October 25, 2014

quarterlife: Quarterlife (series premiere) - VIDEO

by Paul Goebel, posted Feb 27th 2008 2:35PM

Bitsie Tulloch(S01E01) Generally, when I watch a new show, I try to give it the benefit of the doubt before I make a decision. First episodes of new shows are often full of bad choices. Poor casting, too much exposition, bad hair styles. all of which are usually remedied by the second episode. With that in mind, i have to say that I found the first ten minutes of quarterlife incredibly irritating. First of all, the title and premise of the show is insulting to me. I assume since Zwick and Herskovitz already did thirtysomething, they were hesitant to call this show twentysomething. Unfortunately, that's all the show is, a bunch of friends in their twenties, trying to make their mark.

I like the idea of a show that is based around someone's personal blog. Everyone has a blog these days so it makes perfect sense. Furthermore, I like seeing what can happen when you cross the line in your personal blog. The internet is still a mystical thing to a lot of people. They don't understand that what you put out there can be seen by everyone who will ever exist until the end of the world. People too often, treat the internet like a receptacle where they throw things away and never think about them again.

My real problem with this show is more a problem with myself. When I watched thirtysomething one of the reasons I loved it is because it was about people who were living a life I had no knowledge of. They were married, had kids, suffering from cancer, owned their own failing businesses and they lived in Philadelphia. They might as well have been from a different planet as far as the 25-year-old me was concerned. On quarterlife, these people are living a life that I have already seen. They're idealistic, failing at relationships, taking acting classes and falling in love with each other. Personally, I've been there and the idea of reliving it doesn't grab me. That being said, there may be plenty of younger folks who find the show interesting because they can identify with it.

As for the characters, my favorite has to be Andy. I always enjoy the supporting characters who don't seem to have any problems and spend their time making funny comments. I'm sure eventually, Andy will be just as angst-ridden as the rest of the cast, but in this first episode, he was my favorite. My least favorite character would have to be Dylan. Her manufactured persona of the tortured artist trying to make it in the commercial world is only made worse by her jittery, irritating demeanor. I understand that, for the most part, the cast is made up of unknown talent, but aside from the pretty girls, there wasn't much there to engage me.

The final nail in the coffin had to be the conversation about happiness and the Karaoke finale. Since when did getting on stage and doing a bad cover version of a pop hit become the ultimate expression of artistic freedom. I love Karaoke and I do it as often as I can but I never feel like an artist afterwards. In fact, part of the reason I do it is because it's a great excuse to be stupid. Moreover any bar that filled with people that supportive of a Karaoke performance is far too pretentious for it's own good.

All in all, I didn't really enjoy the show, but I know it's not really made for me, so take that for what's worth.

Will you be watching Quarterlife?
Yes85 (34.4%)
No162 (65.6%)

eric f

Did any of the haters of this show try to watch it with an open mind after the first 10 minutes. I knew nothing about it going in, and at first was a little annoyed by how often the camera cut to different angles. However, 30 minutes into the show I was sold and I will watch as many episodes as they give me. I personally think that Dylan is charming in her awkwardness.

What world do you people live in to think that it's unusual for white kids to have mostly white friends, or vise versa? it's pretty common... in the city too. I am actually thankful to not have the stereotypical token "black girl with attitude" thrown in just because.

February 29 2008 at 8:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Lawler

If I wanted to listen to a twentysomething blogger whine endlessly about BS, I'd just look in the mirror. It was a cast of the most unlikeable characters ever written. That it was also a Friends-ian "everyone we know is white" was just the icing on the cake of a horrible show.

February 29 2008 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michale

Is it really hard to believe that 6 white people can be friends in LA and not have another ethnicity within their core group?
I'd say its quite common, and not deliberately so.

February 28 2008 at 3:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mgrace

Too much of a white cast for my taste. That normally doesn't matter much to me, but to be set in the middle of L.A., come on now. Try harder at casting, please.

Unless all white people in their mid-twenties behave this way. Do they?

February 27 2008 at 11:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryofNorVA

Liked It

I'd hate to see it cancelled so quickly as Robin indicates. I thought the show had a lot of merit, good production values, good acting, and showed some real insight into happiness, relationships, and cut-throat employment. The show deserves more of a chance especially since it's a great alternative to all the reality flotsam out there. If it fails out, fine, we'll just pick it up where it began -- at myspace.com/quarterlife.

February 27 2008 at 10:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robin Diane Goldstein

from the Hollywood Reporter:

NBC's 'quarterlife' shortchanges net
By James Hibberd

Feb 28, 2008
UPDATED 1:30 p.m. PST, Feb. 27, 2008

The debut of NBC's new series "quarterlife" marked the network's worst time-period performance in at least 17 years and has thrown the show's fate into imminent jeopardy.

Premiering Tuesday night at 10 p.m., "quarterlife" received a 1.3 national rating among adults 18 to 49 (3.1 million viewers and a 4 share). The show came in a distant last place in the hour despite having a relatively strong lead-in from "The Biggest Loser" (8.1 million, 3.1/8).

The show had a preliminary rating of 1.6 this morning, then dropped sharply in the afternoon nationals after Nielsen factored local station pre-emptions from the Democratic primary debate.

Though no official cancellation has been announced, sources say the series may be yanked after a single airing -- a rare event that previously occurred when Fox axed "Anchorwoman" last summer.

February 27 2008 at 9:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
j

I'm 23. I know I'm not in my "quarterlife" yet, but I honestly couldn't stand this show. It's okay though, I'm living life instead of watching depressed characters on TV be whiny. I feel like being in your 20s as more of a dark comedy. Everthing is going to suck but there's a lot of laughs to be had afterwards.

February 27 2008 at 9:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

I just find having a completely white cast for a story that happens in the middle of LA is just really boring. I can see it if it's like Everwood, but really, in this day and age of multi-ethnicity, you have 6 white guys and gals for a show that's about discovering what their lives means...didn't we see that in Dawson's creek for so many years....I mean throw in at least 1 ethnic guy or girl for heaven's sake...it's so boring and 90's. We've seen that so many freaken times. Get with the times and cast someone else besides a bunch of pretty white boys and girls...no offense, not trying to be racist, just can't phatom why they didn't even put in one something else in the mix.

February 27 2008 at 9:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Paul's comment
kevjohn

That's the same gripe I've had since forever, espcially the lilywhite versions of New York that the writers love conjuring up (Friends, Seinfeld, Gossip Girl, etc., etc.). Any show set in a major city that lacks any diversity, lacks realism IMO.

February 28 2008 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joanne

Was the TV version any different from the online episodes? I'd been watching it online during the strike and somehow it manges to get both better and worse as it goes on.

February 27 2008 at 9:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StrikerObi

Drat, I meant to say I DIDN'T share a single thing in common with them. Edit function please!

February 27 2008 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply