October 24, 2014

Good news and bad news for Spaced

by Annie Wu, posted Mar 3rd 2008 7:00PM
SpacedLet's start with the good news, because I like ending on a downer. American fans of the British comedy Spaced, starring Simon Pegg, Jessica Hynes (nee Stevenson), and Nick Frost, are in for a treat because the Spaced Region 1 DVD finally has a release date! Expect the good stuff to come out July 23 of this year. I'm tempted to buy it just because it's something new, shiny, and Spaced-related, but I already splurged on the 3-Disc Collectors' Set and a region-free player that I got just so that I could watch the series. Why, yes, I am a sad little person.

It goes without saying that I'm a huge fan of the series. Without it, I'd be an empty, Jaffa Cake-less shell of a human being. It is this very same love that has caused me to join the angry mob of fans against the upcoming Americanized version of Spaced, not-so-affectionately called "McSpaced" because of its creative force here, McG. Yes, this is the bad news. It looks like the series is going to become increasingly likely and nobody but McG (and maybe FOX) looks happy. Recently, Simon Pegg issued a statement on his fansite and director Edgar Wright has been updating pretty frequently on the issue. The more I hear about it, the more frustrated I get. A part of me would rather have them rip off the idea and not associate it with my precious Spaced at all.

Can't we just talk it out over tea and A-Team theme remixes?

Cody

Sometimes I break out into rave dance when the crosswalk by my building starts beeping.

March 10 2008 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

I join my cries of distaste to the chorus. I was first introduced to Spaced while living in the UK in 2001, and I own R2 copies of both series (and the requisite region-free DVD player). I can't speak highly enough of the show (which is potentially my most quoted of all time), and the idea of McG making a similar show fills me with despair. For pete's sake, just show the original!

March 04 2008 at 9:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cat

I too have an all region DVD and it was all because of SPACED...Down with the McG version!! It's pure blasphemy!

March 04 2008 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
L.

I'm hoping (though not holding my breath, as the 3 disc set has tons of extras already) that the Region 1 dvd has some new bonus features. They did an event called "Spaced on Stage" in London in November where the cast (save Jessica Hynes, who was filming a movie) did a q & a and talked about the show. That would be nice to see on there. I'm pretty sure someone was taping it in a semi-official capacity, but I could be wrong.

As for McSpaced, that's just a shame. It would seem that they're simply taking the concept and name of the show, which any fan of Spaced will tell you has very little to do with what made the show so good. And if by some voodoo miracle the show ends up with even a fraction of the quality of the original, it's already soured for many people due to the US creative team claiming, but never asking for, the support of the original creators/cast/crew. Either you care enough to ask for their blessing, or you don't bandy their names about in an attempt to lend the show credibility. It can't be both.

March 04 2008 at 8:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BartmanDK

This just make me angry.. Spaced is one of my all-time favorites! And when this McSpaced bombs Spaced will by association get a bad reputation by people who have only seen McSpaced

March 04 2008 at 2:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Neoxkc

Okay, good I guess. I didn't think they'd be that stupid. It still sucks what they are about to do to a great comedy.

PS: I really can't stand McG's body of work.

March 03 2008 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Neoxkc

"McSpaced?" That is the stupidest ideas I've ever heard. This is sad because I love "Spaced."

March 03 2008 at 8:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Neoxkc's comment
Annie W.

Don't worry, it's not the real title. It's just what Wright and company have been calling it. It's too perfect.

March 03 2008 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply