October 25, 2014

New showrunner for Dirty Sexy Money

by Allison Waldman, posted Feb 27th 2008 11:23AM
dirty sexy 2There's a new guy running the show for ABC's drama Dirty Sexy Money and his name is Daniel Cerone. Cerone replaces Josh Reims. As executive producer, Cerone will be working with creator Craig Wright (Lost), as well as Greg Berlanti (Brothers & Sisters), Matthew Gross and Bryan Singer (House) -- so the show's got lots of first-class pedigree. Now they have to put it all together for the show.

Cerone is expected to bring more edge to the dark dramedy, perhaps because he's been so successful doing the same thing as co-executive producer on Showtime's Dexter. In an interview with Hollywood Reporter, he said, "Since the pilot, I felt like the show had some of the best potential for storytelling and exploration of characters both on the light and the dark side."

He doesn't plan earth-shattering changes for the series. "It's more about keeping all the best elements and adding as much intrigue, drama and danger as we possibly can." If Cerone is right, the recent WGA strike may have been a blessing in disguise for Dirty Sexy Money. "There is a real desire to essentially relaunch Dirty Sexy Money." That said, as TV Squad previously reported, ABC has ordered 13 episodes for next season; there'll be no more new shows this spring.

Argus

This is the first I've heard about the left over episodes not airing. So they're just going to be scrapped then?

February 27 2008 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

My initial reaction echoed sentiments above -- this is a nice "light" show, it doesn't need dark.

But thinking about it, Cerone did "Dexter" (which I think is an excellently done serial drama with a witty, light side to it) so I'm going to trust his showrunning skills and hope for the best.

February 27 2008 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mr. O

I'm personally excited about the change. If you watch the scenes ABC released for the upfronts last year (that also appeared on their site) it seemed to be a much more serious show than ended up airing.

In particular, the ridiculous up-tempo score that lies so heavily over every scene simply didn't exist. Nick George is trying to find out who murdered his father...is it really tonally appropriate for there really be a "Las Vegas"-style levity to the show?

That said, they absolutely risk alienating current viewers by revamping the show's core profile. I'm happier with the current version being on the air than no version at all...and that's exactly where the show could end up if the redesign is too radical.

February 27 2008 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

When will ABC learn!?

They did it with Commander and Chief, killed it, they did it with Brothers and Sister, they did it for Women's Murder Club, enough is enough.

However the show does need to add something more than it already has, but I'm not sure what, it just needs a little kick.

February 27 2008 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Oreo's comment
Joey Geraci

All three were piss-poor before and after, so I'm not sure what you think the "did". (I was rooting for Commander in Chief, but it was just not that good of a show)

February 27 2008 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Joey you might want to look your facts up before commenting. Women's murder Club hasn't shown the episodes with the new people in command yet.

And Commander and Chief was one of the biggest shows of the last few years. it wasn't good while thinking of West Wing but it was decent and had a lot of room to grow.

February 27 2008 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

The show was fine the way it was. If it goes darker I suspect it will lose it's audience.

February 27 2008 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CJ

Um. When did this show need anything darker or lighter?

February 27 2008 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

To make Dirty, Sexy, Money darker? ugh...I like the humor and lightheartedness in it...I know it has dark issues (affairs, possible murder, etc)...but I like the humorous parts most.

February 27 2008 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply