a really bad sign when a show like NCIS at 8pm Tuesdays running against American Idol bags 11 million viewers for a REPEAT episode and a fresh episode of Jericho gets 5.9 million not running against American Idol and also loses out to repeats of Law & Order. If Jericho survives at all it will be on a cable network like SCI-FI. And even that is an open question if viewer numbers keep falling.

March 06 2008 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Insert Name

The neilsen numbers may not be high, but all other media sources are. Jericho came in at number 8 for the top 20 DVR numbers. Over half a million hits on the CBS website in 7 days. This show has a strong following regardless of what anyone says.
Email: audsvcs@cbs.com and tell CBS you watched Jericho.

March 05 2008 at 9:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Noppie

I love Jericho. I can't wait until the next show..
This is the best show on TV.. NO MORE REALITY SHOWS. On March 4 they announced that three more episodes for the season..
so maybe there will be season three.. I hope so .. This is a very different show not another like it..
have a great day and WATCH JERICHO

March 05 2008 at 4:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deadly Friend

Jericho producers from the start said that Season 2 was basically turning Kansas into occupied Iraq. Which indicated they were going all left wing/moonbat. They have done just that. Tomarchio is Bush (head Neo-con), Thomas Valente is Dick Cheney with a splash of Karl Rove. Dick Cheney ran Haliburton which is Jennings and Rall on Jericho. Cheney has spend most of his life in Wyoming - where the ASA government is located. It was ridiculous how they put this line in episode 3 when Hawkins was talking with Major Beck and they shook hand - Hawkins said "...and NO POLITICS". Yeah, and Im the Queen of England. Will Goetz waterboard Jake next? I think this is part of the reason Jericho has lost 20% of hits 2nd Half Season 1 audience. Last season the Iraq references were subtle and not ham-fisted. This season. They are basically shouting "The bomb plotters are the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy of Neocons and the Military Industrial Complex run by evil white guys that resemble George Bush and Dick Cheney !!!" I agree with the implausibility of the military supporting a government like the Allied States of America. Military units are made up of people from both east and west. I cant imagine some nuclear submarine commander from New York taking orders from some clown like Tomarachio. Fights would break out in military units and the military would collapse. Maybe this was part of CBS's plan to get revenge on the fans and kill the show for good after using it to poke a finger in the eye of its conservative fan base. Didnt Battlestar Galactica get the axe after they did a similar Iraq plot line and the ratings dropped?

March 03 2008 at 8:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lovelain

i wasn't apart of the fan campaign to bring the show back, but i did love and watch the first season (ditto for the second) and it really blows that the show is in danger again and so soon. hopefully what was reported on the other day will be a possibility, though, when the exec. producer said it could wind up on a cable network.

February 28 2008 at 11:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maybei

lol, Hawkins does ROCK!! Great episode!!

maybei
www.radiofreejericho.com

February 28 2008 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
klhldh

I think its funny how all the anti-bush people are LOVING this show, but while talking about the show, they say Gray Anderson is weak( I agree, he reminds me of all the Dems, all talk, no action) they LOVE mayor Greene( he remindes me of Reps willing to make hard choices for the better good)

February 28 2008 at 10:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to klhldh's comment
Bobby

February 28 2008 at 11:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

"I think it's funny that you're trying to relate a fictional TV show with anything political."

Yeah, that's just silly, right, Bobby? I mean, it's not like the idiot who wrote this article did anything like that because that would mean the people paid to create this site are grasping at straws, too.

Methinks you should actually read the article before you type. I guess they ought to change the url to Grasping-At-Straws-Squad.com.

March 02 2008 at 3:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George...Long Island

Everyone might want to have to sets of thoughts and theories regarding Jericho's episode plot lines.

I have read that there are 2 endings already filmed and in the can for Jericho. One is said to be a semi cliff hanger and will be aired if Jericho get another season. The other is said to be either a complete recovery of Jericho and the country or a doom and gloom ending.

I can't understand why the number Jericho's viewers are so low...it really doesn't have anything of value at this time slot to compete with.

February 27 2008 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to George...Long Island's comment
Insert Name

Nothing of value has ever played at that time slot for a reason. People who watched the entire first season love the show and worked very hard to get these new episodes. CBS didn't throw Jericho a bone after the nuts campain. They threw it a cinder block, and Jericho still is alive.
Here is a link to an exclusive clip from next Tuesday's episode with logline and password info:
Login: rangers Password: jerichonuts
----
Jericho Season 2 - Tues 10/9C on CBS
Email: audsvcs@cbs.com and tell CBS you watched Jericho.

March 05 2008 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

God, I love this show and really hope it doesn't get cancelled again. Although, pulling the symbolism card is a very good way to keep the show on the air. It worked really well for House and a few others.

February 27 2008 at 9:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply