April 20, 2014

Yup, ABC and FOX are interested in Leno

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 27th 2008 3:25PM

Jay LenoBill Carter over at The New York Times is reporting that ABC and FOX (as well as Sony Pictures Television) have indeed started their campaign to lure Jay Leno over to their networks once Conan O'Brien takes over for Leno at NBC's Tonight Show next year.

Now, the two networks can't "legally" try to get Leno right now, but senior executives at the companies have been getting word to Leno through other sources that they are interested in doing business with him in some way. NBC wants to keep Leno at their network as well, perhaps as host of another show, prime time specials, or maybe as host of a late night infomercial about non-stick pans. Leno's contract runs though the end of 2009, though he probably won't actually be on the air the last half.

Carter's article is quite interesting and informative, summarizing the late night landscape quite well and what the future might hold, including the possibility of Jimmy Fallon taking over for O'Brien at 12:35.

Of course, the headline says something about Jay Leno being the "king" of late night. I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Jolene

I have been watching "The Tonight Show, with Jay Leno" for several years. I can not imagine him leaving the show. To me late night tv will never be the same, I absoltulty LOVE HIM. Not any other host will be able to fill his shoes. What ever network he goes to I will follow. I hope he takes Kevin Ubank with him.
Jolene, Newborn, Ga.

March 04 2008 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Obligatory Peter Griffin quote on every Leno post:

"If Jay Leno makes you laugh, chances are I don't like you as a person."

February 28 2008 at 6:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry Phillips

If Mr. Leno continues on another network, he will be competing both against his Tonight Show replacement and against David Letterman. Not as easy as it sounds.

Leno deserves much credit for his success. However, at least PART of his viewership may be the Tonight Show ITSELF, no matter who is hosting. The Tonight Show is as much a PLACE as a PERSON!

Jay may find much of the magic gone if he has to work from a different platform.

February 27 2008 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

I enjoy Jimmy Fallon's sketch work, and think he has great energy, but I don't know how he would do as a talk show host. By himself he still has energy, but he always seemed a little off kilter. Overall, I think +1 to this.

February 27 2008 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Argus's comment
ac

Yes but the alternitive is bumping Carson Daily to the 12:30 spot. And Daily is so bad he makes the writers of Meet the Spartans look good. Besides a talk show allows Fallon to do what he does best, looking at the cameras the whole time and cracking up.

February 27 2008 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

I'm not a big Leno fan at all.

It's interesting now, looking back, why Leno agreed to step away from the iconic Tonight Show when he was top dog and still is.

Now it looks like he might have the last laugh--literally. According to the New York Times, Sony has waived $40 million which means that he would be paid $10 million more than Letterman.

February 27 2008 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tool's comment
TheGuy

"They must have had some dirt on him, but I suspect that Leno is quite agreeable and the good guy. NBC probably appealed to that part of him."

No. Conan was tired of waiting for Leno to pass-on the Tonight Show to him, so he was considering offers from other networks. They signed-up Conan early to prevent him from leaving, but it looks like it'll cost NBC Leno though.

February 27 2008 at 5:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

The ratings prove that there are a lot of dumbasses out there that like Leno's sick style of humor.

However it would be very smart for ABC to get him and cancel Nightline.

February 27 2008 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Oreo's comment
Eugene

people don't like what I like, they're stupid! I hate them!

... nah man, jay's ratings doesn't prove that people are dumbasses, it just proves what a stuck up little brat you are.

February 27 2008 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

Ratings only prove that people are tuning in because of the name--not Leno but of The Tonight Show. Everyone buys brand names and The Tonight Show is the Coke, the Chevy, the McDonald's of late night based on name value. Based on actual product--well it's just as hit and miss as all of the other brands I've stated.

And frankly, humor is something you can't quantify. Leno's shtick--while boring to people that like more spice and though in their jokes--works well for people with linear senses of humor. It's impossible to compare Letterman to Leno and frankly I'll always be biased to Letterman since he and I are alumni of the same university.

However, Leno going to ABC would be terrible. I don't like Kimmel as much as I do Letterman or Conan (or even Ferguson) but he's a gold mine for a demo that Conan long surpassed and Letterman hasn't come close to entertaining in decades. Not to mention Kimmel enjoys what he's doing and is young compared to his late night kin. What you'd pay him and the viewers and sponsors he brings is well worth it.

That said, no matter your sense of humor I think we all can agree that Jimmy Fallon is not funny and would tank in the 12:35 spot. Hell, I don't think he's even worth getting rid of Carson Daly who can't host his own party never mind a late night show.

How come I'm not writing for this blog?

February 28 2008 at 12:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Viv

Nobody cares that the TVsquad bloggers hate Leno and threw up all over themselves. The ratings do prove Leno is the KING of late night tv. I know you guys are Worldwide Pants payroll but show the man some respect.

February 27 2008 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply